Bangkok set to be hit by massive rainstorms on Sep 19-20

webfact

Bangkok set to be hit by massive rainstorms on Sep 19-20

BANGKOK, 18 September 2013 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has warned that all districts of the capital will be hit by heavy rainstorms during September 19 and 20 which may cause widespread flooding.

Deputy Bangkok governor Sanya Cheenimitr said dredging works have been carried out in major canals and sewers, and water pumps have been installed in preparation for the massive downpours.

He urged commuters to avoid imminent traffic congestion by choosing to trvale during off peak hours during the storm. Residents who require further assistance are advised to call the BMA hotline at 1555.

The BMA has listed Bang Sue, Chatuchak, Dusit and Sai Mai districts among 10 flood-prone and low-lying areas in Bangkok which are forecasted to be battered by rainfall of over 60 millimeters per hour.

Experts expressed concern at the prospect of heavy rain in the capital, as Bangkok as a basin does not have the drainage capacity that could handle large volume of rainfall.

Three coordination centers and several mobile units have been set up to deal with the possible deluge at Din Daeng, Bueng Nong Bon and Chatuchak.

Due to days of torrential rains, water flow through the Chao Phraya dam have increased, flooding communities in Ayutthaya province and damaging more than 1,000 homes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-18 footer_n.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And you are saying that just 1 day in advance?? LOL,... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Better then after is nt it

To be precisely, it's LESS than 24 h in advance,... so the raging September And October Climax is still on and around 45-50 days is a lot to worry about...

hopefull i wil still be able to get to swampy begin October , wil take extra insurance just to be sure , maybe book from Vientiane

abit more pricey but closer by

Experts expressed concern at the prospect of heavy rain in the capital, as Bangkok as a basin does not have the drainage capacity that could handle large volume of rainfall.

One day they're going to get a big surprise when large parts of the capital are under 2 meters of water for months and months on end.

That will wake them up and sort out the problems. Yup, no doubt about that.

Some off-topic, troll posts have been deleted and replies. Please stay on topic. This is a developing story and can have an affect on a lot of people. Nonsensical remarks only act to clutter the topic and make it hard for people to find accurate information.

Agree, maark mar.

I am arriving at BKK on September 24. I was in a hurry to get to Thailand and didn't want to just sit around in the States for another week or two waiting. Oh well. The adventure begins. I have been in Thailand for the Tsunami (luckily on Ko Samet instead of our scheduled Phuket plans), one week after the Thaksin overthrow. I was there during the Airport sit in. I was there during the Bangkok riots the next year when they even had a curfew in pattaya for a few nights! This trip, I guess maybe I will have to dodge some natural things.

• Like 1

I am arriving at BKK on September 24. I was in a hurry to get to Thailand and didn't want to just sit around in the States for another week or two waiting. Oh well. The adventure begins. I have been in Thailand for the Tsunami (luckily on Ko Samet instead of our scheduled Phuket plans), one week after the Thaksin overthrow. I was there during the Airport sit in. I was there during the Bangkok riots the next year when they even had a curfew in pattaya for a few nights! This trip, I guess maybe I will have to dodge some natural things.

Exactly the same. Was meant to be on Phi Phi on that Boxing Day, but was on Samet instead.

• Like 1

"Deputy Bangkok governor Sanya Cheenimitr said dredging works have been carried out in major canals and sewers, and water pumps have been installed in preparation for the massive downpours."

If the rest of the remediation work undertaken on the klongs is anything like the one we live next to you had better start to prepare for flooding. Sure an excavator on a barge dredged the klong but did they take away the debris? No way! The excavator just piled it up on the banks and guess what? It all washed straight back into the klong with the next heavy rainstorm. I could walk across the klong now due to it being not much more than a drain filed with hyacinth and rubbish. No way it is going to remove a massive amount of water any time soon.

I thought in order for flooding in Bangkok to be a big issue there had to be a lot of flooding outside greater Bangkok.

Tropical Depression 18 looks like it will dump a lot of water north of Bangkok.

Thanks for that......... well around here they have been getting ready for floods for last 3 months, the road that passes my Village to main road 13 KM long, they have made a lot lot higher, not all done yet, so if lots of rain north of me then the water will build up and will get flooded, so hope south so cannot pass this road.. but the the Villages on that side will be flooded..... 2011 they had water almost to the top of there downstairs windows..!

There again cannot see 50 cm + of sand and some hardcore on top of the old road will last that long, sides of the road already sinking and many places over 1 meter down to fields, and still a lot yet to tarmac, no firm edges just sand and gravel/hardcore.. I am not a road builder, but common sense tell me water will just wash this away, so the heavy Army truck will fall into craters.

I doubt it.

Off-topic posts and political commentary have been deleted. You may save your intelligent and ever so witty remarks until this storm system has passed.

For now, some posters need to know what is happening, where it is happening and how bad it might be.

Stay on topic, please.

Thanks to those who have posted useful links. thumbsup.gif

As someone who was used to having fully interactive weather data at my fingertips when I lived in the States, I have not had much luck finding the same here in Thailand. I used to be able to view nearly-live radar loops of Bangkok from TMD, but it seems they shut the service to the public on May 31 of this year. If anyone has other informative weather links a weather junkie would find useful, please post!