Worst flooding in 26 years - girl, 10, swept away in Prachin Buri

webfact

Girl, 10, swept away in Prachin Buri
The Nation

30215593-01_big.jpg

Fears for Saha Rattana Nakorn estate riverside communities in bangkok also warned of possible overflow

PRACHIN BURI: -- A 10-YEAR-OLD girl was washed away and feared dead yesterday as the eastern province of Prachin Buri battled its worst flooding in 26 years.

"Big waves were generated by three military vehicles that came to the area to help flood victims," a witness said.

Locals said Sasikarn Wongprai and her girlfriend were playing in 30-centimetre water in front of her home in Sri Maha Pho district when big waves swept both girls into a nearby field covered by four metres of water.

Bystanders rushed to help them but could only find and rescue Sasikarn's friend. Sasikarn did not go to school because it was closed due to the raging currents.

Four districts including Sri Maha Pho have been declared flood-disaster zones. Heavy downpours continued to pelt Sri Maha Pho and Kabin Buri districts.

Deputy PM Plodprasop Suraswadi, who chairs the Water and Flood Management Commission, said he had ordered officials not to release any water from Khun Dan Prakan Chon Dam in Nakhon Nayok into Prachin Buri for at least two days.

This dam, which can hold 280 million cubic metres of water, was saving Prachin Buri from worse flooding, he said.

But there has been growing opposition for a dam proposed in Mae Wong, with a big protest held against it in Bangkok on Sunday.

Plodprasop threatened to reveal a letter showing that Pramote Maiklad, now opposed to the Mae Wong project, used to support it when he was head of the Irrigation Department.

The dam is part of a Bt350-billion flood management scheme proposed by the government aimed at overhauling the country's water-management system in the wake of the great flood of 2011, which took hundreds of lives and caused massive economic damage.

During the crisis two years ago, seven industrial estates were submerged.

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011. "Two years ago, we had to handle 25-30 billion cubic metres of water. This year, it's less than 15," he said.

Premier Yingluck Shinawatra admitted that she was worried about the flood threat to Saha Rattana Nakorn Industrial Estate in Ayutthaya, which was one of the seven badly flooded in 2011.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has warned more than 20 communities in the capital along stretches of the Chao Phraya, without floodwalls, to brace for possible overflow. The river has risen ominously lately.

"We have advised residents of these communities to move their belongings to higher ground," said Sanya Chenimit, deputy city clerk.

With some sections of flood barriers starting to leak, officials are building temporary floodwalls with sandbags where necessary.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-25

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad. Yet this is the only tragedy we have heard about in the newspaper. It would be interesting to know how many The Nation reporters are up in the flood zone wading around in the water up to shoulders getting the facts first hand from poor Thais suffering?

• Like 2

Sad. Yet this is the only tragedy we have heard about in the newspaper. It would be interesting to know how many The Nation reporters are up in the flood zone wading around in the water up to shoulders getting the facts first hand from poor Thais suffering?

Not sure how much of this tragedy is down to the flood and how much down to bad driving - what sort of plonker drives fast enough through 1 foot of water to cause a bow wave big enough to sweep away two kids?

Answer: drivers of big army vehicles.

Surely something as definitive as this would serve to highlight that the current government is totally incompotent.

Flooding in Thailand is a natural phenomenon owing to the topography and geographical location, however, little has been done to minimize the damage except for banal assurances that what is occuring is in fact not happening by virtue of the efforts of this pathetic political regime.

Contrary to Ms Yinglucks and her lackies assurances there is in fact much to worry about and it will remain so while this circus remains in office.

I wonder how many politicians are doing the same?

"Premier Yingluck Shinawatra admitted that she was worried about the flood threat to Saha Rattana Nakorn Industrial Estate in Ayutthaya, which was one of the seven badly flooded in 2011."

Hopefully this little girl will be found safe and sound and those whos homes are flooded and lives are in ruin can take comfort from the words of the nations leader......

"Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is confident the country, currently hit by a flood which affected 605,000 people in 21 provinces, will be able to do better than two years ago, in managing the situation."

Edited by waza

I think it's really important to understand that flooding can happen in any country, and it does. The UK and the USA for example have had serious floods recently.. it's nothing new.

There is only so much that man can do to control nature. It's easy to blame the government and I'm sure they could have done more.. but floods will happen.

• Like 2

I think it's really important to understand that flooding can happen in any country, and it does. The UK and the USA for example have had serious floods recently.. it's nothing new.

There is only so much that man can do to control nature. It's easy to blame the government and I'm sure they could have done more.. but floods will happen.

Stick around for another thirty years and you'll be able to cut and paste these stories about Thai flooding.

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011

I am sure that the parents of the 10yo find this very comforting.

This cretin is on record of saying 2-3 days ago 'don't worry' Where do they get these clowns from bah.gif

These people don't know the meaning of planning 'or taking action NOW to mitigate the effects'

Maybe they were never told that, "it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

Edited by johnlandy

...yet, they don't!

...yet, they don't!

I wonder how many politicians are doing the same?

"Premier Yingluck Shinawatra admitted that she was worried about the flood threat to Saha Rattana Nakorn Industrial Estate in Ayutthaya, which was one of the seven badly flooded in 2011."

Hopefully this little girl will be found safe and sound and those whos homes are flooded and lives are in ruin can take comfort from the words of the nations leader......

"Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is confident the country, currently hit by a flood which affected 605,000 people in 21 provinces, will be able to do better than two years ago, in managing the situation."

Yes she will do more while in japan

sad story, poor girl the first life taken away by the flooding water this year. yet I guess no one gives a damn in the govt as she won't cause billion baht of economical lost.

is it still the face saving debate for these high officials and politicians ?

sad story, poor girl the first life taken away by the flooding water this year. yet I guess no one gives a dam_n in the govt as she won't cause billion baht of economical lost.

Actually the little girl is the tenth person that has perished in this years flooding. I believe at least one maybe more persons are missing. Article in other paper.

Good thing everything is "under control".

Edited by dcutman

But Plodprasop insists that the water mass now is much less than in 2011. "Two years ago, we had to handle 25-30 billion cubic metres of water. This year, it's less than 15," he said

What's with the constant comparisons to the floods of 2011? Does it make her and government less concerned about it cos it's not yet as serious as the last flood? bah.gif

sad story, poor girl the first life taken away by the flooding water this year. yet I guess no one gives a dam_n in the govt as she won't cause billion baht of economical lost.

Actually the little girl is the tenth person that has perished in this years flooding. I believe at least one maybe more persons are missing. Article in other paper.

Good thing everything is "under control".

Though the death of this child is a tragedy the underlying problem that does not get mentioned gives more context to this situation. Drowning is the leading cause of death amongst children , 2650 deaths a year according to one survey.