Depressed by it All!

I've been in Udon for 5 years, No problem getting my pension letter from the Embassy and it can be done by post.

90 days, in and out in 5 minutes and the wife can even do it for you.

Extensions, you meet the requirements another in and out shortest time 10 min, longest 30 min, smile and be polite. I've found Udon Immigration to be friendly and helpful.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has a pretty easy retirement visa policy but it is very conditional, one year at a time with NO PATH whatsoever to any increase in residence status EVER. Also, that is not likely to change.

So for those seeking more residence security in retirement, indeed PERMANENT RESIDENCE and even the option for citizenship -- there are some other options in the world that do offer that. Perhaps the best program for that is ECUADOR.

In case your are skeptical, when applying for expat retirement status in Ecuador it is an IMMIGRANT visa, not a non-immigrant one.

In my view, people considering retirement in Thailand are very wise to examine the pros and the cons, and the lack of long term residence security here is definitely a con.

Excellent post. Long term is always a concern...but the advantages outweigh the concerns.

This seems to identify the main issue from my point of view.

The general administration currently for retirement extensions and 90 day reporting usually do not seem to cause any problems for most people, although as with everything there are always exceptions.

But as Jingthing states above, there is currently no long-term security with this, just 12 months at a time. If this will change in the future (for better or worse!), who knows.

I'd suggest you re-evaluate nearer the time of your likely arrival, based on what may well be different options than today.

OP forget some of the rubbish you read on here from the doom and gloom merchants

As long as you have the money in the bank and the correct paperwork there will be no issues in you getting your visa

Tea money may be paid at the odd Immigration office but it is a rare thing and only paid by fools who don't know any better

I have lived in Hua Hin for 8 years and not once have I heard of someone who has the correct paperwork and money in the bank being asked to pay

• Like 1

Pilotman, no need to get worked up about this. My last 90 day reorting took me three minutes, didn't even get time to sit down - and that was on a Friday afternoon. My one year extension in February too less than 20 miuntes. Here in Pattaya we can get a Proof of Income letter from the British embassy using a designated visa agent, or make it a day out in Bangkok once a year to visit the embassy in person.

I think you are getting yourself worked up over nothing,it comes with age so people tell me.Ask yourself one question,if it was worse than the uk or other developed western countries,then why are so many people from them same nations choosing to live here.

The malaysian mm2 program's good, as they give you a 10 year come and go,stay as long or as little as you want visa,so long as you meet the requirements. Plus you can import your own vehicle in tax free.However property's more expensive.

Despite all that you read on here,ask any of the farangs who live here would they wish to return home, and i think you'd find the answer to be a very resounding NO THANKS.

• Like 1

I think you are getting yourself worked up over nothing,it comes with age so people tell me.Ask yourself one question,if it was worse than the uk or other developed western countries,then why are so many people from them same nations choosing to live here.

The malaysian mm2 program's good, as they give you a 10 year come and go,stay as long or as little as you want visa,so long as you meet the requirements. Plus you can import your own vehicle in tax free.However property's more expensive.

Despite all that you read on here,ask any of the farangs who live here would they wish to return home, and i think you'd find the answer to be a very resounding NO THANKS.

Depends on how long they've lived here.

Depends on how long they've lived here.

Then their option is simple, it's not compulsory to stay!!

p_brownstone

Some love to talk/write about "tea money"

In all my time here I have NEVER been asked for nor have I paid "tea money"

Are these stories just an urban myth ?

Sadly not myth. Immigration asked me if I wanted to wait the normal 30 days consideration for an extension of stay based on marriage or would I like to pay a little extra for the "express" 3 day service!

That was a few years ago and seniors have changed several times since then. Never been asked for anything since. Much more professional now.

Did you really pay Tea money on this occasion though?

You were offered a faster option which you decided to take, you could have refused if you had wished to do so and took the 30 day option for free

It always makes me laugh when people tell me they were "scammed" by a copper for 200 Baht for not wearing a helmet

They have not been scammed at all, they pay the 200 so they can be back on their way within seconds, the other option is to take the ticket and pay at the station which they choose not to do so how can they complain about being scammed?

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1

A friend of similar age has been here for a while and is well respected and received at immigration. Every time he goes there he offers them some 'tea' which is well received.

