Hot Dogs (American style)

junglechef

Junglechef cooking in the jungle again. Looking for real US type of dogs, also called frankfurters but not bangers, Chiang Mai sausage or other variations of meat in a tube. Who has the best in IYHO (variation on the theme of IMHO)? Grilling then on a BBQ to be topped with chili (sans beans), onion and mustard and still debating cheese to make the best Chili Dogs 30 Hill Tribe kids have ever eaten! Also recommendations on hot dog rolls appreciate too.

Hot Dog Buns recommend Farmhouse

Hot Dog, Frankfurters, recommend Gunther, the German Butcher out in Doi Saket = G & M Meats

JC ... Gunther has quite an operation out there and has been for 20 some years. Sunday Buffet is quite the thing out there and may have several hundred people on a Sunday Afternoon.... Lots of folks come up from Bkk to go to his place... Something you should check out in your rounds. Also has a restaurant behind the Big C that used to be Carrefour on the Super. Not to far up the street from the old German Brewery

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

If you're really wanting brats or hot dogs from the USA, you could pay 50 baht each for Johnsonville brats (very good and very expensive) or pick up Oscar Mayer wieners for much less. Both are usually available at Rim Ping supermarkets.

post-55993-0-51418600-1379658710_thumb.j

post-55993-0-94159800-1379658737_thumb.j

• Like 1

My best overall choice is Belucky sausage (S&P also make good quality porducts) I think I have tried most on the shelf, Johnsonville brats, G&M, etc.. can remember. Don't even bother about Johnsonville they are too watery dute to long freeze and too much additives. As for typical hotdog buns I like S&P or Farmhouse.

Edited by ARISTIDE

At The Duke's we worked with Gunther from G and M a few years ago to do our Italian and Polish sausages. Later when it was coming up to the 4th of July party we worked with him on an all beef hot dog. One of the reasons we used G and M for the hot dogs was because he makes the best pork hot dog in Chiang Mai. The beef hot dog was not a regular menu for us but we served it on the Meals On Wheels menu, for specials and at parties. Our new menu that came out a few days ago has a Chicago Double Dog, Chili Dog and an Apple Maple Relish Dog with Cheddar and Bacon. We also added the Italian and Polish Sausages. A few months ago we had Gunther do an American style breakfast sausage that we use for The Expat Club's Buffet Breakfast every month.

All of the sausages are available at The Duke's for 300 Baht plus tax per kilo and come in 600-700 gram packs. You can order them delivered from Meals On Wheels. Meals On Wheels also has the regular menu items for delivery. I don't think they are available in the supermarkets as Gunther sticks with the sausages that he has always traditionally done there. He does sell the pork hot dog in the supermarket. I'm not sure if he sells the sausages at his shop in San Kampang as they are usually a special order. Butter is Better does order the beef hot dog from Gunther.

In Bangkok you can try one of the dogs at Sunrise Tacos. We supply about 55 kilos every month to them.

The Duke's also makes fresh poppy seed rolls for the sausages and dogs. If you want to order rolls you should call a day in advance. 10 Baht a roll.

Dave

Edited by theDukes
  • Like 1

No beans in that chili I hope - not in hotdog chili.After working in South Carolina for a few summers, I got to love coleslaw on hotdogs too (but never the sweet kind).

The OPer in his OP clearly states "sans beans" so UG please keep up! ?

Opps (that's not another ref. to original poster etc. but means my mistake) I forgot that only English is allowed so perhaps my use of a French word is what caused the miscommunication here.

But of course chili con carne Texas style (no beans).

Now I must go and look up Opps to be sure that's also not a word from another language!

Spankys was the best, i was going to say "come back Bob all is forgiven" but perhaps that is asking too much laugh.png

Even though the food aspect was only a "front", I too, thought that the food was better than average.

No, drugs were the "front" and the food was the criminal offense.

No beans in that chili I hope - not in hotdog chili.After working in South Carolina for a few summers, I got to love coleslaw on hotdogs too (but never the sweet kind).

The OPer in his OP clearly states "sans beans" so UG please keep up! ?

Opps (that's not another ref. to original poster etc. but means my mistake) I forgot that only English is allowed so perhaps my use of a French word is what caused the miscommunication here.

But of course chili con carne Texas style (no beans).

Now I must go and look up Opps to be sure that's also not a word from another language!

Not sure how it would work on hot dogs but a can of crushed pineapple or crush it your self taste great in Chili.

Whats wrong with CM sausage?.....nicely smoke grilled under seasoned tamarind beats the heck out of that culinary disaster called 'the hotdog'.....believe me, the hilltribe kids will find the combination of bun and wiener strange at best. Anyways, your heart is in the right place with the desire to treat the kids - Good Luck

• Like 2

So you use Sai Oua sausage with hotdog buns?

Whats wrong with CM sausage?.....nicely smoke grilled under seasoned tamarind beats the heck out of that culinary disaster called 'the hotdog'.....believe me, the hilltribe kids will find the combination of bun and wiener strange at best. Anyways, your heart is in the right place with the desire to treat the kids - Good Luck

Think the kids probably like CM sausage as much as I do as it's pretty stuff and can be excelent. But I like to make them something different for a change and let them explore the culinary world. On past occasions I've brought hamburgers and spaghetti bolognaise and they loved it, but to be honest I think that they appreciated just not being hungry too. I've made nachos for Thai kids and other dishes and it seems like children all over the world like the same stuff! Still waiting for thst first time a kid says no to pizza.

• Like 2