Office/Desk Chairs

KelCastro

Does anyone know the best place to get office/desk chairs? We've been to Index and they were a bit pricey. We've also checked out the random furniture stands along the roads but as soon as we walk in, the prices seem to quadruple. Does any where is the best place to get a regular desk chair (good material, lean and rollers).

Thanks in advance!

Try Office Works, and Home Works South Pattaya (right next to Big C South)

I bought a nice office chair at Office Depot near Big C South a couple of years ago. Free delivery. The chair has certainly held up better than the one I bought before it at one of the generic furniture shops on Pattaya Tai.

Maybe Office Depot changed names?? since then. I was in there fairly recently, but didn't really pay attention to what its currently named.

Then it was priced at Baht 3300, which was more expensive than others I had seen, but it was probably cheaper in the long run than one of those that needs to be replaced after a few months.

Edited by Suradit69

Here's my experience with chairs which may or may not be useful to you or others. I've had 3 desk chairs here in Thailand. The first a local brand for a few thousand Baht which felt good at the store but after a few weeks gave me a really bad back ache.

I then replaced it with a Korean chair purchased from Modernform, very comfortable and fully adjustable, however it started breaking and falling apart after about 2 years. I had it fixed with original parts from the manufacturer and it's still being used now by my wife, getting to about 5-6 years without issues.

While the Korean chair was being fixed I got a Herman Miller Aeron, definitely pricey but excellent ergonomics. This chair too started showing it's age after about 3 years with some parts failing, but.. it comes with 12 years full service warranty on every single part. I had very good experience having it fixed, they come to your home for free and quite promptly.

So in my opinion it all depends on how much time you spend in your chair (I spend a ton of time sitting) and whether your back is "picky" or not.

Edited by rambling

Here's my experience with chairs which may or may not be useful to you or others. I've had 3 desk chairs here in Thailand. The first a local brand for a few thousand Baht which felt good at the store but after a few weeks gave me a really bad back ache.

I then replaced it with a Korean chair purchased from Modernform, very comfortable and fully adjustable, however it started breaking and falling apart after about 2 years. I had it fixed with original parts from the manufacturer and it's still being used now by my wife, getting to about 5-6 years without issues.

While the Korean chair was being fixed I got a Herman Miller Aeron, definitely pricey but excellent ergonomics. This chair too started showing it's age after about 3 years with some parts failing, but.. it comes with 12 years full service warranty on every single part. I had very good experience having it fixed, they come to your home for free and quite promptly.

So in my opinion it all depends on how much time you spend in your chair (I spend a ton of time sitting) and whether your back is "picky" or not.

Here did you get your Herman Miller? I am in deperate need of a new chair...

Got it from these guys: http://www.chmsystems.com/product_hermanmiller_aeron_01.php I believe they're the importers/distributors.

They have all the models in their showroom which you can try out to your heart's content and compare till you're sure which one is right for you. It's been a while since I was there but I remember it wasn't an easy choice. Some of the newer chairs are really good too.

There's a store locator at the bottom of this page: https://aeron.chanintrliving.com/

There is a large store on Wireless not too far from the British Embassy that sells the Herman Miller brand. Modernform sells the Steel Case brand which competes with Herman Miller. Many Steel Case chairs have a 8 year warranty. Super Steelcase promotion at Modernform this month on the "think" line..

There is a large store on Wireless not too far from the British Embassy that sells the Herman Miller brand. Modernform sells the Steel Case brand which competes with Herman Miller. Many Steel Case chairs have a 8 year warranty. Super Steelcase promotion at Modernform this month on the "think" line..

Yes the Steelcase Think are excellent chairs. Do you happen to know current promotion prices?

As a side note I would recommend double-checking and confirming the length of warranty local dealers give on these chairs, it is sometimes different from what the manufacturer gives..

Got it from these guys: http://www.chmsystems.com/product_hermanmiller_aeron_01.php I believe they're the importers/distributors.

They have all the models in their showroom which you can try out to your heart's content and compare till you're sure which one is right for you. It's been a while since I was there but I remember it wasn't an easy choice. Some of the newer chairs are really good too.

There's a store locator at the bottom of this page: https://aeron.chanintrliving.com/

They seem to be a bargain at + 45.000 Baht. Can buy a nice lounge for that money

They seem to be a bargain at + 45.000 Baht. Can buy a nice lounge for that money

Yeah a steal ;-) At the time I bought it there was some credit card promotion and I ended up paying 39K. The same configuration retailed in the US for about $900.

I calculated that if it died completely 1 day after the end of the 12 years warranty and were worth zero then it would mean it effectively cost 3,250 Baht a year which I think is not too bad considering how long I spend sitting in it and the alternatives I tried in the market at the time.

I'm looking for a decent chair as well. I bought one a few months back from Home Works near Big C South. It was great at first, very comfortable, cost @ 4,000 baht. Since then though the covering (which is obviously plastic) has been slowly peeling off in very small pieces so every day my floor is covered in tiny black plastic strips. Driving me crazy so it will have to go but i don't want the same thing to happen. How can you tell if the chair is leather as opposed to plastic. Ask the salesman? but then we all know they will say anything to get a sale.

Where exactly?

I do seem to get down there often enough.

Thanks for that advice. We'll def. keep it in mind when we get our chairs.

I'm drawing a complete blank of where the Modernform is......