Your friend is not "well respected and received at Immigration" - he is seen as an easy Mark and secretly despised as such.

Thai Immigration Regulations are well known, written in Law and Royal Decree, if one meets the requirements there is absolutely no need to bribe or pay "Tea" money.

Patrick

Yeah....I have never had a guest bring me tea, it is usually us as the host offering friends tea, or beer or dinner or weed.

Makes me laugh when know nothings stick there narcissistic oar in just because they haven't experienced it.

Sadly Thailand is full of these people. The Op has concerns and looks to get a realists view of immigration in Thailand. Ignorance is rife here and some would do well to appreciate and understand the significance of kulture.

God knows some people can't even spell the word!

A friend of mine started earlier this year, get the list of stuff from your local Thai embassy, go to Thailand on a tourist visa and give it to one of many local lawyers/visa agents to take care of; they will also do your reporting for you.

Cost is probably Bt3,000 a year in total or thereabouts.

If money isn't your issue, that is a small price to pay to not have to mix with the great unwashed for valuable hours or even days of your twilight years.

it' more like 15,000 Baht "or thereabouts" if you want "full service" including multiple re-entry visa, 90 days reporting, two residence letters, documents signed at home and passport collected and delivered.

Pilotman,

Dont worry,if you can meet the financial requirements no problem whatsoever.

The income letter from the British Embassy is easy and can be done by post.

I've been getting my extension to stay on the basis of retirement from Udon Immigration for 6 years now and never a problem.If you are polite and courteous with them they will respond with the same.

Its the hotheads who go in there shouting the odds that encounter a problem !

So relax and enjoy your well earned retirement .wai2.gif

PS: The Malaysia Retirement scheme is expensive for what it is,although you do get 10 years.If you need a Plan B consider Phnom Penh in Cambodia.....easy to get a 1 year visa,friendly people and cheap beer !biggrin.png

• Like 1

Pilotman,

Dont worry,if you can meet the financial requirements no problem whatsoever.

The income letter from the British Embassy is easy and can be done by post.

I've been getting my extension to stay on the basis of retirement from Udon Immigration for 6 years now and never a problem.If you are polite and courteous with them they will respond with the same.

Its the hotheads who go in there shouting the odds that encounter a problem !

So relax and enjoy your well earned retirement .wai2.gif

PS: The Malaysia Retirement scheme is expensive for what it is,although you do get 10 years.If you need a Plan B consider Phnom Penh in Cambodia.....easy to get a 1 year visa,friendly people and cheap beer !biggrin.png

All true. And great restaurants in PP. But quality of medical care is very poor, which is an issue especially for retirees. In thailand there is the problem of cost, in Cambodia you have to tack onto that the cost of flying to eiother Thailand or Singapore (including the very high cost of medi-evac if you are too ill to fly on your own).

Makes me laugh when know nothings stick there narcissistic oar in just because they haven't experienced it.

Sadly Thailand is full of these people. The Op has concerns and looks to get a realists view of immigration in Thailand. Ignorance is rife here and some would do well to appreciate and understand the significance of kulture.

God knows some people can't even spell the word!

Haha with a K? Very droll

Say the OP has all the correct paperwork and the money in the Bank, what possible "Tea money" would he need to pay?

Unless he walks in there with a face that says "I am a complete idiot and will bow down to your superior worthiness and pay whatever you ask me to" he will pay what is required and nothing more

The only way he will pay any more if is he doesn't have the money in the bank, a certain deal may be made for him by Immigration for which they will naturally want paying for

Seems some on here just accept that they are being ripped off and think it is part of life here, it is not if you use your brain

• Like 1

10 visa extensions for retirement. First few years at Bkk, then at Sakeow, and last few years Chachengsao. So 3 separate locations.

Only time I was ever asked to pay anything was when I tried to do it a month in advance and the money was about a week short of having been there 90 days and I couldn't wait as I needed to leave the country...in other words, there was a technical flaw with my documentation. They first just told me to go home and come back in a week, it was after I beseeched them to give me a break that the $ was requested. Which I paid as they were in fact "bending" the rules for me.

Otherwise, never. Never asked for money, never offered it.

