What are you diabetics eating for breakfast?

george

Oh, I have to dig into my files for that as my post was based on what the doctor told me. For me, he does a battery of tests and one of them is called the Hemoglobin A1c and that had been trending higher with the last one at 5.6, just on the edge of turning to pre-diabetic.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All manner are getting diabetes (baa-waan) these days. Old friend from Cambodia, she's 33, just got it, blood sugar over 800. "It make me go dark!", i.e., she was passing out.

I'm actually concerned for my ex-wife now. Poor old cow. She blew up to 100kgs recently, down to 86kgs now. She always was a big girl mind and I don't mean tall. I really need to talk to her about the baa-waan and make sure she's off the sticky rice and gets tested.

It's a shame really. We'd look good together now. A couple of fat b'stards.

Oh, I have to dig into my files for that as my post was based on what the doctor told me. For me, he does a battery of tests and one of them is called the Hemoglobin A1c and that had been trending higher with the last one at 5.6, just on the edge of turning to pre-diabetic.

The very best way is to test yourself with your own glucometer after a high carbohydrate meal.... or a lab test at 1 and 2 hours. OGTT tests are not common these days because they're labour intensive, but it's the best way to see how you respond to a sugar hit.

I'm really interested in seeing your FBS (fasting) level if you can track it down. It will be interesting to see what your doctor considers borderline.

I'm not totally unhappy that I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic when I was, it's given me an opportunity to clean up my diet and for perhaps the first time in my lfe, eat sensible and healthily. My numbers now are starting to look very very good and I intend for them to stay that way, when I think about some of the crap food I used to eat it sends a shiver through me!

On a practical diet, (sorry George but I'm out of breakfast recipies but this is useful to know anyway): alcohol can have a lowering effect on blood sugar but only if consumed in moderation, cross the consumption line and it seems to have the opposite effect. When the liver sences alcohol it stops processing sugar and focusses solely on what it sees as poison in the body, that delay in processing sugar can be misleading for anyone who tests their blood glucose levels after having had a drink since the reading will be abnormally low. But in that situation, sugar processing has only been delayed and arguably become more damaging because it will resume later, typically once the person is asleep with little chance to burn it off.

The other thing that's worth bearing in mind is that diabetics rarely have livers that are in tip top condition thus alcohol only puts further strain on it. It's worth playing around with your self test readings to see what they look like before and after alcohol consumption and after stopping drinking for say two weeks, you might be quite surprised.

Maybe I do andyou don't. A cure is when that illness is no longer found.... (putting it very simply for you as it is obvious to me you are no doctor sir)

Anything....can relapse.

I dtill practise and own over a dozen clinics in Australia sir. Please don't lecture me until you can validate your professional expertise in such matters. Of course relapsing to bad habits will facilitate the return of any illness

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We've heard it all before from all manner of quacks and it always ends the same way, where's your link showing independant medical proof that Diabetes Type II can be cured, by any means?

Moderators, please!

I given up dealing snd advising those who know it sll from google. Cure thyself. Heal thyself.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many of the expert diabetic patients out there got to where they are today with the help of google and despite people like you, think about that!

The very best way is to test yourself with your own glucometer after a high carbohydrate meal.... or a lab test at 1 and 2 hours. OGTT tests are not common these days

Don't know about the rest of the world but in the UK an OGTT is the definitive test of diabetes.

The very best way is to test yourself with your own glucometer after a high carbohydrate meal.... or a lab test at 1 and 2 hours. OGTT tests are not common these days

Don't know about the rest of the world but in the UK an OGTT is the definitive test of diabetes.

Yes, it is, that's why it should be used more often. Good luck getting one in Thailand.

Anyone know where I can buy cinammom in Bangkok?

