Help with Linksys router setup

davidstipek

I have a Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz router. I need to get wireless upstairs as signal from True's new Cable Intenet Package is about 1/2 what it is downstairs. True's Cable wireless Modem is a #TC7200.20 and the router I am trying to attach is a Linksys #WRT54G, dual antennas and with 4 ports.

I have already had it hardwired to get signal upstairs to Satelite box so I know that part works. then once the router is installed I just need to connect Sat. Box to one of the 4 ports.

Seems I can get router to work as long as I hardwire everything to it, but getting WIFI up and going is a different story. Any help would really be welcomed here. Just a Note seems that system has a Secure easy setup mode. But I think Disc got waylaid in America as we cannot find it here. I did purchase a Seperate power supply for use here in Thailand (correct Input/output voltages)

In the back of the router there is a very small hole, about the size you could put a standard paper clip. With the router unplugged, push a small object in there and hold it until a light blinks. That resets all settings in the router to default.

Now follow these instructions. They are talking about entering that IP address into your web browser to log into the router. The default user name and password are both admin.

Surf the settings on the left and set your own user/pass and then your should be able to use the wireless.

Remember to always reboot everything from the wall out, in that order. Modem, router, computer. Your computer can remember your user/pass forever and you just use the router.

Edit. I forgot to add that after all is set up, you still have to find the wireless signal and choose it, and enter the user/pass. I do that by clicking on the network icon in the tray, lower right on the monitor screen and clicking on "open network and sharing center," or by clicking Start and typing in:

network and sharing center

Edited by NeverSure

In the back of the router there is a very small hole, about the size you could put a standard paper clip. With the router unplugged, push a small object in there and hold it until a light blinks. That resets all settings in the router to default.

Now follow these instructions. They are talking about entering that IP address into your web browser to log into the router. The default user name and password are both admin.

Surf the settings on the left and set your own user/pass and then your should be able to use the wireless.

Remember to always reboot everything from the wall out, in that order. Modem, router, computer. Your computer can remember your user/pass forever and you just use the router.

Edit. I forgot to add that after all is set up, you still have to find the wireless signal and choose it, and enter the user/pass. I do that by clicking on the network icon in the tray, lower right on the monitor screen and clicking on "open network and sharing center," or by clicking Start and typing in:

network and sharing center

Neversure

Thanks for your input...

I have done this and as long as I am hard wired (computer to router) I have connection. It is the wireless signal that is causing issue. When I try to setup as I thought correct all I get on wireless end in limited access to Internet.

Not sure where issue is at this point. Security was loaded to assign wireless login lock. Works okay to open link but then still get limited access...

I had a similar problem in the past. try first re-configure the router security from WEP to WPA2-personal, with TKIP. then restart the modem, then router then computer.

if it doesn't work, try to update the firmware, may help.

David,

Are you still having issues with this, resolved it, or have thrown everything out the window?

wink.png Still having issues. Thanks everyone for tryingwai.gif Not thrown everything out the window... Yetcheesy.gif

Again, where I'm at now.

Downstairs, in Family Room we have cable box and True's Wireless Modem. It is hard wired to my Office (Where old TOT Modem Router was) and to wall plate where it plugs in and directs signal to upstairs Satelite Box. All of this wiring works as it has always directed internet signal to both areas as Satelite boxes are still in family room and upstairs.

Okay now Issue, I can connect (internet jack) the Linksys Router in my Office and run cable (from 1 of 4 ports) to wall port (plug). Still have internet hard wired upstairs and if I hard wire Notebook to another port on Router I have Internet Connection in my Office.clap2.gif

So far this all works. Now the Problem.whistling.gif

Unplugging the notebook and looking for wireless signal from Linksys, found!. Connect,ok! thumbsup.gif

LIMITED ACCESS - Cannot connect to Internet. Go back and disable signal and connect to True Wireless Modem Signal, Good! Connected ok!clap2.gif

Still cannot connect to Linksys wireless and have solid connection to Internet.wink.png

Edited by davidstipek

couple of possibilities :

distant problem with weak signal

- move one of the computer downstairs and close to the router, if any different

security encryption conflict

- first turn OFF all security protocol, test if it connect well

rest the router

- make sure you have all the setting on paper

- restart the modem first, then press and hold the RESET button at the back, for 10 second

- all settings back to factory default

oh . . . what OS you are using ?

It sounds like the Linksys WiFi Router in your office is force 'routing' its WiFi connection to a, now non-existing, TOT Internet connection.

You need to DISABLE the dhcp service on the office router. The router needs to be configured so it acts as a Switch/WiFi Access Point. Simply turning off dhcp service may do this.