No major flooding in Bangkok: BMA

webfact

INUNDATION
No major flooding in capital: BMA

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM
THE NATION

30215660-03_big.jpg

Bangkok safe as rains will not coincide with high-tide period this year

BANGKOK: -- DESPITE HEAVY downpours over the past two weeks, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) still believes the capital should escape floods this rainy season.

"Run-offs and rain will not coincide with high tides this year," an official at the BMA Flood Prevention Centre said in a recent interview.

According to the centre, rainfall and run-offs are expected to peak in Bangkok late this month, while the high-tide period will begin next month.

"Hence, the current water situation is far less worrying than in 2011," the official said.

Two years ago, Bangkok was among the many provinces hit hard by floods.

Slightly better measures

The BMA says that though its flood-prevention systems remain pretty much the same, they have been improved to some extent. For instance, flood barriers along the Chao Phraya River are now up to 3 metres high, when two years ago they stood at 2.5m at the most.

The BMA has also said that it should be able to clear road surfaces within an hour if the rainfall does not exceed 60 millimetres per hour. The city administration remains confident even though nearby provinces such as Ayutthaya, Lop Buri and Prachin Buri are already inundated.

More than 8,000 families in Prachin Buri have been affected by flooding. In addition, up to 24 schools have sustained water damage, as have 23 roads and a bridge. One death has been reported so far.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department yesterday forecast higher rainfall in the lower Northeast region during the weekend.

"A strong high-pressure cell will reach the region during this period," it said.

Locals have been warned to be careful of downpour-related risks in Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Many provinces in the Northeast have been struggling lately. For instance, more than 353,300 people in Si Sa Ket have been adversely affected.

Pravej Nonthasee, acting chief of the Si Sa Ket Provincial Prison, said the correctional facility was surrounded by a metre of water. "We have had to form a 1.5-metre high sandbag wall around our facility, and as a precaution, we have also moved inmates from the ground floor to higher floors," he said.

In Ubon Ratchathani, the run-off from Det Udom district damaged a key bridge connecting the Na Yia district with the heart of the province. Officials have now closed the bridge to traffic.

According to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, floods have ravaged 27 provinces this month, though the situation in Kanchanaburi and Chumphon has already improved.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-26

Sure its hard to trust the government, however he makes some fair points about the high tides. I live in Bangyai so I worry however I seen some data that suggest it really is not as bad as last year. There were some data on flow rates of the river at point that have been flooded and they are no where near the same levels of 2011.

I still worry but it might just be that its not as bad as 2011. I had 20 cm of water in my house for 2 months. Now if it means that there is flooding but 30 cm less then I will be happy. Still its annoying however we had the same song and dance about flooding last year (this year its worse) and nothing happened. So without true data we won't know for sure but anyone that lived through it knew how slow it came so you usually can see it a week before or so. At least where we were.

One can only hope and react.

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing?

The one party has a bunch of clowns, that says "there is no flood" or "everything is under control", while people are wading through 1 meter depth of liquid feces. The other party has a bunch of clowns, who say "Bangkok will not be flooded in parts", meaning nothing else than "Bangkok will be flooded in parts"...and no one does anything about something that is a yearly occurance by now!

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing?

The one party has a bunch of clowns, that says "there is no flood" or "everything is under control", while people are wading through 1 meter depth of liquid feces. The other party has a bunch of clowns, who say "Bangkok will not be flooded in parts", meaning nothing else than "Bangkok will be flooded in parts"...and no one does anything about something that is a yearly occurance by now!

It would be so much nicer if they gave accurate data, I was lucky to find a bit of data on the flowrate in an other article. But just honest reporting would help a lot.

Other thing I don't understand there must be loads of satellites over Thailand or aereal photo's just post those on a day by day base and see how the floods progress that says a lot more and would help.

I went to the site with gista images but that was not really helpful there was no way to enlarge the images its as if its purposely done so you can't look there.

No major flooding in capital: BMA

So why should the clowns in charge give a **** about the rest of the country?

That is the governments duty not the Bangkok Metropolitan Area's responsibility.

You miss my point.

All the while there is no flooding in BKK, it bolsters PTP's claims that there is no problem, no flooding as such. They seem to only care about BKK and not the outer provinces. I know off topic but just saying. smile.png

Edited by lostmebike

I just love to live with a Damocles sword over the head .... usually when a government says Dont panic ..... you need to run fast . coffee1.gif but only those who have been affected by the floods in 2011 can understand.

I am just waiting till the tell "no hording".....than it is time to stock up.

• Like 1

Oh what a relief !

As long as Bangkok is safe there's no need to worry about the rising amount of provinces being affected, the nearly 2 million people, at last count, suffering and the tragic death toll.

Sorry, I shouldn't get carried away and be critical as I forgot it's all under control.

Nice to know, that there will be no rainstorms next month during the high tide. Where did these morons get that information from??

The reason of the importance not to let Bangkok flood, is not because of the people there, but because of all the values there. If the whole Bangkok was actually flooded, Thailand would simply go bankrupt, which no one in this country would benefit from. Just give me one good reason, why properties and installations in Bangkok worth Trillions and Trillions of Baht should be sacrified, just to keep the rice fields and the people living there dry? And hate against the Bangkokians is no good reason, as they are still the ones paying taxes and buying your rice and other products, which makes you able to support your families!

