China 'serious' about rail link with Asean

webfact

Firstly I think China will be the saviour of Thailand... We can resume this debate in 10 years time.

Second China Vientiane Udon Bangkok makes enormous sense, and I imagine our Laotian neighbours have already signed prelim contracts.

Third. A smart Thai Government would have China build a new railway to CM as a concurrent project utilising the expertise, materiel and logistic links that would have already been imported or created for the main project.

Finally, A smart Thai Government will look to ASEAN to shoulder some of the costs.

Just a few idle thoughts ......

I agree ten years we will have revealed a lot of flaws and good points in it all. Right now it is a guessing game. I give China the edge because they have just proved there willingness to try and convict people on high government posts of corruption as well as the work they are putting into green energy. Thailand is unwilling to even look at it. As for Thaksin that was all after he was removed from office.

The one point I would disagree on is the logistic links to Chiang Mai they have all ready looked at thgat and ruled it out. Chiang Rai was ruled a logical link as the terrain would allow it.

I just hope they do it in my time as I would dearly love to ride it.

In fact I was hoping for a ride to Banglol on the train but not under the present maintenance system. Train derail then maintain.

Just for clarity, the logistic links I meant would be the ones put in place for building the new China - Thai west coast (Burma?) railway via Udon Thani. Seaport to [wherever]. Logistics generally - Transport, camps, labour, project offices, plant and machinery. From the Thai side presuming BKK to Udon possibly via Phitsanalok. My point is another line could be built concurrently from Phitsanalok north to CM utilising arrangements already put in place for the main project.

What will the Thai's do with the flood of Chinese workers that will be sent to build the new railroad. Look at all the imported Chinese workers that have been used in Africa and South America for the big Chinese backed projects. Hummmm

Yup.... They'll be coming for sure.

The further this nation gets into bed with China the worst it will be for them. They are well out of their depth. For a country that has a myriad of problems dealing with nations on it's own borders just how do they think that they can deal with China. Both the economic and political concepts of these two bedfellows are far from aligned with the exception that they are both corrupt elitist regimes derived from poverty and ignorance.

Most Thai land is, and Thai businesses are owned by Chinese Thais already, hence the Thai paranoia about farangs buying or owning property or businesses which we have to suffer. But this is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. And lets not forget that Thailand is, at present, led by a Chinese Thai dynasty.

train system needs to be good here first

The system is being improved all the time. All across the country, the old wooden ties have been replaced with concrete and the roadbed has been rebuilt under the new line.

China wants a rail link from the south east through Indo China to Singapore but it won't be the same route Thailand wants.

China wants to connect thru Vientienne, Udon Thani to Bangkok, but the Thai Government is spending it's money on expanding the line to Chiang Mai, where mountains block access to China. Common sense in Thailand - 'No Way - Jose'...

But in all fairness they did allow for the possibility for a spur line to Chiang Rai.

One big and glaring mistake in their list was

"Other bilateral cooperation would include education, new energy and water management,"

They must not realize that Thailand needs no help with any thing they know it all. Unless they were meaning Thailand could teach them. But some how I don't think that was their intent.smile.png

edit

I forgot to mention that China spends more money on green energy than any other country in the world.

"I forgot to mention that China spends more money on green energy than any other country in the world.".......which shows they have intelligent foresight.