If you want cinnamon for baking or to put in your coffee in small ammounts, you can find that anywhere. But if you want to buy cinnamon powder for medical reasons you need to be very careful. Cinnamon from Indonseia/ThailndChina/SE Asia is very harmful in larger doses, google "coumarin" and read all about liver toxicity. The only safe alternatibve is cinnamon from Ceylon which appears not to be available in Thailand and was the subject of a seperate thread (by me) about two months ago - is available by mail order.

Thanks for the info on cinnamon; I had no idea there were two types. Sounds like a business oppertunity for someone to start growing real cinnamon in Thailand.

Anyone know where I can buy cinammom in Bangkok?

If you want cinnamon for baking or to put in your coffee in small ammounts, you can find that anywhere. But if you want to buy cinnamon powder for medical reasons you need to be very careful. Cinnamon from Indonseia/ThailndChina/SE Asia is very harmful in larger doses, google "coumarin" and read all about liver toxicity. The only safe alternatibve is cinnamon from Ceylon which appears not to be available in Thailand and was the subject of a seperate thread (by me) about two months ago - is available by mail order.

Thanks for the info on cinnamon; I had no idea there were two types. Sounds like a business oppertunity for someone to start growing real cinnamon in Thailand.

You're most welcome, the following from the Mayo Clinic on the subject of cinnamon and diabetes:

"Whether cinnamon can lower blood sugar is a topic of debate — but recent research suggests that cinnamon may be helpful as a supplement to regular diabetes treatment in people with type 2 diabetes. A 2012 review of several recent studies concluded that the use of cinnamon had a potentially beneficial effect on glycemic control. One study published in 2009 found that a 500 mg capsule of cinnamon taken twice a day for 90 days improved hemoglobin A1C levels — a reflection of average blood sugar level for the past two to three months — in people with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes (hemoglobin A1C levels greater than 7 percent). More research is needed to confirm these findings and determine how cinnamon supplementation leads to these benefits. One theory is that cinnamon increases insulin action."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00939

The above seems to support the idea of getting a C-peptide test to understand what your levels of insulin production are.

• 2 months later...

Eggs are definitely off the breakfast menu to stay healthy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96iiU31ySs

A side of beans to replace eggs would work for me but I end up now days with a variety of fruit with some Amla/Indian Gooseberry and ground flax seed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11zDNtpJwo and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0QbVYoKe5g

Edited by ronz28

Regarding artificial sweetener? You have to very careful with your choice, most of them contain 'aspartame' a well know neuro toxin, banned in many countries you could be poisoning yourself.

Just look it up, there hasn't been 1 independent study that declares it safe.

There are a lot of very questionable assertions on this thread.

The European Food Safety Authority has found that the artificial sweetener aspartame is safe for people to consume at the levels currently used in diet soft drinks.

After conducting a major review of evidence, the agency said Tuesday it has ruled out any "potential risk of aspartame causing damage to genes and inducing cancer."

http://www.cortezjournal.com/article/20131210/API/1312100663/Europe:-Diet-sweetener-aspartame-is-safe-in-cola

http://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2013/04/12/artificial_sweetener_aspartame_isnt_bad_for_you_106508.html

Looks like I'm on the right track. A bowl of Aussie grown Quick Oats, Lowan Muesli as an alternative, full cream pasteurised milk from the Thai-Danish dairy, a scoops of Greek yoghurt when I have the muesli, and the dreaded sweetner or honey.

Blood tests this week show sugar and cholesterol at normal levels.

Been Type two diabetic for over 30 years and inject insulin 4 times a day.

My usual breakfast is a small bowl of fruit muesli (non-nut) mixed with some shredded wheat and a bit of all bran, topped off with half an apple (freshly sliced). Mix with zero fat milk.

I emphasise that all quantities must be small, but it is very filling and of course great for the digestive system and provides the 'roughage' that us diabetics need.

An occasional alternative can be two pieces of wholemeal toast, maybe topped with a lightly poached egg, plus the half apple.

A small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice is also good for you.

