Watching Thai Tv with Google Chromecast

farang000999

I have a Google Chromecast USB which is totally awesome and I was wondering if anyone here has found the best way to watch Thai channels (for the wife obviously) with it? Do any Thai channels have a Youtube stream (probably not). Any websites that stream the channels in especially good quality (HD perhaps?). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Can anyone provide a brief review of your Chromecast? Specifically, what are you using it for? Streaming internet content to your TV? Streaming other content from an Android device to your TV? It seems like NetFlix and YouTube are the only direct-content providers right now.

I considered the Chromecast but opted for a Android miniPC as a better alternative. Looks and acts somewhat like Chromecast but is actually a full Android 4.2 stick, somewhat like a smartphone without the screen and no phone function. Best description is on this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUP2lEynKBE . Can get it in mane places eg. Amazon: http://is.gd/N1t7ry . I bought mine on Aliexpress, shipped from Shenzen, total cost US$72, no hassle arrival here in 3 weeks (I should have used the EMS) and no hassle from Thai customs. No hassle setup (plug into HDMI on TV), stream internet very fine, also access all the media shared on my home network, use as any computer with keyboard+mouse with wireless connection to the device.

I have a Roku and an account with some company, they have all the Thai channels and it's very good quality. When my wife and I are in the states.. she's on it all day watching her drama and other shows.

Chrome cast seems like a good free option, but probably not near as easy as the Roku setup is... I think mine is like $50 a year or something.

I have a Roku and an account with some company, they have all the Thai channels and it's very good quality. When my wife and I are in the states.. she's on it all day watching her drama and other shows.

Chrome cast seems like a good free option, but probably not near as easy as the Roku setup is... I think mine is like $50 a year or something.

Thanks for all the detail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just want ask if anyone has found this Google Chrome computer in Thailand? I don't mean the androids and downloads, but the actual computer.

I have read that it is <12" wide and only $200.00 - 300.00. But at every computer store in Chiang Mai that I went to they said they never heard of it,

Everett, you got yours from the States, right?

And Chicog, you had Amazon ship yours from the U.S.?

I just want ask if anyone has found this Google Chrome computer in Thailand? I don't mean the androids and downloads, but the actual computer.

I have read that it is <12" wide and only $200.00 - 300.00. But at every computer store in Chiang Mai that I went to they said they never heard of it,

No Kondiao, I live in the Middle East and they won't ship electronics. But I have an Aramex forwarding mailbox in NY, London, Mumbai and China, get it posted there and they ship it on for a reasonable cost.

I'm fairly certain there are such shippers in Thailand, if you want I can find out for you. A friend who used to live in Bangkok had one.

Kondiao,

Good luck! I have a Chromebook I brought from the states with me that I love, it is the easiest and fastest computer to use for 90% of what you need on a daily basis. I went searching for a new one a few months ago but no one in Bangkok has even heard of it as Google has been slow to introduce them in Asia. Your best bet is to try ordering one on Amazon.

Note that you can "Cast" a tab from within Chrome on a PC. That said, it is not of similar quality as casting YouTube, and the other services (NetFlix, HBOGo, Hulu et al).

So if you can find it, Thai TV, on a browser, you can cast it - I've tested it out, it's OK - you need an extension for Chrome: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3212008?hl=en

Still waiting to be able to cast off of Google Drive.

Google VP of Project Management Details Chromecast Plans for 2014

In a recent interview with GigaOm, Google VP of project management Mario Queiroz, who oversees Chromecast, laid out a few plans that consumers can expect to see from the HDMI dongle device in 2014. Google has seen quite a bit of popularity from the little device priced at $35, which connects Internet content from services such as Netflix and YouTube to your living room’s big screen. Since its release, the service has been extremely limited by what apps it has been compatible with, as Google continues to finalize Chromecast’s SDK for developers. Only recently has Google allowed a large list of ten approved applications to work with Chromecast, but consumers want more.
Google’s vision is to have any app be compatible, and Queiroz states that, “there will be an expectation from consumers that any and every app will be ‘castable.’”
With an International launch and an open SDK coming next year, Google is still looking at the bigger picture, hard at work with consumer electronic manufacturers to bring the “Google Cast” standard to as many devices as possible.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/16/google-vp-of-project-management-details-chromecast-plans-for-2014-international-expansion-and-open-sdk/

Off-topic: Acer, HP, Samsung and Google all offer Chromebooks. Not sure which, if any, are offered here in Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

this I can connect with my S4

Not sure if you understand what a Chromecast is exactly, or what your S4 will enable with it.

Your S4 will allow you to control "casting" from the internet to your TV via the supported services: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

Note that other than YouTube, a lot of these services are fee-based, originate in the U.S. and may require a VPN.

You will not be able to cast your S4 onto your Chromecast; in essence you use the S4 - or any Android device - to send commands to the internet to cast video back down to your TV.

I fear there are a lot mis-perceptions about what Chromecast can actually do?

Right now, it is pretty cool, and it will get better - but not sure how cool it is if you live here? I mainly use mine to cast YouTube, and the quality is impressive.

I can stream online upstairs

Yes, but you'll only be able to "cast" - not "stream" - the currently supported services.

Netflix
HBO GO
Hulu Plus
Pandora
YouTube
Google Play TV & Movies
Google Play Music
VEVO
Red Bull.TV
Songza
Plex
PostTV
Viki
RealPlayer Cloud

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/314373/google-chromecast-what-it-does-and-will-do

Yes, I mentioned in post #23 that one can "cast" a tab from a PC, but not an Android device, using Chrome + extension. It does work, I've tried it, but it is very kludgy, and the quality blows, but it is possible to cast any tab, including one playing a video from any source, including your network. Just don't expect too much.

Edited by lomatopo

• 5 years later...

For an update. AIS Play and Trueid both work on Chromecast which means you can watch Thai tv and most Western programs legally and on great quality streams very cheaply. 

True id is 499 baht a month and has everything the Gold package has apart from the Fox channels. This includes all Bein Sports channels It has many movies on demand as well. 

AIS play has various packages but the one I have is 99 baht a month, I get all Thai channels and also FOX Sports 1, 2 and 3. Also all the HBO channels on demand.

Netflix is on Chromecast so is Bein Sports Connect if you just want Premier League. Price is 555 baht till the end of the season and this includes many other leagues. 

Facebook takes over the Premier league next season and it supports Chromecast, however the choose to monetize the deal.

Edited by larry70dj