Does AIS sell your privacy details?

jbrain

Be aware of this. Today I received two call from a induction heating company, clearly asking for Miss Ratchana.

Mis Ratchana is the person on who my telephone number is registered, for approximate 11 years already, and has never ever used this number. Miss Ratchana is also not the kind of person that would inquire for induction heating, and is not directly related to me .

So definitely the only one who can have sold the ID details to the cold calling company can have been AIS.

YAY, for privacy protection in Thailand.

Mobile phone companies are very protective of their subscriber base, if only to protect it from being poached by competitors. And they would not risk thousands of baht in recurring revenue, to make a few baht selling their subscriber lists.

I honestly do not understand the OP's situation/relationship re: Ms. Ratchana, but you might ask yourself why this first cold call occurred after just 11 years with AIS? Honestly, we give out our names and phone numbers to many different people, companies, government offices, post office, utilities, ad infinitum. I'd submit that the mobile phone company would be the last one to sell their customer lists, but this seems to be common belief here.

Mobile phone companies are very protective of their subscriber base, if only to protect it from being poached by competitors. And they would not risk thousands of baht in recurring revenue, to make a few baht selling their subscriber lists.

I honestly do not understand the OP's situation/relationship re: Ms. Ratchana, but you might ask yourself why this first cold call occurred after just 11 years with AIS? Honestly, we give out our names and phone numbers to many different people, companies, government offices, post office, utilities, ad infinitum. I'd submit that the mobile phone company would be the last one to sell their customer lists, but this seems to be common belief here.

The defender of the realm at his best again.

As I said, Miss Ratachana is not directly related to me, and I even doubt she still is aware of this number. She registered it 11 years ago, as a friend gesture, because at that time a foreigner couldn't get a post paid number without a workpermit.

I have had cold calling previously also, but as soon they are aware that I don't understand them they usually hang up.

When I visit a company and give them my number, I'm unlikely to tell them my name is Ratchana.wink.png

So definitely the only one who can have sold the ID details to the cold calling company can have been AIS.

I'd guess that the company AIS would consider such a thing too petty - and even counterproductive as mentioned by another poster. However, it takes only one staff-member with database-access to have your personal data available on the open market.