Oishi group says sorry for maggots

webfact

Oishi group says sorry for maggots
By Coconuts Bangkok

1379527096-o_1_0.jpg?itok=8iX6syUI

BANGKOK: -- The Oishi group, which runs the Shabushi chain of restaurants, apologized to a customer who claimed to have found maggots crawling over a table at one of its branches.

A video clip and photos of maggots wriggling on noodles at a Bangkok outlet of a popular buffet restaurant chain went viral on Thursday.

The video clip was first uploaded to YouTube on Wednesday by user Mademoisellesmull, and was later shared on the popular Pantip.com web board by a person using the pseudonym purrpaww.

According to purrpaww, a friend went to Central Ladprao and decided to eat at Shabushi. While she was eating, some of the soba noodles fell on the table and she saw a cluster of writhing maggots feasting on the food.

Purrpaww wrote that the diner took several photos and recorded a short video of the maggots in front of her, paid her restaurant bill and left immediately.

The customer, who claimed to have borrowed a friend's login, posted on the Pantip website on Wednesday night that a friend of his went to have a meal at a Shabushi restaurant in Central Ladprao. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/20/oishi-group-says-sorry-maggots

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-20

I prefer large juicy maggots,those little buggers can get stuck,

in your teeth !

I wonder if Oishi will now sue her for bringing the restaurant bad

publicity ,as it seems to best not to name and shame,even

though its true!

regards Worgeordie

I found maggots in my noodles at a restaurant a few years ago and when I called someone over to complain, he looked at me as if to say "and the problem is...?". Figuring I wasn't getting anywhere, I picked the maggots off and carried on eating. Probably not the best choice but the noodles were damn good!

• Like 2

Actually, would you eat in this 'restaurant'. We went to the Chiang Mai Branch a few weeks ago. Before we started to eat we were asked to pay the bill up front.

No way! We packed up and walked out. What are these people thinking!

Which Chiang Mai branch was that (there are more than one)?

Sophon

This is going back a good 10 years. After a few drinks and some recreational pharmaceuticals I went back to my friends place for a bite to eat. His house was one of those on stilts, sitting in the middle of the jungle. He passed me a bowl of rice which was ate with a few dishes of food left over from the days cooking. I was really enjoying it and was just scooping up the last few grains of rice when I noticed a couple of the grains of rice moving. I thought it was me, so I started to move the bowl away and towards my face trying to focus on what I was seeing. It took me a while until I realised what I was eating were maggots. My friend noticed something was wrong and asked me "what's up"? There and then I puked all over the balcony.

He checked his bowl and found some more and once I got over the initial shock we had a good laugh about it, although it did put me off rice for a couple of days.

Where did the maggots come from? Spontaneous generation? I smell a rat...carcass being devoured by maggots.

(Let me remind everyone that Oishi is a Thai owned restaurant chain that specializes in Japanese food. It is NOT a "Japanese". thumbsup.gif )

And we have our first, wait, second Sherlock on here. You missed the 'could happen anywhere part' lol!!

Faggots, darn keyboard, Maggots coffee1.gif

Purrpaww wrote that the diner took several photos and recorded a short video of the maggots in front of her, paid her restaurant bill and left immediately.

Just another example of Thais never complaining, and for that reason being scammed by their government.

Would any of the readers on this forum have paid for that food ?

No way would I pay.

Sorry, but "Sorry just is NOT Enough." I would take whatever legal action is available (probably none, as you say, Thais don't like to comp[lain) but top marks to both Thaivisa.com and Coconuts for running this story.

In my TV days in Australia, I would have had a camera crew on the scene within minutes and I'd have had the camera-op stick the lens up the nostrils of the owner/manager or whoever, then done voxpops with other customers, got plenty of footage to identify the joint and given it National Exposure in the hope that it would put the guy out of business.The Health Department would see to that!

Ah, but of course in Thailand, we should just eat the maggots, smile and pay the bill as we head to the gutter to puke....and smile again.

Just another example of Thais never complaining, and for that reason being scammed by their government.

Would any of the readers on this forum have paid for that food ?

Absolutely now way would I have paid. I generally respect the Thai culture, after all I am a foreigner but culture or not I will never accept that you shouldn't complain when you find writhing maggots in a restaurant. This restaurant should of course apologize and very quickly publish what they are doing to improve their hygiene conditions before people make a joke of it and stop going.