Don't be too paranoid about keeping away from all sugar - small amounts in moderation are fine, although if you are not taking insulin you need to be a bit more careful.

Best idea is to try out some new ideas, then check you blood sugar level after a couple of hours and make sure it is still within acceptable bounds.

Good luck

You are type 2 diabetic and you inject insulin????

It is relatively easy to reverse diabetes type 2 without medicines (especially insulin).

I suppose, bearing in mind that you were diagnosed 30 years ago, that you haven't discovered the truth about diabetes (type 2).

My mate was diagnosed about 2 years ago - I think his blood sugar levels were in the mid 80's. I told him what to do ie: eat, not eat, take, don't take and he reversed it in 1 month with his blood sugar level down at 50.

It is relatively easy to do as all it takes is a little discipline, lifestyle changes and a certain form of exercise. One of the simplest ways is with chromium supplements and herbs and spices like fenugreek, turmeric, cinnamon and in particular milk thistle.

On the food front, avoid cereals (even wholemeal) and simple carbohydrates and eat plenty of vegetables and smaller amounts of fruits. Most importantly, avoid processed foods, anything with diet, low fat, low sugar, healthy and calory free on the label in particular.

It is important to eat plenty of saturated fats and avoid ALL cooking oils apart from virgin olive oil and organic virgin coconut oil.

Oh!! cold steel pressed oats with cinnamon and FULL fat milk are an excellent choice for breakfast as it contains soluble fibre!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Eggs are definitely off the breakfast menu to stay healthy.

That video is nonsense.

"The amount that one egg a day raises cholesterol in the blood is extremely small, so small in fact that the increase in risk in heart disease related to this change in serum cholesterol could never be detected in any kind of study," said Walter Willett, professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard's School of Public Health."Elevations in LDL of this small magnitude could easily be countered by other healthy aspects of eggs."

http://www.livescience.com/39353-eggs-dont-deserve-bad-reputation.html

On a totally separate point:

I self test on a daily basis and I record my numbers, I notice since I started taking B complex and methycobal that my fasting and postprandial numbers are down by at least 10%, When I tried to discuss this phenomena with my Endocrinologist I got a blank stare, I also don't see much on this on the web. The only thing I can deduce is that B12, B2 and/or B5 have improved the digestion and absorption process to a point where food spends less time in the small bowel, dunno, but it does work super well.

Anyone can the read the numerous peer-reviewed scientific studies given by Dr. Greger in his video, its not nonsense. For me, I read the Talmadge article and find it unsupported with valid scientific evidence. Believe an egg industry spokesperson if you choose, up to you. I'm not eating anything that pops out of a chicken's rear end.

Edited by ronz28

Eggs are definitely off the breakfast menu to stay healthy.

That video is nonsense.

"The amount that one egg a day raises cholesterol in the blood is extremely small, so small in fact that the increase in risk in heart disease related to this change in serum cholesterol could never be detected in any kind of study," said Walter Willett, professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard's School of Public Health."Elevations in LDL of this small magnitude could easily be countered by other healthy aspects of eggs."

http://www.livescience.com/39353-eggs-dont-deserve-bad-reputation.html

+1

As I recall, cholesterol from food sources accounts for only something like 10% of total cholesterol, an egg or two accounts for next to nothing in that picture

• Like 1

I self test on a daily basis and I record my numbers, I notice since I started taking B complex and methycobal that my fasting and postprandial numbers are down by at least 10%, When I tried to discuss this phenomena with my Endocrinologist I got a blank stare, I also don't see much on this on the web. The only thing I can deduce is that B12, B2 and/or B5 have improved the digestion and absorption process to a point where food spends less time in the small bowel, dunno, but it does work super well.

The B vitamins play a crucial role in carbohydrate metabolism. They are co-enzymes for several key stages of carb metabolism.

Food spending less time in the bowel has nothing to do with it (and would nto help -- in fact more time and slower digestion is better, blood sugar wise).

