Mazda CX5 Thailand Introduction When?

OMGImInPattaya

Perhaps Mazda is following Apple's iPhone 5S introduction strategy where they ship minimal units to dealers so they can make headlines how fast the CX-5 sold out wink.png

Interesting to see if the diesel will be the 150 HP or 175 HP version.. probably the lower spec but 380 NM will get things moving for sure, especially given it's sky-active diet (1480 kg) and for those who need that little bit more oomph there's the Racechip which boosts the output to 188 HP and 479 NM w00t.gif

Wonder how this new baby will take market share from the CR-V and X1..

Pretty rev happy too for a diesel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwNUAu6kUU

If the import volumes tell the story of their projected sales numbers, they're not anticipating taking too many CR-V buyers, but are expecting to sell a whole lot more units than Subaru. It would appear they have figured their place in the market is Captiva territory - and given it's dull pricing, that means don't expect Mazda to sharpen their pencils too much..

9 million I would not exactly call minimal units.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps Mazda is following Apple's iPhone 5S introduction strategy where they ship minimal units to dealers so they can make headlines how fast the CX-5 sold out wink.png

Interesting to see if the diesel will be the 150 HP or 175 HP version.. probably the lower spec but 380 NM will get things moving for sure, especially given it's sky-active diet (1480 kg) and for those who need that little bit more oomph there's the Racechip which boosts the output to 188 HP and 479 NM w00t.gif

Wonder how this new baby will take market share from the CR-V and X1..

Pretty rev happy too for a diesel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwNUAu6kUU

If the import volumes tell the story of their projected sales numbers, they're not anticipating taking too many CR-V buyers, but are expecting to sell a whole lot more units than Subaru. It would appear they have figured their place in the market is Captiva territory - and given it's dull pricing, that means don't expect Mazda to sharpen their pencils too much..

Mazda MY are sending 9M units of CX-5 to TH? wow, they must plan on selling it for 30K Baht then if they think they're going to move numbers like that tongue.png

According to Paul Tan, they are sending 200 units, with another 400 to follow sometime soon. Considering the CR-V averages around 3000 +/- 500 units/mth in domestic sales, I think my assessment is pretty fair.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about iPhones :P As soon as I found out it still only has a tiny screen, I lost all interest ;)

Edited by IMHO

Mazda MY are sending 9M units of CX-5 to TH? wow, they must plan on selling it for 30K Baht then if they think they're going to move numbers like that tongue.png

According to Paul Tan, they are sending 200 units, with another 400 to follow sometime soon. Considering the CR-V averages around 3000 +/- 500 units/mth in domestic sales, I think my assessment is pretty fair.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about iPhones tongue.png As soon as I found out it still only has a tiny screen, I lost all interest wink.png

This. I don't think Mazda is going to offer a "gold" CX-5 as well like crapple off-topic: better wait for Note3 or Nexus 5

• Like 1

Edit: Oh, you're talking about iPhones tongue.png As soon as I found out it still only has a tiny screen, I lost all interest wink.png

Yeah, a lot of guys get caught up in the whole size thing....I think may stem from some perceived physical deficiently....giggle.gif

Indeed - in my case, fat fingers that just can't use an iPhone keyboard :)

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of guys get caught up in the whole size thing....I think may stem from some perceived physical deficiently....giggle.gif

Hijacking my own thread...Apple fanboy, did you know the new iPhone whatever's "insanely great" fingerprint phone lock scanner has already been hacked...like 2 days after the phone was released! Basically someone lifted the users fingerprints onto a piece of plastic film and pressed in on the scanner button and the phone unlocked...hahaha. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Hijacking my own thread...Apple fanboy, did you know the new iPhone whatever's "insanely great" fingerprint phone lock scanner has already been hacked...like 2 days after the phone was released! Basically someone lifted the users fingerprints onto a piece of plastic film and pressed in on the scanner button and the phone unlocked...hahaha.

Wow, more name calling, “…the last resort of fools.” I’m guessing your physical deficiency is not finger related.

To be clear, I could give-a-shit-less about the new iPhone, the old iPhone, or any phone for that matter. I was making a joke. You know, a joke, like when your girlfriend says: "Ohhhh, big-big!

