Bangkok braces for floods as Chao Phraya River rises

webfact

Please ... you Farang posters. Stop this silliness blaming the Thai government for floods. Every country has floods. Look at Colorado in the US; look at the yearly firestorms in California; look at New Orleans. As I recall. you can see floods in 1942 with rowboats at Victory Monument. Bangkok is built on a mud flat, a flood plain. It's mother nature, not the government.

Thank you...

Too much commonsense in that TG

Most of these posters are looking for something to moan about and to vent their hatred of the PM and all things Thaksin.

Somehow, the descriptions of situations, any situation, are more dire on TV than they are in reality.

Goes with the forum, i suppose.

I've been flooded out a few times in the last few years, before you ask.............................

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please ... you Farang posters. Stop this silliness blaming the Thai government for floods. Every country has floods. Look at Colorado in the US; look at the yearly firestorms in California; look at New Orleans. As I recall. you can see floods in 1942 with rowboats at Victory Monument. Bangkok is built on a mud flat, a flood plain. It's mother nature, not the government.

Thank you...

I have no problem with that at all and agree with you entirely.

What I object strongly to however, is intervention of the natural water flow at the expense of areas other than BKK.

Just like 1942, let the water go where it wants to go.

• Like 1

I don't think things will get as bad as 2011. There just isn't the runoff heading south from the northern region. Chiang Mai is dry at the moment. Reservoirs, rivers & canals are low. 2 years ago there was a hell of lot of water released at the same time as massive rains.

Chiang mai rain doesn't go to BKK.

All the water from the already flooded provinces goes to BKK.

Thank you...

Most of these posters are looking for something to moan about and to vent their hatred of the PM and all things Thaksin.

Somehow, the descriptions of situations, any situation, are more dire on TV than they are in reality.

I've been flooded out a few times in the last few years, before you ask.............................

And of course, the situation was worse on TV forum, than it was in your home?

When my wife's family were flooded out, I remember they considered it very dire in reality.

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.
  • Like 2

More waters from North worries city administration

13801080282430-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 25 – The Irrigation Department’s release of water from upstream reservoirs at 500 cubic metres per second could jeopardise Bangkok’s flood prevention measures and drainage capability, a senior
city administration official said today.

Bangkok Deputy Governor Amorn Kitchavengkul said the Drainage and Sewerage Department was instructed to boost the efficiency in draining water into the Chao Phraya River.

The six-kilometre tunnel at Bung Phra Ram 9 is capable of taking water from Klong Saen Saeb, Klong Lard Prao and Klong Phra Kanong to the Chao Phraya River at 60 cubic metres per second, and alleviate flooding in Bangkapi, Lard Prao, Wang Thong Lang, Bung Kum, Huay Kwang, Sapan Soong and nearby areas covering about 50sq/km, he said.

Mr Amorn said four water pumps at the giant tunnel are running at full speed and waters have been drained out of the city's roads into the Chan Phraya River via the canal system.

The city administration’s concern is the release of water at an additional volume of 500 cubic metres per second into the Chao Phraya River.

The Chao Phraya is capable of taking water at 2,500-3,000 cubic metres per second but the additional water from northern reservoirs will exceed the river’s capability, he said, adding that Bangkok needs six more tunnels to boost its drainage capability. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-25

Here is the proof that the Thai government only ever seems to open its mouth to tell lies to the people.

I can not think of how resilient they are to losing face and bringing tremendous amounts of shame onto themselves.

They never seem to have any problems with losing face.

Almost every comment on the flood potential have been pure 100% bullshit and they knew it all along, the thing is... so did everyone.

Do the people realize how dangerous this government is to Thailand??

Looks like a lot of good posts to day and I don't want to run out of likes so I thought I would just repost it.

there is so much truth in it. they are to stupid to realize they are loosing face just by opening there mouth. They think it is OK to lie because the Finance Minister told the Thai people it was OK to lie if it makes them feel good. Now every one knows and they have no intention of changing.wai2.gif

Does any one know if Yingluck told the river it was not supposed to flood She has spoken.tongue.png

Well now back to read up on the usual group of PTPredshirt justifiers should be interesting.

whistling.gif

• Like 2

BANGKOK, Sept 25 – The Irrigation Department’s release of water from upstream reservoirs at 500 cubic metres per second could jeopardise Bangkok’s flood prevention measures and drainage capability, a senior
city administration official said today.

Passing the buck.... upstream.... I was wondering when this was going to happen.

Thank you...

Flooded out?

Did you sit there believing all the government propaganda or move your possessions upstairs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most of Bangkok will be flood-free despite 2 approaching storms,National Disaster Warning Center assured /The Nation

Well coming from those two sources if you live in Bangkok . Run for high ground. Neither source has to good of a reliability record. In fact one of them is a Government organization that has come out and openly admitted it is OK to lie if it makes people feel good.

• Like 1

Thank you...

Dear Phil,

2 simple questions:

1. What do you call a person who firmly believes that dipping a small spinning propeller into a khlong or river will consistently increase its overall flow speed and help to push water out into the ocean?

2. Do you consider this person suitable for being in charge of the overall water and flood management of a country in the tropical zone?

Correct answers: (read from right to left: 1. ssabmud, 2. on)

Oh come on!

Everything Thais do is great, Thailand is 101% like paradise, every Thai- politician is a genius and...so on and so on...and if you don't like it, because the stupidity of some is threatening your life and well- being (and the well- being of those you allegedly "bash"...go home!

How original!

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Most of Bangkok will be flood-free despite 2 approaching storms,National Disaster Warning Center assured /The Nation

The definition of Bangkok comes into play here

Most of Bangkok ? means some parts will be flooded ?