• Like 1

Just completed my first Retirement Extension based on a Non-O visa, plus got a multiple re-entry permit.

As you may know, this allows one to live here for a year.

The entire process took less than 90 minutes at the Bangkok Immigration Office, professional and friendly service.

Filing your 90 day address form can be done my registered mail, as stated previously.

There is absolutely no need to hire anyone to help you, as long as you are able to fill in a simple 1-2 page form, make a few copies of your pp,

a headshot, and obtain a letter certifying your financials.

So there you have it. Think you can handle it ;-) ?

I didn't spend the time to read everyone else's comments; my experiece is, it's all quite simple.

Once you've done it once and know what you need you can gather the paperwork and it all falls in to place. I've never had a problem and usually my wife and I treat the trip to immigration as a day out, nice meal etc and don't get stressed.

• Like 2

Like the OP, the prospect of living in LOS as a retiree did fill me with feelings of dread and apprehension before I actually took the plunge and moved out here 5 years ago. In the event the various immigration requirements have not, in practice, proved unduly problematical to comply with in my case, and probably pale into insignificance when compared to all the stress and hassle which the OP and his Thai wife undoubtedly experienced at the UKBA's hands in obtaining the necessary settlement visa to enable her to live with him in the UK (assuming, of course, that this is, in fact, the case)!

Edited by OJAS

A friend of similar age has been here for a while and is well respected and received at immigration. Every time he goes there he offers them some 'tea' which is well received. As any guest does when entering another's domain.

Some people refuse to play this game and as such report various issues they have to suffer. My friend never has a problem, even when there is one. As I say the immigration guys appreciate his understanding and as such reciprocate.

This is Thailand, it may not in reality be the land of smile. But as a guest one is required to buy into this perception and will do well to avoid pointing out it's failings.

Thailand is like a beautiful receptive woman that expects to be treated with respect and welcomes those that understand the nature of the relationship. In short give her all she demands and she won't make any trouble for you.

But what happens when you cannot afford to a wife or too ill to be concerened with border runs 90 day reports,wife dies and then have to change status etc.

All fine when hale and hearty and mobile.I don't thnk cash is your worry.Just plan for what to do alone and here with limited mobility.

If you can afford Malaysia I would suggest it is a more secure place.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

A friend of similar age has been here for a while and is well respected and received at immigration. Every time he goes there he offers them some 'tea' which is well received. As any guest does when entering another's domain.

Some people refuse to play this game and as such report various issues they have to suffer. My friend never has a problem, even when there is one. As I say the immigration guys appreciate his understanding and as such reciprocate.

This is Thailand, it may not in reality be the land of smile. But as a guest one is required to buy into this perception and will do well to avoid pointing out it's failings.

Thailand is like a beautiful receptive woman that expects to be treated with respect and welcomes those that understand the nature of the relationship. In short give her all she demands and she won't make any trouble for you.

But what happens when you cannot afford to a wife or too ill to be concerened with border runs 90 day reports,wife dies and then have to change status etc.

All fine when hale and hearty and mobile.I don't thnk cash is your worry.Just plan for what to do alone and here with limited mobility.

I am currently caring for an elderly relative in a Thai nursing home in Pattaya. The 90-day reports ant the annual visa renewals can be done by the nursing home staff.

Of course, when one is old and infirm, one must have family, friends, or staff (nursing home) to take of these things and the funds to carry it off. Don't see how it would be any different or more secure in Malaysia.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I am currently caring for an elderly relative in a Thai nursing home in Pattaya. The 90-day reports ant the annual visa renewals can be done by the nursing home staff.

Of course, when one is old and infirm, one must have family, friends, or staff (nursing home) to take of these things and the funds to carry it off. Don't see how it would be any different or more secure in Malaysia.

THe diference is....in Malasia he does not have to have a report made every 90 days and he only has to do his visa once every 10years.

THe diference is....in Malasia he does not have to have a report made every 90 days and he only has to do his visa once every 10years.

I get that...my point was that these aren't very onerous in practice.

Get your ducks in a row before moving here with a non-o visa convertible to a retirement extension of stay and kick back and enjoy. When I go to immigration I have no problem some people I know complain and carry on about the same experience and are miserable. It's all in your head what the experience will be.