Hip Surgery recovery

northernjohn

I am pleased to hear your operation was a success.

With the new found freedom of a titanium hip I found walking a pleasure and just the right exercise to strengthen the muscles that had withered from lack of use. I walked miles each day.

I had a strong warning from my surgeon about never letting the thigh go through 90 degrees when sitting. I was asked why and he just said 'you don't want to know'.

I wonder how Thais with replacements manage with their squat toilets?

Edited by Saan
  • Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NorthernJohn,

Congratulations on your successful hip-replacement !

This human meat-package had its right-hip replaced about fifteen years ago (when it had 715 moon's orbits mileage on it), in the U.S.; and, within ten weeks, was able to do strenuous 50 km. bicycle rides with quite steep climbs. The hip had severe degeneration of the interior of the joint due, possibly, to over-use, and to a genetic factor ... father and paternal grandfather had their right-hips go out at about the same age, and, both, like this body, had no parallel damage to the left hip-joint, which is unusual.

At that time, state-of-the-art joint-replacement parts (socket, shaft with steel ball) used a ceramic micro-pore coating into which, over time, the bone actually grows and fuses, a great improvement over the old technology that cemented the socket in place (and those cemented sockets would wear out after ten years or more, requiring another surgery).

The down-side of the micro-pore ceramic coated socket, and stainless steel shaft holding the ball joint down the bone, was that it took some time for the bone to grow into the micro-pores, and fuse. So people were advised to go slowly in terms of putting full weight and strain on the joint; while with the cemented sockets you could use them at full weight-bearing load almost immediately after the surgery.

The recuperation period, and rehabilitation period, post replacement, will vary from individual to individual. Naturally, that's dependent on age, health, life-long patterns of diet, exercise, immune-function, etc. And, also, of course, dependent on the motivation of the person with the replacement to really engage in rehabilitation, and, on having the information about what a sensible rehabilitation program is, tailored to their unique physical condition.

So, I hope you do have excellent technical information at hand to guide you in your rehabilitation program, and I would encourage you to take it slowly.

to your health, ~o:37;

• Like 1

I also had a total hip replacement about 10 weeks ago a much needed improvement as i could hardly walk . I am not doing as much walking as i would like to but have been doing hydrotherapy at the local hospital swimming pool - great stuff . So if you have access to a pool it is well worthwhile. I am back at work and sometimes i tend to do too much and I feel it the next day in the hip but still it improves everyday .

I also had a total hip replacement about 10 weeks ago a much needed improvement as i could hardly walk . I am not doing as much walking as i would like to but have been doing hydrotherapy at the local hospital swimming pool - great stuff . So if you have access to a pool it is well worthwhile. I am back at work and sometimes i tend to do too much and I feel it the next day in the hip but still it improves everyday .

Can you please tell me which hospital has a pool for hydrotherapy?

Can you please tell me which hospital has a pool for hydrotherapy?

I am in Sydney at the moment using the pool at Hornsby Hospital , but when i am in BKK i use our apartment's pool for doing exercises - mainly walking up and down the pool and then walking backwards , squats, lunges etc. Any pool is good, you don't need a hospital pool.. Sorry i should have made that clearer in my previous post.

Did you have the inter-grow or cement? Also did you elect metal to metal or plastic or what? I have 2 replaced hips and do not even think about it anymore. I am very grateful for these spare parts.

Speedy, full recovery to you.

• Like 1

Did you have the inter-grow or cement? Also did you elect metal to metal or plastic or what? I have 2 replaced hips and do not even think about it anymore. I am very grateful for these spare parts.

To be honest i am not sure but i assume it is inter-grow as they told me the bone and muscle takes about 12 months to grow around it and it is titanium i think. Sorry these were questions i did not ask - i was more concerned with the ability to walk again properly with minimum of pain which i must admit i have now.

Very interesting report.... thanks.

Any info or reports on knee replacement in CM ? I won't bother everyone by going into my specifics but I would be very interested in knee replacement stories.

Thanks in advance.

Mal.

One thing to remember is that it isn't a good idea to ride motorcycles if you've had a hip replacement, at least that's what I heard one orthopedic doctor tell someone who was wondering why his artificial hip was dislocated after a spill.

The first time they were able to ease it back into place, under anesthesia, without doing surgery. The guy kept riding a motorcycle! The next spill, the socket was dislocated so badly that it had to be replaced surgically. Still continued to ride a motocycle! After the third spill, the entire hip had to be replaced again. I think he's still riding a motorbike.