If was reading that, and I lived in Don Muang and Nonthaburi,, and out East I would start packing now. I think you can pretty much guarantee to know which bits are defintiely going to stay dry and which bits are going to be sacrificed. Exactly the same as last time.

These people really don't give a crap if they get caught in a bare faced lie. On Saturday it was 'Don't worry'. Yesterday it was under control, today, "most of Bangkok will not flood". By Friday, it could be a catastrophe bigger than 2011, who the hell knows. These people would lie about their own name if they thought it would make life easier 10 seconds later.

Could be worse for some now as they have built 2 meter high flood walls around Don Mueang airport and the militarily one.

• Like 1

Thank you...

Dear Phil,

2 simple questions:

1. What do you call a person who firmly believes that dipping a small spinning propeller into a khlong or river will consistently increase its overall flow speed and help to push water out into the ocean?

2. Do you consider this person suitable for being in charge of the overall water and flood management of a country in the tropical zone?

Correct answers: (read from right to left: 1. ssabmud, 2. on)

Oh come on!

Everything Thais do is great, Thailand is 101% like paradise, every Thai- politician is a genius and...so on and so on...and if you don't like it, because the stupidity of some is threatening your life and well- being (and the well- being of those you allegedly "bash"...go home!

How original!

coffee1.gif

Well it is no secret that you are a part time PTPredshirt supporter but that is no excuse for that idiotic post. Other than yourself who has made those claims and your ever so clever original go home response you are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

All he did was ask two reasonable questions and supplied the answer most of us agree with.wai2.gif

• Like 1

A post bashing Thais has been removed along with a reply. A troll post has also been removed.

Please stay on topic.

In my opinion, (ALL posts bashing Thais on this or any other forum should be immediately removed and the members posting such negative rubbish must be dealt with accordingly!!)

Get a life guys! type something positive for a change instead of your rather BORING NEGATIVE INSULTING RUBBISH!

You are referring to Thailand, Its People and their Culture who do not deserve your negative type insults.........................its simple!!! If you are not happy there, get an air ticket and go back home where you were obviously exiled from!

Tenacious!!

Well mister know it all not many people are bashing The Thai population here just the Government. Now go back in the bar and continue with your important dribble.

Here is some thing positive for you the PTPredshirt government is inadequate to the job of governing.

Happy now

• Like 1

Thank you...

Flooded out?

Did you sit there believing all the government propaganda or move your possessions upstairs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Trust me I have been following his posts for quite a while now. He/She actually comes out with some good ones as long as it is not about the PTPredshirt government.

They sat there and believed the government. Still do apparently.

Floods will happen and there is no way of getting around that. It is not the Governments fault and any one who says it is are wrong. But when the Government says it has done things to prevent them and they still happen they deserve to be called on the carpet for it. Have they come out with a reason yet why floods are occurring where they said they would not.

What can we expect from a Government in office for 25 months with a PM that has visited 31 countries and has her brother calling in to Cabinet meetings rather than attending her self. It would be nice if she could attend as many parliament sessions as she does countries and defend her self rather than read a prepared text.

Trust you? Of course! jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

• Like 2

I don't think things will get as bad as 2011. There just isn't the runoff heading south from the northern region. Chiang Mai is dry at the moment. Reservoirs, rivers & canals are low. 2 years ago there was a hell of lot of water released at the same time as massive rains.

If it is all the same to you I would rather you didn't try to promote Chiang Mai. We have a big enough population as it is now. Tell them about the lack of floods in Pai.

• Like 1

If it is all the same to you I would rather you didn't try to promote Chiang Mai. We have a big enough population as it is now. Tell them about the lack of floods in Pai.

Promote CM? LOL, the burning season starts next week!!! October to July bah.gif . Better to sit the floods out laugh.png

I'm sorry, I just told a lie. There is no burning season. The burning is year round. The last few weeks, it's been the orchard growers burning their pruned fruit trees. soon to be the rice farmers, then the lazy landowners who let the weeds grow to 3m high on unoccupied land. Plus all the villagers who can't afford 5 baht a week for garbage collection........

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

hellodolly...

First of all: it is no secret, that I am a part time PTPredshirt supporter?

a) even if: so what? b ) maybe in your wild and weird fantasy. Just because someone asks for some balance in some posts, doesn't make him a supporter of one or the other!

...and secondly: do me a favor and google "sarcasm" or "irony", Mr. Knowitall!

I was referring to Thaigold and philw in my reply and you might have noticed that, if you would not see a Thaksin- fan behind every bamboostick...wai.gif

There are so many expert Hydrologists here on Thai Visa I'm surprised there is any problem at all. You should start a company and contract your services out to the Thai government. After all, you are all experts on the subject and assume there are no competent local engineers. I'm sure they would love to hear your expert input in regards to this matter.

Promote CM? LOL, the burning season starts next week!!! October to July bah.gif . Better to sit the floods out laugh.png

They can do that in Pai. My buddy tells me the smog was worse in Chiang Mai this year. People of Bangkok visit the beautiful flood free Pai scenic country and that old time commune feeling.

No flood in Chiang Mai this year but we have them occasional. Run to Pai lots of beautiful sites to build your own home on.

• Like 2

Mr Sanya said the BMA has prepared five million sandbags to prevent overflowing water and floods in areas where construction of embankments is not yet finished. The remaining section is about 85 metres long

Come on only 85 meters left ? Cant this be done in one or 2 day's ?

Quite funny this. Last time, they had 85 or 850 or 8500 km of canals and waterways which overflowed. But, no, this time. If we just block this 85m, all will be ok? I really can't believe they appear to have been caught out in virtually the same way again.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful house up country? I've got one for sale....

If you have any property with a sail on it, you may make a better profit over the next few weeks....................rolleyes.gif

Well, there are houses on sale now in moobans up country that were bought during the last food as stop gaps.

If this goes under again, people might never go back.