You are type 2 diabetic and you inject insulin????

It is relatively easy to reverse diabetes type 2 without medicines (especially insulin).

I suppose, bearing in mind that you were diagnosed 30 years ago, that you haven't discovered the truth about diabetes (type 2).

My mate was diagnosed about 2 years ago - I think his blood sugar levels were in the mid 80's. I told him what to do ie: eat, not eat, take, don't take and he reversed it in 1 month with his blood sugar level down at 50.

It is relatively easy to do as all it takes is a little discipline, lifestyle changes and a certain form of exercise. One of the simplest ways is with chromium supplements and herbs and spices like fenugreek, turmeric, cinnamon and in particular milk thistle.

On the food front, avoid cereals (even wholemeal) and simple carbohydrates and eat plenty of vegetables and smaller amounts of fruits. Most importantly, avoid processed foods, anything with diet, low fat, low sugar, healthy and calory free on the label in particular.

It is important to eat plenty of saturated fats and avoid ALL cooking oils apart from virgin olive oil and organic virgin coconut oil.

Oh!! cold steel pressed oats with cinnamon and FULL fat milk are an excellent choice for breakfast as it contains soluble fibre!!!

Type II diabetes cannot be "reversed". It can often be controlled completely through diet and exercise but this is not at all the same thing.

Like most diseases, type II diabetes occurs along a wide gamut of severity. Some people with severe forms do indeed need to take insulin. Most people with mild forms can get by solely on improved diet and exercise. In between, many people need both diet and an oral medication.

BTW if your friend's fasting blood sugars were in the 80's he did not have type II diabetes.

• Like 2

'Maybe to some degree':

imo there is no maybe, it's certainly been proven to my satisfaction, I wouldn't touch them.

'Why cooking with a microwave destroys cancer-fighting nutrients in food and promotes nutritional deficiencies

Learn more:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html#ixzz2fPylv8Cn

from the same study:

'Microwaves absolutely decimate the nutritional value of your food, destroying the very vitamins and phytonutrients that prevent disease and support good health. Previous studies have shown that as much as 98% of the cancer-fighting nutrients in broccoli, for example, are destroyed by microwaving.

Question: Are microwaves “bad” for food?

Answer: It’s not worse than some other common cooking methods. While the Internet is teeming with articles that talk about how microwaves deactivate enzymes or destroy antioxidants, the truth is that many cooking methods do that, particularly boiling or pressure-cooking foods for long periods of time. Take broccoli, one of Dr. Oz’s favorite superfoods. A 2003 study examined this cruciferous cancer fighter and found that microwaving, boiling, and high pressure-cooking for long periods of time all slashed the flavonoid content, while steaming was best at keeping the nutrients intact.1 A 2009 study2 considered a wider group of veggies, subjecting 20 vegetables to a variety of cooking methods and then measuring antioxidant activity. Their conclusion? The vegetables actually varied widely in how much antioxidant activity they preserved – but a key finding was that shorter cooking time, using minimal water, is one of the best ways to retain nutrients. That study concluded that microwaving – because it shortens cooking time – actually preserved antioxidant capacity better than boiling and pressure-cooking in many cases. The authors quipped: “In short, water is not the cook’s best friend when it comes to preparing vegetables”.

http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/to-nuke-or-not-to-nuke-should-you-microwave-your-food

• Like 1

The B vitamins play a crucial role in carbohydrate metabolism. They are co-enzymes for several key stages of carb metabolism.

Food spending less time in the bowel has nothing to do with it (and would nto help -- in fact more time and slower digestion is better, blood sugar wise).

I'm happy to believe that's the case Sheryl, the questions now however are, how to test for vitamin B deficiency in diabetics and which vitamin B to test for?

