"Grand Theft Auto V" rakes in record $800 million on first day

News_Editor

NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) -- "Grand Theft Auto V," the first new full game in the popular video game series in five years, reaped an eye-popping $800 million in worldwide retail sales on its first day of release, breaking the industry record previously set by "Call of Duty," its distributor announced Wednesday.

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. said the latest installment of the Rockstar Games' hit video game series achieved a first day sell-through of more than $800 million worldwide, breaking all previous records. The numbers exclude Japan and Brazil where the game has not yet been released.

"All of us at Take-Two are thrilled with the initial response to Grand Theft Auto V," said Take-Two Chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick. "Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence."

Fans of the game, which is rated for mature audiences only, lined up outside stores across the world to be among the first to get their hands on the highly-anticipated game. In North America alone, more than 8,300 stores opened their doors at a minute past midnight on Tuesday to sell the game, which has been released for PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.

"Consumers around the world gathered in anticipation to be among the first to experience the evolution of this remarkable series," Zelnick said after releasing the initial sales numbers. "We are incredibly proud of Rockstar Games' creative achievement and could not be more pleased with the success of this launch."

The figures for the latest installment break the industry record previously set by "Call Of Duty: Black Ops II," which achieved sales of approximately $500 million during the first 24 hours. By comparison, "Grand Theft Auto IV" sold 3.6 million copies, totaling $310 million, during its launch day in April 2008.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

Concurrently, less youngsters are going to parks, camping out, playing sports, enjoying the outdoors.

Instead, they're glued to electronic monitors, stuck in one sitting position, indoors, solo - focusing on violence.

The demise of present and future generations is accellerating.

And getting fat and being out of shape, while focusing on violence.

Concurrently, less youngsters are going to parks, camping out, playing sports, enjoying the outdoors.

Instead, they're glued to electronic monitors, stuck in one sitting position, indoors, solo - focusing on violence.

Hmmm, I cannot wait to get my mitts on it. At the same time, I am not violent, probably fitter than most (I run Marathons for fun), an avid bird watcher that spends lots of times in the great outdoors, and have a great social life.

So please spare me the comments of how computer games turn everybody into fat, antisocial, overweight psychopaths. Beats sitting in a bar at 9 am, nursing a beer....

Agree....thats why I limit my kids times on any of this stuff big time....hense they do play outside and do other things a lot.

However, the shootem up games are really not that much different from when I was a youngster and playing cowboys and indians or war games etc. Except for the visuals these days, but you can limit these games to relative violence and gore.....but its in all the movies these days.

Hmmm, I cannot wait to get my mitts on it. At the same time, I am not violent, probably fitter than most (I run Marathons for fun), an avid bird watcher that spends lots of times in the great outdoors, and have a great social life.

So please spare me the comments of how computer games turn everybody into fat, antisocial, overweight psychopaths. Beats sitting in a bar at 9 am, nursing a beer....

How old are you ?

How old are you ?

48 and been playing computer games since "Pong".

• Like 2

Hmmm, I cannot wait to get my mitts on it. At the same time, I am not violent, probably fitter than most (I run Marathons for fun), an avid bird watcher that spends lots of times in the great outdoors, and have a great social life. So please spare me the comments of how computer games turn everybody into fat, antisocial, overweight psychopaths. Beats sitting in a bar at 9 am, nursing a beer....

It's good you jog. You are the exception. The majority of gamers are computer addicted, and the repercussions from that are dire. I saw one computer gaming room, with about 11 boys, aged about 9 to 16. Each one, when they spoke or moved, showed himself to be katoy (very effeminate). Now, before you go and accuse me of saying "everyone is....." please note that neither in my prior post, no in this commentary, did I implicate 'everyone.'

Edited by boomerangutang

How a fatty can be violent ? By falling on someone ?biggrin.png