School bus flips in Krabi, injuring 13

webfact

School bus flips in Krabi, injuring 13
Phuket Gazette

bus.jpg
The bus was carrying 13-year-olds and their teachers home from a field trip when it flipped on a curve. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: -- A school bus carrying students home from a field trip flipped in Krabi yesterday, injuring 12 students and the driver, but causing no deaths.

The busload of 49 students, all 13-year-old children, and their teachers had visited the popular Emerald Pool in Krabi and were heading home in a convoy of eight buses when the accident occurred.

The group were returning to their homes in Cha-uat District in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, renowned in national news this past week as the epicenter of violent rubber protest riots (story here).

Driver Veera Loyvanich, 62, lost control on a sharp curve and was left pinned behind the wheel after the accident, said Lt Col Pratuang Wongdech of the Khlong Thom Police.

“It took Prachasantisuk Rescue workers two hours to cut him free,” Col Pratuang said.

“Mr Veera was first sent to Khlong Thom Hospital then transferred to Krabi Hospital, in Krabi Town, for better medical treatment,” he said.

The injured children received first aid at Khlong Thom Hospital and have all been released, Col Pratuang said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/School-bus-flips-in-Krabi-injuring-13-22305.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-21

Thanks goodness the driver didnt cause this but the bus did by flipping

Those flipping buses eh,if my kids were on board Id have flipped out at the driver for sure.

Only the lucky Buddha amulets saved this moron no doubt, worse still the parents and teacher probably agree!!!

• Like 2

1% "...lost control on a sharp curve" and the rest is 99% crap about things that don't matter much, due to the1%.

Thais ignore the obvious; refuse to investigate leads to the obvious; and suffer the consequences continuously.

Once again; you can't fix stupid.

Arrrheeem........you can by enforcing the law and have severe penalties to match ,fat chance here

1% "...lost control on a sharp curve" and the rest is 99% crap about things that don't matter much, due to the1%.

Thais ignore the obvious; refuse to investigate leads to the obvious; and suffer the consequences continuously.

Once again; you can't fix stupid.

Arrrheeem........you can by enforcing the law and have severe penalties to match ,fat chance here

Agreed, but unfortunately, I am quite short of the abilities to pose conditional scenarios on a population of utter lunatics, by definition of the word.

That bit of road from the pools out of Klong Thom going south towards Trang is the worst.

I would hate for my child to end up in Klong Thom hospital - Krabi hopsital is definitely better, even though not much fun.

Poor kids must have been terrified. Luckily they were ok.

I drive Lanta to Bangkok often, and the 2 most dangerous and worst bits of the 900km trip are the single lane highway stretches either side of Krabi - between highway 44 and Krabi to the north of Krabi, and then after the dual carriageway ends at Klong Thom and until the turn off to Lanta. The worst and most dangerous driving I have seen in Thailand has been on these 2 stretches of road, and the road surface is very poor also, especially in and around Klong Thom. We call it "the dodgy bit" of the drive from Krabi to Lanta.

I rekon the bus driver was most likely suddenly confronted with an idiot driving on the wrong side of the road (probably around a blind corner) plus a very poor piece of tarmac and over the bus went.

Have come close many many times myself over the years due to complete idiots driving as if it is a ractrack and not a poorly surfaced narrow road with small houses, pedestrians, cows, and other wildlife about.

Ironically one of the worst bits is outside Klong Thom hospital - they drive like psychopaths racing past there, even though the narrow highway opens up to a dual carriageway to the north in a couple of km, and to wider roads in the town itself in a km to the south. Am always amazed there are not actual crashes outside the hospital too.