It's clear that either B complex or methycobal has made a substantial improvement in my life but I'm not sure which one gets deserves the award and why. I tested for B12 ten months ago and was found deficient, 336 where the desired level is greater than 500. Initially my endo. declared that methycobal was not true B12 and was instead a nerve growth hormone hence there was no need to stop taking methycobal before the blood test. A week later the test came back at 980 and the instructions were to stop methycobal for two weeks and to take the test again! (shakes head in slight disbelief)

What I gather from the above is that I'm probably not B12 deficient and/or that the B12 component in the B complex vitamin, plus the daily multi-vitamin supplement, manages my B12 levels well. But there is no doubt whatsoever that something, presumably now the B complex, has had a seriously positive effect on my blood glucose levels and on my motility et al - how to check for what and how, any thoughts on this please, it seems silly to try and improve diets if the cause is actually vitamin or absorption based?

EDIT: Afterthought: the combination of poor or slowed motility and a low glycemic diet in diabetics means that food spends longer in the small bowel, vitamin B of some sort seems to counteract this. In healthy people absorption rates decrease with age, my "guess" is that there is a link to vitamin B here that improves matters.

Edited by chiang mai

I had type 2 diabetes about 2.5 years ago, and the only thing that I did was got out any refined sugars, rice, pasta, white bread, cereals and started more excercising. for breakfast I would have my normal breakfast of eggs and a piece of whole wheat bread. My diabetic clinic told me not to drink any type of juices or banana's. Now 2.5 years later I have lost 55kgs and no longer have high blood sugar. Hope this helps

Bloody hell, 55kg is a whole Thai person. You managed to get rid of a whole Thai!

Hmmmmmmm, one way to get rid of wifey.

I found a very interesting lecture in 6 parts which deals with food, health, over weight and Diabetes.

Everything is caused by high Insulin levels.

He claims that Diabetes can be reversed. Very interesting!

Well worth the time to watch.

Been Type two diabetic for over 30 years and inject insulin 4 times a day.

My usual breakfast is a small bowl of fruit muesli (non-nut) mixed with some shredded wheat and a bit of all bran, topped off with half an apple (freshly sliced). Mix with zero fat milk.

I emphasise that all quantities must be small, but it is very filling and of course great for the digestive system and provides the 'roughage' that us diabetics need.

An occasional alternative can be two pieces of wholemeal toast, maybe topped with a lightly poached egg, plus the half apple.

A small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice is also good for you.

Don't be too paranoid about keeping away from all sugar - small amounts in moderation are fine, although if you are not taking insulin you need to be a bit more careful.

Best idea is to try out some new ideas, then check you blood sugar level after a couple of hours and make sure it is still within acceptable bounds.

Good luck

Orange juice is loaded with sugar. Not recommended for diabetics. Unless your talking about a spoonful a day.

I am type 2. I discovered something called Control . comes in a bottle at Tesco. Way back by the coffee and teas. isle. Non sugar - called Stevia. It has NO aftertaste and is sweeter than real sugar. It sweetens right up the cereals and fruits that need it. Only about 60 baht for a few weeks worth.

Omlettes of almost any type, veggie filled and or sliced sausage etc, even better if you can make an omlette out of egg whites only.

Toast as previously discussed, Butter is Better in CM sells all grain bread that is highly rated, haven't tried it myself yet but others say it's very good.

Continental breakfasts work, meat, cheese, yogurt, salmon if you can get it and small amounts of blueberries/raspberries - Makro (the cash and carry)

supermarkets sell chinese blueberries and raspberries by the 500 gram and 1 kg bags, the latter is sensibly priced at 240 ish., not too sweet but OK if cut with yogurt!

Anything you can eat that will accept ground flaxseed, two tablespoons a day on something like porridge works wonders for the digstive system, 4 grams of fibre right there, add it to oats and fruit and you're nearly at your minimum fibre requirement for the day.

Whole grain toast (bread) is no better for diabetics than plain bread. Its better for your body than plain bread but in the diabetics case,any bread is off the menu.