Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry

webfact

yes you can if you dont mind being arrested for causing the accident or the death, you really need to get your facts right aqnd not just what you read and pressume.

As I said in another thread, I think yesterday, unfortunately immoral behaviour is not illegal.

Because IMO not rendering assistance when one can is immoral.

I don't do and don't believe in scare mongering, unlike you obviously.

Come on. This is far from a hobby.
These guys were producing boats and selling them.
Good on immigration for doing their job.

Keep Thailand for Thais

Yes  we all love "Thai quality" thats why Im building my own house, havent found a single workman capable in ANY way yet and been through many.

Save me the Ill get arrested and deported narrative.

[
If possible you are expected to and allowed to provide CPR. I'm not talking AED's here, but 'standard' CPR is no problem. See here forsomebody confirming this who should know, not the usual internet rubbish.

I also saw that on page one of google. But this goes into more detail and iMO more accurate http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/241146-illegal-to-use-heart-defibrillator-in-thailand/

Well, if you find people without specific knowledge discussing on a forum, so the usual internet rubbish, more reliable than an official in the know making a statement there is nothing much I can do for you.

I apologise if I dont believe Major Somchai the fleet admiral of the whole of Phukets traffic police.

I tend the best and most accurate way to digest and interpret information is to look at a lot of different sources and make my own assumption. I think its safe to say CPR on a Thai is a no no

This "working expats" topic is certainly a hot one  and it hits close to home with me. Being retired and "keeping busy" is a challenge anywhere, but here in Tland it is especially challenging. All of the legal quicksand here keeps me on my toes but it isn't about to stop me from doing my own  home maintenance, car and bike repair, gardening etc.The way I approach this problem is by being discreet and keeping my head down and my eyes and ears open when I'm doing something..... "Out of sight, out of mind" so to speak. Has it worked so far? Yes. Will it work in the future? Who knows, but  I'll be damned if I'm going to sit idle in front of the tv with a beer in my hand, gaining weight till I drop dead of a heart attack.   

• Like 2

Has no one actually bothered to read and understand the labour laws here. As LiK has alluded - yes most of our hobbies are considered work. Gardening, car repair/modify, yacht building... Not that I agree with it but these guys got popped for an antiquated but valid law. We all suppose that no one is gonna bother with our little bits of 'work', BUT there is always the chance!

I know of many farrang who build their own boats/ultralights/hoovercraft etc... in their own yards (or buy and sell cars/bikes) and surprisingly about a week or two after their 'project' is done they sell it. Don't bitch if you are trying to avoid the work permit and legal Thai company...

What a load of rubbish. You can quote whatever you like and belittle other members on this site but that doesn't make you a better person. Behave yourself, show some compassion for others, rather than believing that you are above others.

• Like 2

facepalm.gif Pull your necks in, idiots. 

Don't know or like the laws here? GO HOME. Simple.

We all love to criticise but seriously, if you want to live somewhere, know the laws. Stop blaming people for finally upholding their own laws - even if to foreigners the laws seem bonkers.

Careful, you may have broken a law by writing this.

Presumably you should hire a secretary to write it.
  • Like 1

facepalm.gif Pull your necks in, idiots. 

Don't know or like the laws here? GO HOME. Simple.

We all love to criticise but seriously, if you want to live somewhere, know the laws. Stop blaming people for finally upholding their own laws - even if to foreigners the laws seem bonkers.

Careful, you may have broken a law by writing this.

Presumably you should hire a secretary to write it.

It is correct to respect the law but the Law enforcers are told what laws to turn a blind eye to, which makes a mockery of the law but we cant win .

We have to put up with it.

maybe I have missed it, but I have not noticed anybody mentioning the other sie of the coin

By washing your car, mowing the grass etc you are also providing work for the immigration police and the judiciary who will come to arrest you and deport you from the country.  Therefore the net result of your minor labour is increased employment for Thailandbiggrin.png

I think the story about farang tsunami volunteers being harassed by authorities and even being arrested and deported is an urban legend. I know quite a few people both in Khao Lak and in Phuket who were there during and (luckily most of them) also after the tsunami and no single person ever confirmed this legend from personal direct or indirect experience or observation. The legend is probably made up on a bar stool somewhere and conveniently repeated over and over again on the internet as an example of absurd behaviour of Thai authorities and to show how mean they can be! Nonsense.

