3 British citizens arrested for overstaying on Phuket

webfact

Three foreigners arrested for overstaying on Phuket
Tanyaluk Sakoot

brit.jpg
Alex Good with police.

PHUKET: -- Three foreign men, all from the United Kingdom, were arrested late last week for overstaying on the island.

The first arrests came on Thursday afternoon (September 19), when Police visited a house in Cherng Talay and arrested two Englishmen -- Paul Wild, aged 49, and Liam Arron Quinn, aged 37.

Mr Quinn's permit to stay expired on January 9, 2013, and Mr Wild's expired on May 2011. Both were taken to the Cherng Talay Police Station for processing.

The next arrest was Alex Good, aged 27 and from Ireland. Police found Mr Good in a Chinese restaurant on Bandon-Cherngtalay Road around 1.30pm yesterday (September 20).

He arrived in Thailand from Ranong with a visa stamp which expired on May 18, 2013. He was also taken to Cherng Talay Police Station.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/three-foreigners-arrested-for-overstaying-on-phuket-42020.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-21

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British, Irish expats in Phuket arrested by Immigration
Phuket Gazette

brit2.jpg
Paul Wild (left) and Aaron Quinn pictured at Phuket Immigration after their arrest at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Three Phuket expats from Ireland and England will be deported from Thailand after being caught in Cherng Talay for overstaying.

Officers moved in and arrested Alex Good, 27, from Ireland, at a restaurant near Cherng Talay Police Station at 3:30pm yesterday, said Lt Col Chidchanok Sakornyen of Phuket Immigration.

“We had been following him for a while as we had been informed he was staying illegally in the country,” Col Chidchanok explained.

“We asked him for his passport. He said he didn’t have it with him. We took him to the immigration office in Phuket Town and checked his details on our database.

“We found he entered Thailand on May 4 through Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 18,” he said.

The arrest of Mr Good follows the arrests of two English expats – Aaron Liam Quinn, 37, and Paul Wild, 49 – at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday.

“Mr Quinn entered Thailand at Phuket Airport August 12, 2012 and was allowed to stay until January 9, 2013,” explained Col Chidchanok.

“Mr Wild entered the country at Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 27, 2011,” he added.

All three men confessed to overstaying their visas.

“The three of them have been charged with illegally staying in the country and will be sent to Bangkok to be deported,” Col Chidchanok said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/British-Irish-expats-in-Phuket-arrested-by-Immigration-22304.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-21

I had a heart in mouth moment last week. I took the bus from Phuket bus station to Satun and it made a stop at the checkpoint, like they all do but this time a policeman came on ( something I've personally, rarely seen )

He checked a few bags and saw me ( only foreigner on bus ) came straight to me and asked for my passport. I was shitting myself because I had overstayed. It was only two days but still I thought it was going to end bad. Luckily for me he opened it, looked at the main page and then the dates on the departure slip which said July 15th 2013 funny enough and gave it back to me. If he had a mind to check it closer he would have noticed my overstay but thank God he never.

A lucky escape indeed and will I overstay again in these risky times? No bloody way that's for sure!

• Like 1

As far as I know you should ALWAYS carry you passport with you in Thailand, so it is a 'normal' question.

I have a copy of EVERY page of my passport in my Dropbox so I can show them my visa if requested.

I'm sure that will go over well, trying to show them jpgs of your passport on your smartphone/tablet.

post-120350-0-63901300-1379753615_thumb.

• Like 1

Moral of this sorry ..if indeed there is one...if one is on an overstay then never discuss your visa details with anyone..... Visa runs are a popular subject among ex pats, keeps mouth shut and agree to doing boring visa runs and moan about them like everybody else..

I know a friend who had over a year overstay, when he was departing country, at airport immigration he told them he had overstay immediately , had 20k baht in his hand and passed it across, immigration official was very polite and said mai be lai ..mai be l ai..,.. passed the passport complete with Boarding pass/ticket , 20k bht to a collegue sitting at overstay desk, who filled in 2 forms which my friend had to sign, made an overstay stamp in his passport,... said naughty man to him... assured my friend that it would have no affect on future visa applications and waved him onto departure lounge.. ..

Edited by rollrunna
  • Like 2

Why wont Thailand give some concessions to clear cut cases. For example. If you have been married to a Thai and resided in Thailand for 5 years minimum on a marriage visa, and, or support a Thai child from this marriage, why cant you jointly/solely own your family home without prejudiced legislation. There are many cases in this country where there is no excuse for the Thai government to discriminate against foreigners.

• Like 2

So crime of the century, i would happier if they cleaned up some more important issues

"i would happier"

No one claimed it was priority one for the police and, as far as I know, when the police make arrests it has nothing to do with making you happy.

If the police arrest someone, the whining starts. If the police have not yet arrested someone, the whining starts. I'm sure today some people were ticketed for parking in the wrong place and some others were arrested as suspects in murder or robbery cases. They are not mutually exclusive events.

That's so true! if you are going to visit here or anyother country, do it legally! not hard to do and it is just plain laziness not to have your paperwork in order.

Two reasons I can think of why people stop doing visa runs:

1. No money. I know a guy here in Phuket who lives on THB 16,000 a month that he receives from abroad. He cannot afford visa runs.

2. Foreign authorities might be looking for a person and he is afraid his name is on some list. These people do not take the risk of being arrested at the border doing a visa run.

Don't say that one of these reasons apply to the British guys. Do not know them nor their backgrounds.

• Like 1

All very nice and we can all play the card of innocense meanwhile sometimes the laws are not as clear as they can be. Besides, which foreigner in the UK or the rest

of Europe needs to show either 800.000B or has to get married to stay longer than a little while. I still feel a lot for the eye for an eye policy: If you can't own a house here. Thais should not be able to own one in your country until they change the law. If you can't stay here for a prolonged holiday unless you pay through your nose for it, do the same to the Thais abroad. If you can't own a car on a tourist visa, do the same abroad to the Thais. If you need to report every three months to police....etc etc. See how that feels. We all know that lots of Thais own numerous houses (read: Villas) and cars in our countries of origin. But that all seems to be ok and fine.

Geez it is nearly impossible for a Thai to travel to the US unless of course they have big bucks and family connections, Plan old Somchai isn't coming to America or Great Brittan. Do a bit of research on the drivel you posted before posting

Just because it's difficult for Thais to travel to the West, doesn't negate any of what he wrote.

• Like 2

Two reasons I can think of why people stop doing visa runs:

1. No money. I know a guy here in Phuket who lives on THB 16,000 a month that he receives from abroad. He cannot afford visa runs.

2. Foreign authorities might be looking for a person and he is afraid his name is on some list. These people do not take the risk of being arrested at the border doing a visa run.

Don't say that one of these reasons apply to the British guys. Do not know them nor their backgrounds.

Another reason is, simply, laziness.

Why the f... don't they just do the required run. Sigh.

I think you lack experience and imagination..... perhaps the realisation that repeated long distance and high speed, visa dash and backs will eventually result in a collision.!.... convince some individuals that the risk of being caught on overstay is actually the better option, considering that paying 'The Fine' will remedy and normalise the situation.

I do not speak from experience, just repeating the casual 'bar talk ' one is accustomed to hearing.

Personally I don't think that having to constantly look over your shoulder and the hassle of disruption to status quo is worth it.... but then I don't need to do the border runs...