Backwash

rayongchelsea

Lots of variables to consider. How many people use the pool and how often? The time of the year (rainy season/dry season) will have some effect. Type of filtration unit. Salt water/fresh water pool. BTW: I'm not an expert but a pool owner myself. I only backwash my DE filters once or twice a year and I have a large pool. I have 2 seperate filtration systems with seperate pumps, and chlorinators (salt water pool) along with a Hayward DE filter on each. I did this in the event that if something went wrong with one I could still keep the pool functioning at minimum levels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo High Rate Sand Filter. My pool is a salt water chlorinator pool of about 100 cu. m. I have two Sta-Rite pumps each fitted with filter basket.

The sand filter is fitted with a water pressure gauge and according to the owners manual that came with the filter "when the pressure is 5 to 7 PSI (34.5 to 48 kPa) higher than initial operating pressure, backwash filter". Following these instructions I find that the time between backwashes varies depending on rain, weather etc.

• Like 1

On your pool filter is a pressure meter, you should back wash when the pressure meter indicates it, which is in my case with a Zeolite medium in the filter about twice a year.

Backwashing to frequently may result in inadequate filtering since the filter media needs time to settle to function properly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On your pool filter is a pressure meter, you should back wash when the pressure meter indicates it, which is in my case with a Zeolite medium in the filter about twice a year.

Backwashing to frequently may result in inadequate filtering since the filter media needs time to settle to function properly.

Agreed - my medium large pool only needs a backwash about once every two to three months. If I overstretched that (only done twice) I get a tell tale trail of grit-like particles around the return inlets at the pool bottom. Even by then my sand filter pressure meter has not gone into the yellow zone.