Modernform is in the area of Homeworks, Pattaya (Sukhumvit road, just south of the Pattaya Tai junction and next door to Big C). Just park up in the Homeworks car park and walk towards Homeworks entrance. Modernform is the first store on the left hand side.

Take plenty of cash and/or credit cards. This place is seriously expensive.

The weight of a person is an important consideration too. Most of these chairs are made with the average person in mind.... average Asian for Asian built chairs.

I've given up on office chairs after going through 2 and now prefer a normal chair. I think they're better for your back too.

Ikea is definitely worth a look for anyone after a quality office chair.

I am selling a high quality ergonomic office chair . Much better than most chairs they sell in Thailand .

Asking price is 9000 baht half of what I paid for it .

Pictures of it here :

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/fuo/4045680169.html

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why are you selling it? Are you getting something better?

The weight of a person is an important consideration too. Most of these chairs are made with the average person in mind.... average Asian for Asian built chairs.

I've given up on office chairs after going through 2 and now prefer a normal chair. I think they're better for your back too.

Ikea is definitely worth a look for anyone after a quality office chair.

Yes the weight is also an important factor. Some chairs like the Aeron come in different (3) sizes to fit different height/weight categories.

I'm about 74Kg, I got the C size (largest one) and I feel it fits me fine.

The problem with buying chairs is that you can only tell for sure if its fits after spending a fair amount of time in it, i.e. after you bought it. Chairs from the leading companies like Steelcase etc. are probably a safer bet than those unknown / local brand.

I am selling a high quality ergonomic office chair . Much better than most chairs they sell in Thailand .

Pictures of it here :

I have been moving to a smaller place so no need for it anymore . I will probably regret it if my back pains returns .

Pictures of it here :

I have been moving to a smaller place so no need for it anymore . I will probably regret it if my back pains returns .

I'm curious about the strength of the wheels and base on that chair. These always fail on my chairs after a couple of years. I weigh about 105kg. I think I saw that chair in the furniture shop near HomeWorks last time I was out looking.... just next to OfficeWorks.

I only weigh 85 kg but I will be surprised if chairs of this quality can't last longer than 2 years.

This chair is 2 years old now , and since I have beeen away to Europe for longer periods its not been much in use .

Only problem is I cant remember which furniture shop in Bangkok , I found it in a show room in Central World and it was delivered to me .

• 3 months later...

As a retired programmer who used to sit many, many hours in front of a computer, I have to totally agree with this post. YES, Herman Miller chairs are expensive, but so is back surgery, which I had as a result of sitting for hours in 'bad' chairs! I had a Mira at my home and an Aeron at my desk at work, and these are the ONLY chairs I have ever had where one could sit for 8-12 hours and not have back fatigue. I moved to Thailand almost three years ago, and am on my FOURTH 3,000-5,000 baht chair, so if I had bought an Aeron when I got here, I would break even in another 3 to 4 years and my back would probably not hurt like it does now! My back constantly lets me know that these Thai chairs are not ergonomic in any sense of the word.

My issue is trying to contact the dealer here. Evidently, they do not read their email (or it is bounced) or cannot understand English emails. I am going to get my TW to call them next week, because I have written them at their 'contact us' address at least 4 times without a response. :( Not a warm fuzzy about their response if there is a problem! I really, really, really need a decent chair!

Just an aside on the longevity of the chair, I had the Mira for 6 years, and it is still in use at my daughters house 3 years on, with no issues whatsoever. I used the Aeron for 6 years, and again, not a single issue. I am not a lightweight either, so I consider this a sign of a very well made product.

KB

Just a follow up on my previous post.

I did get a return email from the vendor in BKK. It would seem that they have two email addresses floating around, and one of them is bad. I was contacted by Khun Jarutas Apichonchaipan when I wrote to 'info at chanintr.com' (modified email..replace at with @ and remove the spaces), who was courteous, helpful and wrote and spoke understandable English. They have a 'promotion' on presently that saves you around 7500 baht. The only downside to the transaction was the 3500 baht delivery fee to deliver to Udon Thani, which seemed quite high. I was able to order an Aeron through their website at https://aeron.chanintrliving.com/ that should be delivered this coming week. Here is the info for the company if you require it:

CHANINTR LIVING
10th Floor, Nai Lert Tower

2/4 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330 Thailand
T +662 655 5188 Ext.148, F +662 655 5189
Mobile Phone: 086-990 8007

Yes, these cost more here, BUT, there is no guessing as to what the import duty would be AND the 12 year warranty is honored onshore, so it turns out to be a decent deal. Also, the cost here is about the same as I paid for the Aeron 8 or 9 years ago in the US. While the price has dropped considerably in the US, freight and import duty would make it a gamble as to if it cost more or less by the time it got here, not to mention any issues that might arise with damage during shipment. If the chair lasts for 12 years as I expect it to, then it is a break even for continually buying chairs that just don't work, and my back should appreciate the ergonomics. smile.png

KB

Edited by KBTexas

• 11 months later...

Instead of starting a new topic I thought I would bump this one, with a good service report on my RicheMuller Ergonomic Chair. I love this chair but one of the wheels failed after nearly three years. I had the old emails from my purchase so sent off a request for a new wheel and perhaps a spare or two.

They got back to me quickly and within a week they mailed a replacement and a couple of spares. I had forgotten about the warranty but they had not, so no charge. I am happily rolling around again in the same place, with the same dog but with a new 5K iMac.
xNew,P2520Chair,P2520,P2520003.jpg.pages