Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry

webfact

In one post you say that there is no duty on boats. Then the next you say you paid 7%. Lets establish 1 thing. Duty=tax $$$.

I thought you had the rules was that the foreign registered boat has to leave every 3 months. But your the expert right?

No I dont own a boat at the moment but I have owned 2. And I wont buy another as I dont like hemorrhaging money.

Correct, there is no Import Duty on boats.   There is however 7% VAT, exactly the same as locally (Thai) produced cars and virtually anything else that you buy in Thailand.   No, I'm not an expert by any means, just quoting my experience.   Foreign registered vessels can remain in Thai waters for 6 months, though this can be extended if the vessel is undergoing repairs or any other excuse accepted by Immigration.

That is indeed very strange. I am surprised that they would go so far as not to let do any hobby like work on your own property. What about fixing my car or motorbike? I guess not allowed also.

I think there is more to this. I bet you these guys have built many boats and when completed sell, so not really working on their own boat per say, they are building to sell and that is a business.

surely building a boat for yourself on your own property is a hobby not work......if i do my own gardening am i working?

You will not be doing your own gardening as you cannot own a garden, as that is land.

Gardening is a restricted profession. As such, working on a Thai's gardens (be it legally your wife's land, or whoever) is taking the job away from the Thai and is therefore illegal.

Driving your wife's car while she is in it must be illegal, as that is the job of a Thai driver.

Please Aliens, read up and understand how little you are here.

You can lease land that you control. So working on it yourself is not illegal.

And there are ways to own land legally. I did it

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"And there are ways to own land legally. I did it"

Your Thai then? Takes minimum of 17 years for a farang to get a Thai Passport, at which point you could perhaps own freehold land.

Edited by rufanuf

Let's say there is an accident. You have now two choices: getting arrested for doing CPR without a work permit, or getting arrested for not giving assistance.

Read up on good samaratin laws in Thailand. You are not allowed to give any first aid

And another ridiculous post.

• Like 2

Let's say there is an accident. You have now two choices: getting arrested for doing CPR without a work permit, or getting arrested for not giving assistance.

Read up on good samaratin laws in Thailand. You are not allowed to give any first aid

How so steven?

I would not be surprised at all if in the end it becomes known that both have done this before and have sold their yachts after completion.

It would be a complicated matter to prove this.

What I said would be really easy to prove. But I presume you're thinking 'it would be difficult to prove they are building these boats to sell'.

The comment regarding previous build and dispose of is a possibility, I would be interested to know the answer.

I have to say that law enforcement could be better deployed looking at corruption, but where will you find someone clean enough to accept the role??

Any newspaper could check in the area where they live (and work :)) if that happened. And any newspaper worth its salt would do that in stead of publishing half finished stories leading to speculation all over the place.

How so steven?

If possible you are expected to and allowed to provide CPR. I'm not talking AED's here, but 'standard' CPR is no problem. See here forsomebody confirming this who should know, not the usual internet rubbish.

Edited by stevenl

"a crackdown on foreigners working illegally"

"arrests of a German man and a Swiss man who were caught building their own boats on their own properties" 

....blink.png

I thought foreigners weren't allowed to own land here.

Best regards,

Roy

[quote name="stevenl" post="6845609" timestamp="1379722166"][quote name="IrishIvan" post="6845558" timestamp="1379720735"] [quote name="stevenl" post="6845553" timestamp="1379720588"] [quote name="IrishIvan" post="6844467" timestamp="1379679914"] [quote name="klauskunkel" post="6844461" timestamp="1379679842"]Let's say there is an accident. You have now two choices: getting arrested for doing CPR without a work permit, or getting arrested for not giving assistance.[/quote]Read up on good samaratin laws in Thailand. You are not allowed to give any first aid

[/quote]And another ridiculous post.
 [/quote]
How so steven?
 [/quote]
If possible you are expected to and allowed to provide CPR. I'm not talking AED's here, but 'standard' CPR is no problem. See here forsomebody confirming this who should know, not the usual internet rubbish.
 [/quote]

I also saw that on page one of google. But this goes into more detail and iMO more accurate http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/241146-illegal-to-use-heart-defibrillator-in-thailand/

This is absolutely a joke. Needing a work permit to have a hobby now. Im gonna cook the missus dinner tonight - will i be arrested for doing this????? because this is the ridiculousness of what they have done and are suggesting. Small minded people 

dam_n, I cooked dinner for my family tonight. will the immigration plonkers come knocking on my door. Also, I repaired a rudder for my boat last weekend.

what can I do?

petrified in pattaya

Swallow the evidence.

