Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham still amazed at changing situation

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Phumtham still amazed at changing situation

Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30215068-01_big.gif
Phumtham

BANGKOK: -- Phumtham Wechayachai, secretary-general of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, has spent much of his political career attending closed-door meetings with the party's strategic committee, led by former premier Somchai Wongsawat, as well as with the PM's taskforce, among others.

His other key task is monitoring news websites every day to see what they are saying. He also works closely behind the scenes with influential politicians to evaluate the government's situation.

Seven years ago, Phumtham worked closely with then-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and was seen by many as the PM's "heart". The "brain" behind Thaksin was then PM's secretary-general Prommin Lertsuridej.

So now the question arises: Is Phumtham aspiring to become Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's "think-tank"? He responds to this with a laugh, saying: "I'm a politician who is concerned about the country, so I will do my best to do my duty."

When asked if Prommin was still serving as the brains, Phumtham said he could not speak for him. "You should ask the owner of the body. I'm the heart, I will do my duty," he said, adding that politicians who worked for Thaksin now need to adapt themselves.

As for whether Thaksin and Yingluck's hearts beat in time, Phumtham said: "The prime minister has her own 'heart'," adding that the prime minister was a flexible person who is ready to learn new things and has strong leadership skills.

"She is successful in her position. Pheu Thai MPs respect and trust her," he said, adding that Yingluck had achieved this without having to play the role of a "jae" - a Chinese slang term for a powerful woman.

As for Yingluck evading media questions, Phumtham responded by saying: "This is her style and strategy. A leader does not need to say everything, but needs to know everything that is going on."

Yet despite these qualities, Thaksin's aides still need to come to her rescue on some important issues, such as the political reform forum she has initiated. Other than the politicians assigned by the PM to invite stakeholders to join the forum, there is also a small group of Thaksin's aides working secretly on the plan.

"I cannot tell you who I talked with, but the PM really needs all parties to join the forum. At this stage, the government is trying to focus on common ideas and is avoiding issues that are difficult to agree upon," he said.

As for the opposition Democrat Party's parallel forum on political reform, Phumtham wanted to know why the Democrats were visiting the same people who had agreed to meet government representatives.

When asked to comment on the Democrat plan to form an alliance with other anti-government groups, Phumtham refused to answer, saying: "You know I like to watch the [anti-government] ASTV, T-News and BlueSky channels. I'm a big fan of them."

As for what issue would pose the highest risk for this government, he said the opposition tried to block the government's every move, which led to chaos in the House. "I wonder if the Democrats intend to create a condition for 'special powers' to get involved. If that is not the case, they should change their standpoint," he said.

Phumtham also said he was amazed at a recent development involving the judiciary. Former Constitutional Court president Wasan Soypisudh had warned that the government could be deemed as violating the Constitution for failing to declare its achievements before Parliament.

The charter requires that the administration report to Parliament about its achievements every year.

"Wasan has destroyed the judiciary tradition. It seems as if he is trying to influence Constitutional Court judges. I don't know if this will lead to 'tulakan phiwat' [judicial activism] or not. Anything can happen in Thai politics. What amazes me is that the changes have taken place so often," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-18

"I'm a politician who is concerned about the country, so I will do my best to do my duty."

I wonder if even he believes this?

I for sure do not

IMO people in Thailand are in politics for personal and financial gain ..... and power

Nothing surer and so often it's very thinly disguised.

Why do all Peua Thai members have this obsession with the Dems/PAD/etc trying to create conditions for the army to step in and conduct another coup. Total denial that perhaps maybe the opposition are opposing unacceptable behsviour or PT in govt.

I think this time around They made sure they bought and paid off the army not to interfere.

" Closed doors, beind the scenes etc " says it all. What PTP plans in secret is world's away from the BS they give out in public.

He gave himself away as a complete tosser with the comment " I'm a politician who is concerned about my country, so i will do my best to do my duty " !

Unfortunately he forgot to add " providing it doesn't clash with my own personal interests ".

You beat me to it

" I'm a politician who is concerned about my country, so i will do my best to do my duty " !

And his own personnel interests are received through the support and excusing of idiotic things coming from the table of the Shinawatra clan. Just like a puppy dog laying at the feet of it's master at the diner table eating scraps.

"I cannot tell you who I talked with, but the PM really needs all parties to join the forum. At this stage, the government is trying to focus on common ideas and is avoiding issues that are difficult to agree upon," he said."

I thought the forum was to solve the problems that were difficult to agree on. The easy ones can be dealt in front of the nation in Parliament. In fact the forums are just being used to push the PTPredshirt agenda with out change to it.

He can't even be open enough to tell us who he talked to.

He has three sayings

1 Yes sir Mister Thaksin sir

2 How high Mister Thaksin Sir

3 What color Mister Thaksin Sir.

• Like 2

'' A leader does not need to say everything but needs to know everything that is going on ''......Hmmm; rather difficult when most of the time she is out of the country.

Anyway; even if she did know everything that is going on would she even begin to understand any of it ?

"I'm a politician who is concerned about the country, so I will do my best to do my duty."

I wonder if even he believes this?

I for sure do not

IMO people in Thailand are in politics for personal and financial gain ..... and power

Pretry much the same as in any country.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app