Thai opinion: We DON'T NEED this massive debt

webfact

It is also irrefutable that huge social and economic losses have been incurred due to flawed planning, the sorry state of existing infrastructures, and lack of far-sighted initiatives.

. . . and the payoffs that get taken from every single business deal here . . .

• Like 1

Rambling and incoherent article that tries to link corruption with democracy. The unwritten subtext here is that if only they could get rid of elections and elected politicians everything would run more efficiently.

What democracy? How democratic is the process of vote buying and selling?

The link between corruption and power holders lies in vote buying and selling - Americans called it, "Government of the people, by the people". The kind of government one gets reflects the moral character of the majority.

Rambling and incoherent article that tries to link corruption with democracy. The unwritten subtext here is that if only they could get rid of elections and elected politicians everything would run more efficiently.

If you look at the present cabinet, you find few who have ever been elected by vote of the people. then look at the representation of the population, how many are actually elected by the people?

Many of the political parties were set up with a money grab in mind, via a coalition to form a government, following a indecisive election. The lack of real checks and/or balances, within the system, to control the open/acknowledged corruption and thievery, is being flaunted, as there has been no real day of reckoning, YET.

PTP. Government for the people by the people?

Or organised thievery?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Funny, I get the feeling the phrase is familiar...

... with a very similar outcome...

Just to be clear, no private investor on earth is going to be interested in an infrastructure fund for high speed trains in Thailand for the simple reason that the trains will be running at a big loss from day one. This of course unless the government is willing to bear the loss by guaranteeing the investors a minimum return on investment for a very long time.

Don't forget, unlike most citizens of Thailand, investors are capable of reading and understanding budgets (I believe no budget exists for the operation of the high speed trains), and they do not care at all if some Thai minister(s) are running around yelling what a great idea it is to invest in such a fund.

Edited by monkeycountry

Many good points in this article. I cant but help think, if a tree falls in a forest and nobody wants to hear it, does it make a sound.

Thailand is going to be a great place in the future for people who dont like change.

True it will be a great place for people who love to take train rides with a 50/50 chance at arriving at their destination. It will be a great place for people who want 30% of all their tax baht to go into the private pockets of politicians and bureaucrats. It will be a great place for people who want to see schools graduating people who are unable to reason or use logic much less add two plus two with out a calculator. These are the results that will come about if this bill is passed with out an intelligent plan that they must adhere to before they pass it.

As for the sex and drug trade they will change become more available. I don't think there will be much of an uproar over that.

First we need a high speed trains so that more of us can arrive at a 50/50 chance faster.

Than we need to develop a few nuclear power stations for the other 50% of population, who didn't arrive quickly enough by trains.

The 30% of taxes you are talking about - who measured this? You look like a young optimist to me...

Leave sex&drug trades alone - nobody forces anybody to use them.

I never give my opinion on these two issues as long as I don't have to be sympathetic to the victims at my expense.

Many good points in this article. I cant but help think, if a tree falls in a forest and nobody wants to hear it, does it make a sound.

Thailand is going to be a great place in the future for people who dont like change.

True it will be a great place for people who love to take train rides with a 50/50 chance at arriving at their destination. It will be a great place for people who want 30% of all their tax baht to go into the private pockets of politicians and bureaucrats. It will be a great place for people who want to see schools graduating people who are unable to reason or use logic much less add two plus two with out a calculator. These are the results that will come about if this bill is passed with out an intelligent plan that they must adhere to before they pass it.

As for the sex and drug trade they will change become more available. I don't think there will be much of an uproar over that.

Actually Thailand is a great place for all of the above with or without the loan bill / high speed trains smile.png

It is (almost) always easy for governments to throw away money from their taxpayers in order to be able to say, .."we did something".

Both the article and a number of comments seem to assume that the government will be able to raise the 2 trillion baht, which may or may not happen. If I recall correctly, a significant portion of the debt will have to come from lenders overseas, and with the Thai economy plunging as a result of other faulty government actions, will external lenders be willing to assume high risks? After all, debt is debt, regardless of whether it comes from building condos with inadequate collateral or repairing/creating infrastructure. Government projects and policies rarely, if ever, tell us the forecast impacts on all of the people. Fir example, how much inflation will the additional debt cause...i.e., how much higher will the prices of food and other products go? When prices increase because4 of higher taxes to repay the debt, how many people will lose their jobs? How many people will not get hired because of higher costs of production? Will these shortcomings be outweighed by the jobs created to do the projects? These points are aside from the questions about whether use of the high speed rail will justify the investment and debt incurred. Incumbent governments are rarely around when their projects go wrong. But all projects use scarce resources, and have impacts far beyond the objectives stated, The Thai people must start asking not merely what the benefits of such a project might be, but who will be harmed and to what extent.

• Like 2

It is (almost) always easy for governments to throw away money from their taxpayers in order to be able to say, .."we did something".