This country will die a horrible death economically if they don't wake up soon, and stop this crap.....

No it won't.

There'll always be queues of Westernmen trying to live here no matter what.

When one sour guava rots away to the bitter core, another two fresh ones fall from the tree. wink.png

You quite possibly haven't noticed that Western Men are a bit thin on the ground lately, so hurrah for the Russians (who bring their own), and the Chinese, who are bussed about in pre paid tour groups. Do keep up.

Yeah, sounds like Thailand's dying a horrible economic death. :cheesy:

The Chinese groups on their 2 week tours would keep the English long distance lorry drivers in Chang vests and BGs for years. :D

The future of Thailand's tourist revenue is booming, and going to boom no matter what, regardless of what a few bitter guavas need to think to make themselves less angry and bitter. :D

Come on. This is far from a hobby.
These guys were producing boats and selling them.
Good on immigration for doing their job.

Keep Thailand for Thais

I know a guy here in BKK whose hobby (genuine hobby) is building the long wooden klong boats. Been here 25 years and has a house backing on to a khlong in rural Nonthaburi. Takes a year or two to make one and doesn't sell them. He says he has to be very careful when going out in them as the Thais will destroy his boats if they see them laying about. He mentioned there have been instances of guns being pulled out for using 'their' khlongs and cannot socialize with them as there would be sabotage and likely violence on serious scale.

All just very primitive, but speaks volumes about the mindset of the people.

Personally, if I was in their shoes and a foreigner came on the scene making his own boats I would be very interested in discussing their ideas and seeing the differences in our technology.

Edited by pilm
  • Like 1

The news follows the arrests of a German man and a Swiss man who were caught building their own boats on their own properties in Chalong late yesterday afternoon.

Illegal to have a HOBBY HERE NOW???? Building THEIR OWN boats on THEIR OWN property????

So, we go shopping, washing our cloths, painting our bed room or some other room, changing the wheel on our car, taking your child to school, making something for your kids ang gettin arrested for working without a permit, come on Thai Visa can you not do anything. This is going over the top, we need to contact our embassy's to put strong objections in and get them to start doing some thing. What about the world court for human rights. We cannot let them get away with this. We should all contact the main news papers in our home country's so they can blast Thailand and warn people about coming here. It is just a money making scam for the immigration head guy in Puket, it has to be. Cannot see this coming from the top immigration minister. I am going to contact the TV and papers in my home country.

Keep Thailand for Thais

So you are assuming they sell them, innocent till proven Mate, where you from. Hope something like this happens to you, would you like to be able to do your garden ang grow some veggies or something and get arrested for working and someone with brains like you accuses you of working to sell them, get real.

I would not be surprised at all if in the end it becomes known that both have done this before and have sold their yachts after completion.

It would be a complicated matter to prove this.

What I said would be really easy to prove. But I presume you're thinking 'it would be difficult to prove they are building these boats to sell'.

Would not be difficult, check the ownership of any boats and see receipts on who they buy from.

This is absolutely a joke. Needing a work permit to have a hobby now. Im gonna cook the missus dinner tonight - will i be arrested for doing this????? because this is the ridiculousness of what they have done and are suggesting. Small minded people 

you're displacing a poor native cook.. sounds like a serious crime to me.  crazy.gif

when we went to Bangkok a couple of months ago there was a motor cyclist laying on the road, probably dead but my wife told me we could not stop and help or we would be in trouble with the police. I suppose they have to control the population somehow but not being allowed to help someone due to bullshit laws is rediculous but this is Thailand, the other thing is you can be sued for their death by relatives if you are trying to help them also, really does show the lack of mentallity here. It is a great place to live as long as you disregard all the third world laws/policies they have, welcome to Thailand. 