Also I know in theory you need a work permit for voluntary work. This law is certainly not implemented to annoy people or discourage farangs to do voluntary work but it is to prevent abuse. Otherwise one could employ a farang and avoid all the proper procedures and paperwork and taxes by simply stating that he does not get paid.

Edited by Roel
  • Like 1

As if that is not funny enough, having him say that they will not tell where they will strike next so they do not give away the surprise??? He must really be taking the piss. They give away almost ever raid they have ever done for every serious crime that is committed in this country. Yet this hobby law is the one they don't want to give anyone the heads up on??? WOW....just.... Wow!!!!  that's all I can say.

Nah they only give it away when they are off to visit Thais - not when they are off to arrest foreigners for the most obtuse reasons they can think of.

when I resided in my own home country I followed the laws of my country (that was 16 years ago) at the time and place. Now I reside in another country and follow its laws and regulations. It is very simple.

But as you say, you do not. The legal definition of work  is a catch all - any action for any reason can legally be defined as work (indeed even inaction - comatose patients expend energy). It is not possible to be here even as a transit or sort term tourist without breaking that law. Many Thai laws are vague and left to the courts to refine via precedent, but the "work" definition in immigration law is about a stupid as is possible - its a definition of a four year old child - I hope these two guys appeal and go to court, would be interesting to see how immigration explains the breach without causing a precedent (or risking the precedent to go against their definition). Roll on. 

//Edit: anT action - doh!

Edited by wolf5370

This behaviour by immigration does not surprise me in the least,, after witnessing and being told of so many arrests being made for

the strangest offences against immigration law over the last few years, mostly it seems to generate personal income,

One "offence" committed by a good friend of mine at a bar he owned, (everything in his girlfriends name, and he wouldn't even change a light bulb in fear of breaking immigration law) was that he was sat talking to me at a table outside the bar, he wasn't serving me, just sitting there chatting, but one of the seven immigration guys who arrived at the bar came over to our table and asked my pal "are you the owner", he replied that his girlfriend was the owner and everything was in her name, he asked me if i was a customer, i told him i was, he then informed my pal he was working illegally as he was sat talking with a customer, he took him to one of the waiting cars where he negotiated a release fee, my pal paid him and his associates B15,000 and they left!

This behaviour by immigration does not surprise me in the least,, after witnessing and being told of so many arrests being made for

the strangest offences against immigration law over the last few years, mostly it seems to generate personal income,

One "offence" committed by a good friend of mine at a bar he owned, (everything in his girlfriends name, and he wouldn't even change a light bulb in fear of breaking immigration law) was that he was sat talking to me at a table outside the bar, he wasn't serving me, just sitting there chatting, but one of the seven immigration guys who arrived at the bar came over to our table and asked my pal "are you the owner", he replied that his girlfriend was the owner and everything was in her name, he asked me if i was a customer, i told him i was, he then informed my pal he was working illegally as he was sat talking with a customer, he took him to one of the waiting cars where he negotiated a release fee, my pal paid him and his associates B15,000 and they left!

He offered more info than he was asked and walked right into the trap...

"Are you the owner?"

"No."

"Is he a customer?"

"We both are."

"Are you the owner?"

"No."

"Is he a customer?"

"We both are."

I would have one step further and said, "No speak english." smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

The news follows the arrests of a German man and a Swiss man who were caught building their own boats on their own properties in Chalong late yesterday afternoon.

Illegal to have a HOBBY HERE NOW???? Building THEIR OWN boats on THEIR OWN property????

Next on Thai immigration list
1. No Gardening
2. No green houses on private property.... Only Thai must do!
3. No driving 9 sweater buses
4. No carrying any kind of work tools

My question though what would a pensioner have left apart from drinking and playing with his thumbs and having to pay for his stay to do so! Perhaps, Thailand loves doing nothing and wishes their visitors doing the same..... GET A LIFE! Live in a country where you are free to live, not simply be dictated or punished for what an individual is free to do in his past time!...... Not very amazing Thailand! Edited by alanferdi

"Are you the owner?"
"No."
"Is he a customer?"
"We both are."