Also, on a different, but related topic -- any hints on how to use a pool for post-surgical recovery if the only access is down a ladder, i.e. there are no nice steps into the pool on the shallow end? I don't imagine it's a good idea to climb out of a pool using a pool ladder during recovery period. Many people don't have sufficient upper body strength to pull themselves out of a pool, even from the shallow end. (I know I never have been able to do it, not the way many guys can.)

Any info or reports on knee replacement in CM ? I won't bother everyone by going into my specifics but I would be very interested in knee replacement stories.

Thanks in advance.

Mal.

Have not had a replacement how ever had arthroscopic surgery 12 years ago and it worked good for 10 years even now it is still far better than it was. The Doctor who replaced my hip was originally recommended to me as the best in Thailand for that kind of surgery.

He does knee replacements also. Might be worth seeing him about it.

One thing to remember is that it isn't a good idea to ride motorcycles if you've had a hip replacement, at least that's what I heard one orthopedic doctor tell someone who was wondering why his artificial hip was dislocated after a spill.

The first time they were able to ease it back into place, under anesthesia, without doing surgery. The guy kept riding a motorcycle! The next spill, the socket was dislocated so badly that it had to be replaced surgically. Still continued to ride a motocycle! After the third spill, the entire hip had to be replaced again. I think he's still riding a motorbike.

Also, on a different, but related topic -- any hints on how to use a pool for post-surgical recovery if the only access is down a ladder, i.e. there are no nice steps into the pool on the shallow end? I don't imagine it's a good idea to climb out of a pool using a pool ladder during recovery period. Many people don't have sufficient upper body strength to pull themselves out of a pool, even from the shallow end. (I know I never have been able to do it, not the way many guys can.)

I was using a pool in BKK with a ladder before the op and i was in much more pain then and i just used it to get out of the pool ok- only problem was how hot the metal was in the sun. The ladder was good to hold on to doing squats and leg kicks, steps etc. Just using the ladder to build the thigh muscles up again is good. The pool i am using at the moment is purpose built and has a long ramp but i could imagine a ladder could be difficult for some depending on how recent the surgery was. As the hip gets stronger then the climbing the ladder will become easier.

I was using a pool in BKK with a ladder before the op and i was in much more pain then and i just used it to get out of the pool ok- only problem was how hot the metal was in the sun. The ladder was good to hold on to doing squats and leg kicks, steps etc. Just using the ladder to build the thigh muscles up again is good. The pool i am using at the moment is purpose built and has a long ramp but i could imagine a ladder could be difficult for some depending on how recent the surgery was. As the hip gets stronger then the climbing the ladder will become easier.

Most of my experience in pools is that the first step is very high to get to. Just got done talking to friend who can not use the pool as his knee will not allow him to climb a ladder. I think hospitals with special pools built for the handicapped are the only answer. I know where I live the pool is adequate size. But would not accommodate special ramps they could how ever use a ladder with the rungs a little lower.

Don't really know if there are any public pools that allow for the handicapped here in Chiang Mai.sad.png

Most of my experience in pools is that the first step is very high to get to. Just got done talking to friend who can not use the pool as his knee will not allow him to climb a ladder. I think hospitals with special pools built for the handicapped are the only answer. I know where I live the pool is adequate size. But would not accommodate special ramps they could how ever use a ladder with the rungs a little lower.

Don't really know if there are any public pools that allow for the handicapped here in Chiang Mai.sad.png

Just an idea, why not put a long Aluminium ladder into the pool at 45 degrees and perhaps even attach it to the pool ladder, improvisation is needed sometimes !

Just an idea, why not put a long Aluminium ladder into the pool at 45 degrees and perhaps even attach it to the pool ladder, improvisation is needed sometimes !

I have no problem but two of my friends do. they live at different units condos. I will suggest it to them. If nothing else purchase their own ladders and get some one to help them with it. Amazing how easy it is to miss such a simple thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by hellodolly

I had inter-grow with metal to metal I had the staples removed Thursday and he told me for all practical purposes it would take three to four weeks to not worry about abusing it. He says just because it dosen't hurt dosen't mean it is OK. He told me to be as good as it was going to get it would take three months but not to worry after a month.

He also told me it was the best I could get for long term but not for short term. I am retired and happy to give it the time it needs I keep my walks with a cane short. Gradually build them up. Around the house no cane. The only problem I have is when going up steps the front of the joint still has a twinge.

Thanks in advance.

Mal.

I asked about the knee replacement and he said the cost would be in the same range as the hip but it would be a three month recovery period.

Seems to me it might require crutch's for a while.