Both the article and a number of comments seem to assume that the government will be able to raise the 2 trillion baht, which may or may not happen. If I recall correctly, a significant portion of the debt will have to come from lenders overseas, and with the Thai economy plunging as a result of other faulty government actions, will external lenders be willing to assume high risks? After all, debt is debt, regardless of whether it comes from building condos with inadequate collateral or repairing/creating infrastructure. Government projects and policies rarely, if ever, tell us the forecast impacts on all of the people. Fir example, how much inflation will the additional debt cause...i.e., how much higher will the prices of food and other products go? When prices increase because4 of higher taxes to repay the debt, how many people will lose their jobs? How many people will not get hired because of higher costs of production? Will these shortcomings be outweighed by the jobs created to do the projects? These points are aside from the questions about whether use of the high speed rail will justify the investment and debt incurred. Incumbent governments are rarely around when their projects go wrong. But all projects use scarce resources, and have impacts far beyond the objectives stated, The Thai people must start asking not merely what the benefits of such a project might be, but who will be harmed and to what extent.

Oh yes, they will get it but we will pay the cost, higher risk equals higher cost, and we will pay and pay and pay.

I cannot believe that the population of this country can be so blind as to stand idly by and watch the total destruction of their country by these people who barely disguise their theft, it is a disgrace.

"The Thai people must start asking........" I would hazard a guess that most Thai People do not even know about the loan, let alone realize what the future consequences might be. That is what I find both despicable and exceptionally sad. If Buddha has any influence in the matter, these Politicians should come back as cockroaches or snakes, no, sorry that is an insult to those creatures. Thailand needs quality education, quality education, quality education and needs it NOW! But of course this is not even on the agenda for the present Government, at least not as any priority or serious way - why, because they know once the people are educated to a decent standard, all hell will break loose and they will witness "The Thai Spring". So, so sad.

• Like 1

Thought I read somewhere that the Govt had held meetings with local banks to explane to them why they should invest in the 2.2 trillion loan.

If this is true then they are looking to borrow the money from the Thai people, as they have done with the 350 billion, probably because they know no overseas investor would lend at a reasonable rate.

Unfortunately there is always someone overseas who is willing to lend money to almost any country, as long as the interest is high enough. And since it seems the PTP governments main goal is to skim the mandatory 30%+ from the loan, they are probably not too worried about the interest rate.

I suggest the PTP make a flyer to distribute to all Thais, in which they make it very clear that they intend to borrow appx. 35,000 baht on behalf of every Thai (from infant to old) and that unlike many loans, all Thais will eventually have to pay back this loan, with interest, one way or another!

Thought I read somewhere that the Govt had held meetings with local banks to explane to them why they should invest in the 2.2 trillion loan.

If this is true then they are looking to borrow the money from the Thai people, as they have done with the 350 billion, probably because they know no overseas investor would lend at a reasonable rate.

I don't recall the source, and cannot be sure it is accurate, but it quoted the government as saying that 60% of the borrowing would be domestic and 40% would be from overseas sources. This, of course, does not mean that the funds can be found. That the government talked to Thai bankers does not preclude also talking to foreign sources, and it does not necessarily mean that the Thai bankers will take the risk. This brings up the question of the rewards that the bankers can expect for taking the risk, and whether or not those "rewards" will be induced by coercion. . In a form of government that has elected representatives, the solution is to vote out the government and replace it with a government that has no intention of borrowing 2 trillion baht, but of course that has to be done before any commitments are made. .

The opinion of one person. It is rather badly headlined as "Thai Opinion". The Thai people as a whole can have their say at the next election. Simple. That is how democracy works.

The last bunch actually spent 1.4 trillion on giving people 1000 baht notes in their hands and there was hardly a quibble from all those moaning now. And yet the people voted them out clearly not trusting them to run the country in a way that actually helped the majority. The current opposition after being unceremoniously booted out in this way should learn the lesson and adapt and try to get elected instead of spending all their time throwing tantrums, chairs, insulting the rural poor and locking everything up in a myriad of court cases to prevent any policy being implemented. Thailand needs a viable electable alternative to the current government. Right now they lack one. The history of the initial rise of Thaksin shows it is possible to appeal to the majority and electorally come from virtually nowhere and defeat established parties. It just means finding common ground with the majority. The opposition would be well served by learning form their nemesis and modernising their own archaic regionally hampered party structure although admittedly getting the inbuilt southern executive control to agree to give up their power of controlling the party without consideration for others is going to be hard and beyond a lightweight like Abhisit.

• Like 2

I don't recall the source, and cannot be sure it is accurate, but it quoted the government as saying that 60% of the borrowing would be domestic and 40% would be from overseas sources. This, of course, does not mean that the funds can be found. That the government talked to Thai bankers does not preclude also talking to foreign sources, and it does not necessarily mean that the Thai bankers will take the risk. This brings up the question of the rewards that the bankers can expect for taking the risk, and whether or not those "rewards" will be induced by coercion. . In a form of government that has elected representatives, the solution is to vote out the government and replace it with a government that has no intention of borrowing 2 trillion baht, but of course that has to be done before any commitments are made. .

Much of it will be from government controlled banks such as KTB, so yes, they will definately take the "risk", since the borrower and the lender is the same. So will private banks, both foreign and domestic, since the country guarantees the payment. The only issue is the interest rate.