• Like 2

Keep Thailand for Thais

So you are assuming they sell them, innocent till proven Mate, where you from. Hope something like this happens to you, would you like to be able to do your garden ang grow some veggies or something and get arrested for working and someone with brains like you accuses you of working to sell them, get real.

I know these guys build boats as a profession. This isn't a hobby operation.
Maybe if you knew the parties involved you would see this has been going on for the longest time.

• Like 1

surely building a boat for yourself on your own property is a hobby not work......if i do my own gardening am i working?

You have to consider the fact that you are dealing with an incredibly misguided group of people. That immigration has no general sense of direction, nor any coherent policy for the nation. They make it up as they go. Since there are no people with wisdom in the central government, they have no real directives, and they are simply trying to justify their salaries, on some level. So they make this policy up, and then try to implement it. It is always about avoiding the core issues, and this results in silly practices like this being carried out. Does preventing a foreigner from building a boat in his back yard in any way benefit the nation? Sounds like it may be a plea for some cash? Definitely not a legitimate policy. Sheer lunacy if you ask my opinion.

• Like 1

[

I also saw that on page one of google. But this goes into more detail and iMO more accurate http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/241146-illegal-to-use-heart-defibrillator-in-thailand/

Well, if you find people without specific knowledge discussing on a forum, so the usual internet rubbish, more reliable than an official in the know making a statement there is nothing much I can do for you.

The news follows the arrests of a German man and a Swiss man who were caught building their own boats on their own properties in Chalong late yesterday afternoon.

Illegal to have a HOBBY HERE NOW???? Building THEIR OWN boats on THEIR OWN property????

So, we go shopping, washing our cloths, painting our bed room or some other room, changing the wheel on our car, taking your child to school, making something for your kids ang gettin arrested for working without a permit, come on Thai Visa can you not do anything. This is going over the top, we need to contact our embassy's to put strong objections in and get them to start doing some thing. What about the world court for human rights. We cannot let them get away with this. We should all contact the main news papers in our home country's so they can blast Thailand and warn people about coming here. It is just a money making scam for the immigration head guy in Puket, it has to be. Cannot see this coming from the top immigration minister. I am going to contact the TV and papers in my home country.

Better get all the ins and outs before you make a fool of yourself.

when we went to Bangkok a couple of months ago there was a motor cyclist laying on the road, probably dead but my wife told me we could not stop and help or we would be in trouble with the police. I suppose they have to control the population somehow but not being allowed to help someone due to bullshit laws is rediculous but this is Thailand, the other thing is you can be sued for their death by relatives if you are trying to help them also, really does show the lack of mentallity here. It is a great place to live as long as you disregard all the third world laws/policies they have, welcome to Thailand. 

Of course you can help.

thats all shit, you will be blamed if they die or have already died when you go to assist, you will also be blamed for the accident. What these people say and do are two different things. My BIL is a police officer, he as well as my wife has told me to never offer any assistance what so ever as it opens up a legal minefield, If you are so convinced it is ok then you go and try to help someone dying and see what happens to you, you should know better than to take anything a thai official says as being anything other than bullshit.

How so steven?

If possible you are expected to and allowed to provide CPR. I'm not talking AED's here, but 'standard' CPR is no problem. See http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=941 forsomebody confirming this who should know, not the usual internet rubbish.

• Like 1

Of course you can help.

yes you can if you dont mind being arrested for causing the accident or the death, you really need to get your facts right aqnd not just what you read and pressume.

This country will die a horrible death economically if they don't wake up soon, and stop this crap.....

No it won't.

There'll always be queues of Westernmen trying to live here no matter what.

When one sour guava rots away to the bitter core, another two fresh ones fall from the tree. wink.png

Until the tree dies from being poisoned.....