passport issues

I have the following problem.

My wife and my son have dual nationality.

My wife and my son are now in Thailand.

I am now in Europe.

My wife and son want to fly to my country to join me.

My wife and son have a passport for my country, but they don't have a Thai passport at this moment.

My wife needs my permission to apply for a Thai passport for my son.

For this permission I went to the Thai embassy in my country.

I sent the permission by normal registered mail to Thailand.

But the whole process might just take too long and it might not be finished before the flight to Europe leaves.

Suppose on the day they need to travel, my son goes to immigration in the airport in Thailand to leave the country.

What will happen to him?

He never left the country since he was born.

So, he will not have an arrival stamp in his European passport.

He also doesn't have an arrival card.

But he will have to leave the country on his European passport.

And he doesn't have a Thai passport.

Will he be allowed to leave?

Edited by kriswillems

Yes there is no overstay for children. Provided the mother is Thai. Found this out when my son went to Thailand and entered on his farang passport and not his Thai one.

Fedex the papers to Thailand 3 or 4 days max to arrive. Get him a Thai passport. I think as he does not have an artival stamp they may insist he leaves on a Thai passport as he was born there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by maprao

You let your son arrive on a farang pasport, so there's an arrival card and arrival stamp.

But in my case somebody without arrival stamp and without arrival card in his farang passport is trying to leave the country .... so it might look like my son arrived here in an illegal way, without passing the border check points. There might be a chance the immigration computer will not accept it and he'll be forced to leave on a Thai passport.

I didn't book the flight yet, because I am not sure they can arrange things on time. But by the time I know, their flight will probably not be available anymore for a reasonable price.

PS. I had to hurry to go to Europe (medical reasons), so I had no time to arrange all the paperwork before leaving.

All is well - wife can leave on her normal Thai passport if she used that for last entry and enter your country with that passport and son can leave on foreign passport showing birth certificate as said. The only issue will be his return if on foreign passport will require the next exit to also be done using that and technical overstay if more than visa or visa exempt entry. As said overstay does not involve a fine for children in any case and if visit long enough perhaps Thai passport can be issued there for return trip.

All is well - wife can leave on her normal Thai passport if she used that for last entry and enter your country with that passport and son can leave on foreign passport showing birth certificate as said. The only issue will be his return if on foreign passport will require the next exit to also be done using that and technical overstay if more than visa or visa exempt entry. As said overstay does not involve a fine for children in any case and if visit long enough perhaps Thai passport can be issued there for return trip.

i know someone who enters on thai passport and leaves showing both

Well, for my wife it's no problem. She can apply for a Thai passport without my permission. So, she doesn't need to wait for the letter from the embassy to arrive. She entered on her Thai passport, but it expired.

In Bangna you can pickup a Thai passport after 2 working days, right?

Thanks to all for your help.

Edited by kriswillems

All is well - wife can leave on her normal Thai passport if she used that for last entry and enter your country with that passport and son can leave on foreign passport showing birth certificate as said.  The only issue will be his return if on foreign passport will require the next exit to also be done using that and technical overstay if more than visa or visa exempt entry.  As said overstay does not involve a fine for children in any case and if visit long enough perhaps Thai passport can be issued there for return trip.

They only show foreign passport to airline check-in normally if they do no have visa in Thai passport and foreign passport does or allows entry without.

They told her in the Pattaya office that if she they have to send it by EMS it will take 5 to 7 days. If she would pick it up herself it would take 2 to 3 days in Bangna. In Pattaya, the neaerest office to our city, it would take 1 week by EMS.

Edited by kriswillems

They only show foreign passport to airline check-in normally if they do no have visa in Thai passport and foreign passport does or allows entry without.

Yes exactly.

I've heard that a child can leave on foreign passport showing birth certificate but don't know anyone who has actually done it.

When returning on foreign passport should definitely make time for the 2 day passport application so the next leave can be via the Thai passport.

like i said, i know folks who show both.

All is well - wife can leave on her normal Thai passport if she used that for last entry and enter your country with that passport and son can leave on foreign passport showing birth certificate as said.  The only issue will be his return if on foreign passport will require the next exit to also be done using that and technical overstay if more than visa or visa exempt entry.  As said overstay does not involve a fine for children in any case and if visit long enough perhaps Thai passport can be issued there for return trip.

like i said, i know folks who show both.
Bad idea to show both to immigration. Especially on arrival. There have been reports of Thais being pulled aside when they showed both. Advise is to hide 2nd passport so their is no chance of immigration seeing it.