Beds - What's in a Name

My last post was removed by the mods because I named names, so now I’ll repeat my warning but without giving away any names. Hopefully this will be acceptable.

In 2009 we bought, from a well known bed manufacturer, their top of the range bed at Baht 79,900. It came with a 15 year guarantee. For the first year of its life I was working overseas, but returned to live at home at the end of 2010. By the end of 2012 the mattress had developed a significant permanent depression on my side, which I would not have expected in such an expensive mattress as I weigh less than 80kg. Therefore, in March 2013 I wrote to the company to complain. Initially I got no response so I wrote again, also sending a copy of my letter to the UK address of the company.

I was therefore a tad surprised to receive an email from the UK company saying “I see you purchased this from Thailand, I am afraid we are not the same company we are a UK based company only and do not have any communication or dealings with manufactures outside of the UK” and in a follow-up email after I commented upon the use of the same name and logo they said****** is a worldwide product but as per my previous email we are a UK based company and do not have any dealings with others using the ****** name

The company in Thailand uses the same name, the same distinctive logo and the same catch-phrases, but now I learn that it is not part of the British company so I cannot rely upon UK quality or service standards!

As it happened, just after I got this reply from UK, the company in Bangkok contacted me and arranged to collect the mattress for examination, this they did in early May (leaving a replacement for our use). They returned the mattress a couple of weeks later, but with no explanation as to what was wrong or what they had done.

Unfortunately the aforementioned permanent depression was still there so I contacted them again and they came and collected the mattress again, returning it after two weeks, again with no explanation. As of now the permanent depression remains where it was and I am giving up hope that I can ever get it fixed, despite the 15 year guarantee.

So let this be a warning to anyone considering lashing out for an expensive bed. Check first from whom you are buying. It seems that (in this case at least) a company in Thailand, having the same name and logo as a well known British brand, is not in fact part of that British company!

• Like 1

A post discussing moderation has been removed.

As we have noted many times, Thailand has some of the most draconian libel and defamation laws in the known universe.

We do not permit name-and-shame threads to protect both Thaivisa and our members (that's you) from potential legal issues.

Further discussion of this policy in the open forum will net holidays.

With any bed it's always best to turn the mattress over completely every 6 months or at least once a year.

And, turn it end to end, as well as flipping it over. i.e. There are four positions that should be rotated through: Top becomes bottom, next foot becomes head, then bottom to top again, and finally head becomes foot (the original position).

• Like 2

Hi wormfarmer - , have sent pm for name of company, as I'm one of the gullibles who likes to spend a bit more on stuff usually, in the belief that I'm getting something of higher quality.

Have been looking at furniture recently, and notice Ikea have matresses of swedish origin, using all natural materials such as horse hair and latex, that boast 15 - 25 Year guarantees without having to turn them. Their most expensive one is a quarter of the price you paid.

In your case, judging by the response you got from the UK - where is the company from exactly ? You might have more joy writing to the founding company at it's origin. It sounds like these guys are licensees. If the origin is Britain - I wouldn't let them fob you off - there are strict consumer protection laws over there, and if this end is a real franchise, under a licensing agreement, then they should uphold the same standards.

At the end of the day, that is quite a chunk of change to be laying out on a bed, and a guarantee should be honoured - indeed, that's usually half the reason I would pay more for consumer goods - otherwise what's the point ?

Last mattress I bought was from a market stall dealer - I paid about 7,000 baht for it and it lasted me for about 10 Years - without losing it's shape for Years. I moved, and gave it away to some Thais, who still use it, as far as I know.

The one I'm on now, my girlfriend bought for about 3,000 baht, and is a cheapo made of springs and coconut - it has lasted about 5 Years, but has definitely sagged now, in the 5th Year. Even at these rates, it would seem to be more of a bargain buying a new cheap mattress every Year, than an ultra fancy expensive jobby.

I'm planning on buying something a bit nicer for when our house is finished, so good to know - this type of information should be shared.

Hope you get some sort of resolution - I wouldn't give up until I did. Go viral on the company's headquarter's website. Usually have a spot for customer reviews to which I'm sure you wouldn't mind contributing ?

Maybe get the press to meet you outside the company's Thailand headquarters, and then chainsaw the bugger up, before urinating on it, in a Honda like fashion - I'm sure you would get a sound nights sleep after...

Edited by Ackybang

• 1 month later...

Since my last post I wrote again to the manufacturer sending photographs of the permanent depression in the mattress. They said they would collect it again for further examination, which they duly did.

A couple of days ago they returned and delivered to me a new replacement mattress. The replacement was not the same style as the previous one but is of an equivalent standard and price.

I remain confused about the company name - when I look on their website they clearly link themselves to the company in Europe and the original founder of the company and the spring system and the new mattress has the company name embroidered on it followed by the statement: "Europe's No. 1 for sleeping comfort" so maybe the reply I got from the UK office was a typical British brush off!

That apart, I must say that the local company has tried it's best to satisfy this awkward customer and has not tried to prevaricate.

• Like 1