A Bit Of A Gaff

Khutan

Many years ago, I was sent to do a 6 month assingment in Thailand, and knowing what an excellent destination this country is, I decided to take my clubs, only to leave them in the boot / Trunk of my (Then) wife's car at the airport.

She thought it was hilarious that I had just gone through immigration, realising I had the clubs in the car-park rather than in the aircraft.

Lucky for me, I met a really nice Thai guy at work who was also a keen golfer. He took me to his Cousin's Golf shop, I think near Rangsit, then again it could have been anywhere and I got a new set.

During the purchasing experience, we went to a driving range and I tried a number of different clubs until I decided which ones I liked. It turned out to be the Tommy Armour 855's, and to this day I still love those clubs.

As I was making the final pruchasing decision, it was 55,000 Baht from memory or about $2,000 AUD, he asked me if I liked the 19th hole..... Like it, I told him it was socially unacceptable as an Australian not to enjoy the 19th hole.

I then went on to tell him I normally liked 3 or 4 as a minimum at the 19th, and sometimes if I felt good maybe more.

My Thai friends eyes went like Dinner-plates, and he told me I must be a very strong man, thet at best he could only have 2 and he normally only had one. I told him that I understood this and that Australians enjoy "a good number" at the 19th and that was the way it was. He was shocked and I thought he was a bit of a girls-blouse.

About 2 days later I understood that he was meaning a "Special Massage" at the 19th, and I was of course, like all Australians referring to a few beers after a shower.

Needless to say there were a few giggles at work after the story spread, but then I got a few dates as well from the office girls, so not a total loss.

:o

I then went on to tell him I normally liked 3 or 4 as a minimum at the 19th, and sometimes if I felt good maybe more.

I'm not surprised at his shock... :o

It's funny innit... Thai's can be very subtle sometimes.

:D