Hijacking my own thread...Apple fanboy, did you know the new iPhone whatever's "insanely great" fingerprint phone lock scanner has already been hacked...like 2 days after the phone was released! Basically someone lifted the users fingerprints onto a piece of plastic film and pressed in on the scanner button and the phone unlocked...hahaha.

Wow, more name calling, “…the last resort of fools.” I’m guessing your physical deficiency is not finger related.

To be clear, I could give-a-shit-less about the new iPhone, the old iPhone, or any phone for that matter. I was making a joke. You know, a joke, like when your girlfriend says: "Ohhhh, big-big!

6hpg.jpg

• Like 2

I could be wrong but when I just checked in on http://www.mazda.co.th it seems the high output version of the 2.2 Skyactiv engine (175 HP / 420 NM) is on the way to our shores thumbsup.gif

h9q1.png

Any comments on smoothness of Mazda's modern diesel engine vs. their petrol engines used in this model? Not interested in torque or mileage but in noise levels and smooth running of the respective engines. I currently run a 10 year old Honda crv and compared to my toyoda diesel sport rider, they're like nite anindigiousd day.

Yep, it's the top-spec diesel (8.8 sec 0-100) (even capable of 216 HP and 525 NM with race-chip) outperforming 99% on what's driving on the roads today wink.png

The 2.5 Gasoline is rates at 192 HP and 256 NM Torque at a relatively low 3250 RPM

This car, being it with gasoline or diesel engine, is getting rave reviews around the world., I mean even Clarkson himself rated this car 8/10 thumbsup.gif

This car has everything to kick the hell out of the CR-V, Captiva market share but TiT and let's see how they price it..

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mazda/cx-5/road-test/driven

"It's the comfort and refinement that are most obvious. Mazda has used a new insulation material in the construction, and it gives the CX-5 a similarly hushed, isolated cabin to the best German execs"

"The diesel is a peach. It's remarkably smooth and quiet, and, if you want, you can take it beyond 5,000rpm and it won't get all shouty. But there's no need, because, as with all diesels, the good stuff happens from 1,500 to 3,500rpm. And 148bhp is all you need, tugging the CX-5 along without apparent effort.

It really has got a good turn of speed, runs silently and yet claims 61.4mpg and 119g/km of CO2. Neither a Ford Kuga nor Toyota RAV4 dips below 150g/km or manages over 50mpg. Mazda's clearly doing something right"

"The auto is great to use - it has the uncanny knack of knowing which gear it needs to be in and when to change into it. So, the sweet spot of the range is the basic manual diesel. It has a good, crisp gearshift (the throw is as short as the MX-5's, apparently) and can be had in two trims: SE-L and Sport"

I could be wrong but when I just checked in on http://www.mazda.co.th it seems the high output version of the 2.2 Skyactiv engine (175 HP / 420 NM) is on the way to our shores thumbsup.gif

price somewhere around 1.8 million one would hope it gets the top spec diesel.

The 2.5 benzine engine has 188hp/250NM.
Edited by sjonburi
  • Like 1

Yep, it's the top-spec diesel (8.8 sec 0-100) (even capable of 216 HP and 525 NM with race-chip) outperforming 99% on what's driving on the roads today wink.png

The 2.5 Gasoline is rates at 192 HP and 256 NM Torque at a relatively low 3250 RPM

This car, being it with gasoline or diesel engine, is getting rave reviews around the world., I mean even Clarkson himself rated this car 8/10 thumbsup.gif

This car has everything to kick the hell out of the CR-V, Captiva market share but TiT and let's see how they price it..

"It's the comfort and refinement that are most obvious. Mazda has used a new insulation material in the construction, and it gives the CX-5 a similarly hushed, isolated cabin to the best German execs"

"The diesel is a peach. It's remarkably smooth and quiet, and, if you want, you can take it beyond 5,000rpm and it won't get all shouty. But there's no need, because, as with all diesels, the good stuff happens from 1,500 to 3,500rpm. And 148bhp is all you need, tugging the CX-5 along without apparent effort.

