Access To News Groups

Bobcat

I have been trying all day to access newsgroups - the alt.binaries type. I am using True ADSL ut I am not sue what their news server address is or ho to properly configure in outlook. Has anyone managed to set this up?

Thanks,

Bob

I have been trying all day to access newsgroups - the alt.binaries type. I am using True ADSL ut I am not sue what their news server address is or ho to properly configure in outlook. Has anyone managed to set this up?

Thanks,

Bob

Do true have servers? I use a paid service (usenetserver.com) and I get an excellent, consistent 56k / download rate.

I do not believe TRUE offers a USENET server. In any case none of the servers in Thailand are worth a bean as they only have a very small percentage of posts so if you are after something with many parts you will never get them all and just following a discussion group is next to impossible.

The alternative is paying for access. Those servers have almost all posts. But my experience with the last server I used was that TRUE seemed to be limiting bandwidth so it became impossible to download anything more than a few KB.

The free alternative is to try and find a free or unguarded server. There are websites that will give you current listing but you will have to keep changing as they come and go.

USENET is a black hole here in Thailand in my experience. But would welcome hearing anything positive.

I use Teranews (US based) which offers a free account (except for a one time $3.95 setup fee - lifetime) but limited to 50MB/day. They also offer several other plans for monthly or 6-month payments.

Loxley used to have a news server, don't know if it is public or if still there. Getting a free public usenet server that has a large list is difficult plus they are very transient, changing or folding in short time.

Edited by tywais

You'd be lucky if you could get anyone at a Thai ISP to even know what usenet is. Even if they have a server, it would be pitiful. It's not that different for the majority of ISPs around the world... the volume of usenet traffic is in the terabytes, so having a full-fledged server means high costs for the ISP.

Just pay for a service... it's not that expensive. I have an unlimited usenet service that gives around 1mbps throughput for $10/month.