I would have one step further and said, "No speak english." smile.pngsmile.png

Aaaahhhhh this is so true....the story is similar in Pattaya.... Idiotic reasoning! Is this really blind to the politicians and the ministers.....Thailand immigration is injustice to the system they proudly try to defend... Blind to what is really an issue and reasoning like the police.....benefiting from it too.... THAILAND IS AMAZING...

This country will die a horrible death economically if they don't wake up soon, and stop this crap.....

No it won't.

There'll always be queues of Westernmen trying to live here no matter what.

When one sour guava rots away to the bitter core, another two fresh ones fall from the tree. wink.png

Until the tree dies from being poisoned.....

Or people find a tree, in a different place, that yields sweeter guava. :)

i dont understand what all you guys are upset about, after all everyone in the world wants to live here because its perfect in every way, so immigration can do as they please because many more will come

Look beyond the beaches and the swaying palm trees and you might see the real Thailand... 

The Thai attitude to achieving something is getting the money and then paying someone to provide whatever they want. So to them its alien doing your own diy, car repairs, building repairs or anything else that may seem manual and below their status in life. Thus they regard the foreigners doing this as mad. So yes, technically speaking, doing any work would be breaking the law and instead you are supposed to get a Thai to do it, even though you might regard the Thai as less educated/qualified/experienced to do the work, and you will probably get ripped off by the Thai.

Edited by MaiChai

It,s a shame Thailand treat foreigners like this !

What about all Thai, who lives abroad ?
Maybe we in Europe or US, should start to treat Thai,s the same way ?????
Or this are the only way to arrest roreigner, and never Thai's !

Now it,s time, for Thai Givernment to stop hunting foreigner, and they try to "steal" our money, and properties !

I cannot se any Thai, who build any boat , arrested, or charged " for illegal work ".

Be worried.:

Dont' serve you a beer in your own garden!
This are for sure criminally, who will lead diect to prison!

Time for our own countries to stop " Thai,s " who work illegal in our countries. Edited by LivinginKata
shouting in capitals reformatted

i dont understand what all you guys are upset about, after all everyone in the world wants to live here because its perfect in every way, so immigration can do as they please because many more will come

Look beyond the beaches and the swaying palm trees and you might see the real Thailand... 

The Thai attitude to achieving something is getting the money and then paying someone to provide whatever they want. So to them its alien doing your own diy, car repairs, building repairs or anything else that may seem manual and below their status in life. Thus they regard the foreigners doing this as mad. So yes, technically speaking, doing any work would be breaking the law and instead you are supposed to get a Thai to do it, even though you might regard the Thai as less educated/qualified/experienced to do the work, and you will probably get ripped off by the Thai.

So you have to get a Thai to do something that Thais won't do !!! Not following that line of thought...

Maybe you meant get a Burmese to do it ??

In Oztralia the definition of "work" is anything you do that requires effort! Industrial Safety Inspectorscan legally enter any building or site where they believe work is being done and, if you deny them access they can and do get the police to force entrance!

This includes washing up the dishes in the kitchen sink!!!  thumbsup.gifsad.png

In Oztralia the definition of "work" is anything you do that requires effort! Industrial Safety Inspectorscan legally enter any building or site where they believe work is being done and, if you deny them access they can and do get the police to force entrance!

This includes washing up the dishes in the kitchen sink!!!  Posted ImagePosted Image

Now thats a nanny state
  • Like 1

This includes washing up the dishes in the kitchen sink!!!  thumbsup.gifsad.png

Now thats a nanny state

No.  It is one which protects workers and ensures a safe environment.  Even volunteers need a safe working environment.  I have never heard of it being used in a private home without employees.

• Like 1

The Mrs. is gonna be pissed when I tell her she has to mow the lawn from now on, and fetch my beer.

I just told my missus that I cant open my own beer now. She is really angry. I told her its Thai law and there is nothing I can do about it... life just keeps getting better biggrin.png

i'm not sure it legal to wipe your own bum after a no 2 anymore, better check with immigration

wait a min, is going to check something with immigration considered work?

AAHHHhhh sorry but yu'p   checking on the legality of an issue would be consultancy,,,  even if you are the consultant and the customer,