It really has got a good turn of speed, runs silently and yet claims 61.4mpg and 119g/km of CO2. Neither a Ford Kuga nor Toyota RAV4 dips below 150g/km or manages over 50mpg. Mazda's clearly doing something right"

"The auto is great to use - it has the uncanny knack of knowing which gear it needs to be in and when to change into it. So, the sweet spot of the range is the basic manual diesel. It has a good, crisp gearshift (the throw is as short as the MX-5's, apparently) and can be had in two trims: SE-L and Sport"

Sounds great and the international reviews have been very positive but at anywhere near 1.8M that's getting into nosebleed territory for a small SUV!

Maybe just go with the current fortuner sportivo model at 1.5M.

I didn't see any official info from Mazda regarding the pricing in Thailand but the Malaysian CX-5 top model 2.0 gasoline goes for 153,000.00 MYR (THB 1,470.000) but cars are generally more expensive over there.. my guess is that the basic 2.0 gasoline model will start around THB 1,300.000, around THB 1,550.000 for the 2.5 Gasoline and THB 1,650.000 - THB 1,700.000 for the top spec 2.2 Diesel, similar like Captiva territory..

Sounds great and the international reviews have been very positive but at anywhere near 1.8M that's getting into nosebleed territory for a small SUV!

Maybe just go with the current fortuner sportivo model at 1.5M.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a call from a Mazda. Cars will be at the dealership this weekend for a test drive. In my case it is the Ram Intra branch and they have both the 2.0 and 2.2D available. While the official presentation will be made on the 7th of November, 22nd floor Bangkok convention center, Centara Grand at Centralworld hotel.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Found this torque curve from the U.S. CX-5 2.0L Skyactiv G engine. Hats off to the Mazda engineers for being able to basically re-invent the i.c. engine without the help of batteries or turbo chargers. Nearly all 2.0 N.A. engines develop their maximum torque (190-200 NM around 4000-4500 rpm while the Mazda has 185 NM available at just 1900 RPM and 200 NM @ 3000 RPM. Definitely should improve drivability and fuel consumption.

3knw.jpg

The 2.2 Diesel is equally impressive, 300 NM available @ 1200-1300 RPM nearly all the way to its 5000 RPM red-line. (topping around 420 NM @ 1800 RPM)

h6dv.jpg

Edited by sjonburi

As of a month ago, Mazda TH had already taken over 1000 bookings for the new CX-5, so if you had any dreams of getting your hands on the first 300, I hope you got in early.. :)

If you book now, chances are you'll be waiting until Songkhran to take delivery. If you book at the motor show, you likely won't get it until H2 2014.

Just sayin' :)

Do you happen to know the ratio between the gasoline and diesel sales?

As of a month ago, Mazda TH had already taken over 1000 bookings for the new CX-5, so if you had any dreams of getting your hands on the first 300, I hope you got in early.. :)

If you book now, chances are you'll be waiting until Songkhran to take delivery. If you book at the motor show, you likely won't get it until H2 2014.

Do you happen to know the ratio between the gasoline and diesel sales?

As of a month ago, Mazda TH had already taken over 1000 bookings for the new CX-5, so if you had any dreams of getting your hands on the first 300, I hope you got in early.. smile.png

Just sayin' smile.png

Nope, can't even get details on the make-up of the first batch I'm afraid. Not so hard to get them to boast about booking numbers though biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

yes, good thing I booked ahead of time.

here's an interesting link:

So this CX-5 is running on LPG? THB 1,30 / km compared to THB 2,20 / km when running on E20.. This high compression engine is definitely not built for LPG and with the gradual lifting of subsidies for LPG + the costs for conversion this option would be more expensive in the long term..

yes, good thing I booked ahead of time.

here's an interesting link:

yes, the LPG conversion is 80,000-90,000 baht.

Thought this guy had a preview of the Thai CX5 but it turns out that he imported it from Japan to test the LPG system.

Was interested in the options installed on the car, but since it's an import, what we will get for the Thai market is unsure.

What's the rush...and if I was really in a hurry I'd just pay up to jump the que.