Bangkok braces for floods as Chao Phraya River rises

webfact

A post bashing Thais has been removed along with a reply. A troll post has also been removed.

Please stay on topic.

In my opinion, (ALL posts bashing Thais on this or any other forum should be immediately removed and the members posting such negative rubbish must be dealt with accordingly!!)

Get a life guys! type something positive for a change instead of your rather BORING NEGATIVE INSULTING RUBBISH!

You are referring to Thailand, Its People and their Culture who do not deserve your negative type insults.........................its simple!!! If you are not happy there, get an air ticket and go back home where you were obviously exiled from!

Tenacious!!

• Like 2

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again.

And where did the hundreds of millions in flood prevention measures go? Someone's new house?

Unfortunately the B350 bn never got spend because the Dems blocked it every way they could in the hope for another flood to dent the governments support.

The flood wall is a myth. Drive up Rangsit Nakhon Nayok road and look at the wall. There are dozens if not hundreds of gaps allowing people access to the klong. As the water rose I watched as a team of about 20 men take two days to block one hole which was allowing water to flow into a low lying soi.

It leaks so much it requires a pump to stem the flow.

The wall will do nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

I'm not living in Thailand and not planning a holiday in the coming months, but I wish all affected BM's good luck this year.

However, I was on holiday in Pattaya in November 2011 and remember the problems with deliveries to the supermarkets because of the floods.

You should all take your precautions and stock up on preservable foods and drinking water. Especially the bottled drinking water was a problem in 2011.

• Like 2

The flood wall is a myth. Drive up Rangsit Nakhon Nayok road and look at the wall. There are dozens if not hundreds of gaps allowing people access to the klong. As the water rose I watched as a team of about 20 men take two days to block one hole which was allowing water to flow into a low lying soi.

I've been watching the progress of this 'wall' since it started.

A total joke, as well as seriously flawed construction methods using totally substandard products.

I'd really love to see the tender documents and subsequent contract details versus the resulting job.

• Like 1

A total joke, as well as seriously flawed construction methods using totally substandard products.

I'd really love to see the tender documents and subsequent contract details versus the resulting job.

Or see the variation order for 'miscellaneous additional costs'.

Or see the variation order for 'miscellaneous additional costs'.

Yes.

I don't think things will get as bad as 2011. There just isn't the runoff heading south from the northern region. Chiang Mai is dry at the moment. Reservoirs, rivers & canals are low. 2 years ago there was a hell of lot of water released at the same time as massive rains.

Mr Sanya said the BMA has prepared five million sandbags to prevent overflowing water and floods in areas where construction of embankments is not yet finished. The remaining section is about 85 metres long

Come on only 85 meters left ? Cant this be done in one or 2 day's ?

Quite funny this. Last time, they had 85 or 850 or 8500 km of canals and waterways which overflowed. But, no, this time. If we just block this 85m, all will be ok? I really can't believe they appear to have been caught out in virtually the same way again.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful house up country? I've got one for sale....

If you have any property with a sail on it, you may make a better profit over the next few weeks....................rolleyes.gif

`most won't flood' well yes the important folks and if you live 10 metres above sewer/sorry street level.

Not so much as were all in the same boat the klongmeisters will be in Yachts or planes while the wetbacks and low life get a free wash,I think It's called trickle down policy.

• Like 2

Got a good Thai friend who is a real estate agent. 6 months ago 30% of the houses he sold here in Chiang Mai were to Bangkokians. He told me yesterday that number has now increased to just over 50%.

He said the #1 answer he gets when he asks them why - Floods

Same thing in Buriram but include businesses. Great for the local job seekers.

the Irrigation Department released water from dams at 2,400 cubic metres per second

Well done, but why don't you release this water way way way way before the rainy season? Jeez!!! You could practically empty the things for irrigation as they will always, ALWAYS, refill, Thailand being tropical 'n all. The only reason parts of CM were flooded in 2011 was because of late release of high levels of water by an overzealous, trigger happy numpty on the sluice gates of Mae Ngat Dam. Sort yourselves out chaps.

• Like 1

anybody have any links to flood maps/maps showing movement of the water?

I don't have maps or a link, but I did just take a drive up to Nakhon Nayok and Khun Dan Dam this morning. The Dam is almost it's maximum capacity of 224 Million Cubic Metres of water.

A lot of the farm land in the immediate area and almost down to the 305 Highway, has been flooded intentionally by the look of it.

When driving home, I saw many emergency vehicles heading North East with boats loaded etc.

Khlong Rangsit is quite high in places, but totally clogged with water hyacinth.

I'll attach a couple of photos if my skills allow!

The first two photos were taken 27th July and the water was so low I thought could rain until November without problem.

The dam is 93 metres tall.

I hope this helps a little.

It amazes me that the Officials keep informing us of the level of the Bhumibol & Sirikit Dams when the problem Dams causing concern are much closer to BKK.attachicon.gifDSCN0352.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0355.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0378.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0379.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0381.JPG

Thanks for posting the images. That last photo looks like it could be a different view of the one I commented earlier. That one looks very much like a spillway that is gushing. The spillway is always set below the maximum height of the dam for obvious reasons.

602930_10200430720433143_1159927663_n.jp

Could be wrong, but it looks a lot like a spillway which is usually at the side of the dam.

Edited by klubex99

anybody have any links to flood maps/maps showing movement of the water?

I don't have maps or a link, but I did just take a drive up to Nakhon Nayok and Khun Dan Dam this morning. The Dam is almost it's maximum capacity of 224 Million Cubic Metres of water.

A lot of the farm land in the immediate area and almost down to the 305 Highway, has been flooded intentionally by the look of it.

When driving home, I saw many emergency vehicles heading North East with boats loaded etc.

Khlong Rangsit is quite high in places, but totally clogged with water hyacinth.

I'll attach a couple of photos if my skills allow!

The first two photos were taken 27th July and the water was so low I thought could rain until November without problem.

The dam is 93 metres tall.

I hope this helps a little.

It amazes me that the Officials keep informing us of the level of the Bhumibol & Sirikit Dams when the problem Dams causing concern are much closer to BKK.attachicon.gifDSCN0352.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0355.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0378.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0379.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0381.JPG

Thanks for posting the images. That last photo looks like it could be a different view of the one I commented earlier. That one looks very much like a spillway that is gushing. The spillway is always set below the maximum height of the dam for obvious reasons.

602930_10200430720433143_1159927663_n.jp

Could be wrong, but it looks a lot like a spillway which is usually at the side of the dam.

For sure, it is one of the two spillways. I posted the photo for information purposes only.

Please ... you Farang posters. Stop this silliness blaming the Thai government for floods. Every country has floods. Look at Colorado in the US; look at the yearly firestorms in California; look at New Orleans. As I recall. you can see floods in 1942 with rowboats at Victory Monument. Bangkok is built on a mud flat, a flood plain. It's mother nature, not the government.

Thank you...

It ain't a Mensa task to get ready for the seasonal floods.

Every Christmas I buy presents

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

If you check a timeline from 2011 it could be worse this time round. The rain seems much heavier and much more consistent. At this time in 2011 only 25 provinces were flooded, upto 27 this year already.

Very good point.

If my memory serves me right. BKK did not flood till Novenber in 2011.

We are 2 months prior to that time of year.... BKK got all the water from the north after all that flooded, but the rains ended there back in early October. and we are on the verge of the same scenario, with 2 big storms bearing down and potentially weeks of rain yet to come.

This could be a lot worse.

These are the words that the government should be coming out with.