A Decent Wok.

chiangrai

I have bought 2 woks in Thailand.

The first was the cheapest aluminum I could find because I was low on funds.

Needless to say that it didn't last long.

Next time I had a bit more money and bought the most expensive wok in Tesco.

Seagull brand,non stick,which is now sticking and burning.

Can any one recommend a gamble for my 3rd time lucky attempt.

At home we have frying pans and the best are made from cast iron.

Non stick have came and went.

So I don't know what shop to look in,what brand I'm looking for or what material

the wok should be made out of.

If I found something good I would also invest in a pot and a small frying pan.

Buying online would also help because I live in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks

Last year i looked for a smallish iron wok for home cooking (one with a wooden handle) . Could not find one anywhere - could find super large ones for restaurants and those horrible aluminium and teflon coated things and stainless steel but no iron woks. I did not go to Chinatown area in BKK tho which may have had them but i ended up bringing one from Sydney - a bit like taking coal to Newcastle !.

Best of luck with it .

The commonly available mild steel woks are ideal for Thai cooking and very inexpensive. No need to buy online as they are available everywhere. Your cast iron comment is important. You don't want something that heavy for a wok as it should heat and cool quickly and the heat should be concentrated in the lower/central portion of a vessel which, confusingly, is exactly what one does not want in western style cookware.

Season your wok much like you would your cast iron pans: thoroughly clean your new wok (scrub with steel wool) then add oil and season it over high heat. The goal is to build an even dark pattina with the oil that extends up the sides of the wok. This is going to be a smoky affair and is best done outside if possible. The non-stick properties will improve with use and the wok will continue to darken. Like cast iron, don't scrub it with anything hard or use dish soap as both will remove your nonstick coating. Use hot water and a dish cloth, sponge, or soft plastic brush (or the traditional bamboo one) to clean it and make sure it is completely dry before you put it away to avoid rust (I normally dry mine over low heat but paper towels do an acceptable job if you are thorough). A light layer of oil applied with a paper towel after drying the wok helps to keep everything in good condition and rust free.

• Like 1

O.k,

Thanks to all,looks like I might go for the cheap wok and learn how to season it.

How about the small frying pan and medium sized sauce pan.

I want something healthy.I've looked on YouTube and what most people recommend are

3 layered pans,top and bottom layers of stainless steel and the middle layer of aluminum.

I can't figure out if the stainless steel pans on the CENTRAL or HOMEPRO websites have a layer of aluminum in the middle or not.I might have to go in and get my missus to read the box but that's a long day out from where I live.Tesco is not too far.

Thanks Again

O.k,

Thanks to all,looks like I might go for the cheap wok and learn how to season it.

How about the small frying pan and medium sized sauce pan.

I want something healthy.I've looked on YouTube and what most people recommend are

3 layered pans,top and bottom layers of stainless steel and the middle layer of aluminum.

I can't figure out if the stainless steel pans on the CENTRAL or HOMEPRO websites have a layer of aluminum in the middle or not.I might have to go in and get my missus to read the box but that's a long day out from where I live.Tesco is not too far.

Thanks Again

It depends on what you intend to use the pan for and what surface you are cooking on. Copper conducts heat exceptionally well (needs to be lined for reactive foods with stainless steel or tin and re-tinned periodically) but will discolor glass tops and is expensive not to mention the polishing routine. Heavy solid aluminum is great and cheap so long as you avoid acidic foods and the ones I am familiar with come with removable silicone handle covers which are awesome. Enameled cast iron offers all the benefits of bare cast iron without the seasoning and care but heats slowly and retains heat (like cast iron) so you need to know how to use it plus can be expensive (think of the popular Le Creuset brand which I always felt should be heavier). Non-stick pans are great as dedicated egg skillets but need to be selected (and treated) with care and really should be used for little else (no metal utensils generally). Stainless steel clad pieces can be OK or very bad but are never particularly good though they are low maintenance, range from inexpensive to extortionate, and offer profitable endorsement deals for celebrity chefs. Clad with aluminum cores are of lower quality, copper is better.

As you said you already have a collection of cast iron, I would suggest a lined copper saucepan and a small skillet that fits it's purpose. I keep two small skillets: a non-stick for eggs (for one) and a cast iron skillet for cornbread and other occasional duties. To some degree it depends on what you consider small. If you want an honest-to-god frying pan (as in you intend to use it for pan frying) then cast iron is ideal but I don't think I would class one as small. No choice is necessarily bad, they are just better suited to different duties and each has a bit of a learning curve. Having said that, I personally dislike clad cookware (the layered pans you mention) and would choose anything else.