Edited by Xonax

Oh what a relief !

As long as Bangkok is safe there's no need to worry about the rising amount of provinces being affected, the nearly 2 million people, at last count, suffering and the tragic death toll.

Sorry, I shouldn't get carried away and be critical as I forgot it's all under control.

Nice to know, that there will be no rainstorms next month during the high tide. Where did these morons get that information from??

The reason of the importance not to let Bangkok flood, is not because of the people there, but because of all the values there. If the whole Bangkok was actually flooded, Thailand would simply go bankrupt, which no one in this country would benefit from. Just give me one good reason, why properties and installations in Bangkok worth Trillions and Trillions of Baht should be sacrified, just to keep the rice fields and the people living there dry? And hate against the Bangkokians is no good reason, as they are still the ones paying taxes and buying your rice and other products, which makes you able to support your families!

Just pure stupidness to be political, red, yellow or multicolered shirt, when what we need to do, is stand together and do what is best for Thailand as a whole country - also in the long run!!

• Like 1

Oh what a relief !

That was all going swimmingly until the tax paying bit. There are only 3mn income tax payers in the whole country, and believe me, they aren't all in Bangkok, so since the population is 6mn, it would appear that there are approximately 4.5mn non-income tax payers there. I pay my tax, I demand to be protected, is hardly a very moral way of looking at it.

• Like 1

I wonder what would happen if the people in the northern provinces all got together and collectively said: "We're tired of this S**T of having our field flooded, our home flooded and destroyed ever f***ing year just to keep precious BKK safe and dry!" and then, collectively, began their own construction of solidly built barriers in their individual provinces to force ever possible drop of water straight to BKK?

While I tend to agree with Xonax as to the financial aspects for keeping BKK dry, doing as I have posted above, just MIGHT them a real dose of reality that the provinces have to swallow ever year, and FINALLY get the government (any/all of them) to get off their collective a**es and actually do something about it.

• Like 2

Oh what a relief !

That was all going swimmingly until the tax paying bit. There are only 3mn income tax payers in the whole country, and believe me, they aren't all in Bangkok, so since the population is 6mn, it would appear that there are approximately 4.5mn non-income tax payers there. I pay my tax, I demand to be protected, is hardly a very moral way of looking at it.

Still if you pay tax and all of it gets stolen all the time the least you can ask if for protection of the foods. I am sure that Bangkok has the highest nr of income tax payers in the whole country. I mean the rice farmers only cost the country money. I have nothing against them but its a fact that the people paying for it all are mainly in BKK. Too bad they did not make it this way that only people paying income tax could vote or so.

• Like 1

Oh what a relief !

Still if you pay tax and all of it gets stolen all the time the least you can ask if for protection of the foods. I am sure that Bangkok has the highest nr of income tax payers in the whole country. I mean the rice farmers only cost the country money. I have nothing against them but its a fact that the people paying for it all are mainly in BKK. Too bad they did not make it this way that only people paying income tax could vote or so.

As I said, it was enough to say, that the town needs to be protected for myriad reasons. The tax paying one, isn't particularly relevant. However, creating an integrated plan where as much as possible of everything is protected would be a better plan. As for only tax payers getting a vote, well i am pretty sure, I paid a hell of a lot more than most, so does my vote count more? I think you will find that of the 60,000 top rate tax payers in the country, a big wedge are foreigners. Do they get a say. Your bias and lack of community feel for the country betrays you. Bangkokians are not inherently more valuable to this country than anyone else.

However, could you imagine, if it came to be, and i believe it will, that eventually, there will be massive tracts of the country banned from building, and other parts where it will be absolutely impossible to get hold of even car insurance, because the flood risk will be so large? It will then become apparent to all the amount of corruption and slap dash construction that has gone on here. There are literlly millions of rai of land North of Bangkok that should NEVER have been built on.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

The real problem I'm having here is the truth. Tell me where it's going to flood, when to evacuate, how or which way to get to higher ground and be safe. Tell me where I can get help from government agencies for a place to live and perhaps my next meal. Just give us some truth, it's all we're asking. But all we get is, "No Major Flooding in Bangkok"

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

Other thing I don't understand there must be loads of satellites over Thailand or aereal photo's just post those on a day by day base and see how the floods progress that says a lot more and would help.

I went to the site with gista images but that was not really helpful there was no way to enlarge the images its as if its purposely done so you can't look there.

Wonder if we've been looking at the same site? - If I go to http://flood.gistda.or.th/ and click the second tab ("Satellite map of flooded" in Google speech) I see a list of satellite maps which all can be enlarged - more than I'd actually like, but perhaps more useful to those familiar with the flooded areas.

You'll have to click the actual satelite images, though (and be patient until they're fully loaded). The leftmost image in each row is just a thumbnail to indicate which flooded area is covered by the satellite maps. There also are some icons to the right in each row - including one where you can download a KLM file with the data as to be opened in Google Earth whereby you can get even more detail than in the satelite images.

There truly aren't not much of interest in satelite maps for those focus'ed on Bangkok area only - due to the circumstance that there aren't any (severe) flooding there around yet to be photographed. However, their main (Google)floodmap is as good (or bad) as any and seems to be the more upto date than e.g. ESRI's floodmap (which is based on Gistda data).