Forgot to renew my Ed visa since august and now have to pay 20k baht fine. Any advice?

I am here on an Ed visa and on august I forgot to go to immigration and get an extension for another 3 months. Today I went to immigration and I was told I had to pay a 20k baht for overstaying which is the maximum. Is there any way around this fine? This is so frustrating, I have an ED visa for 1 yr and why do they ask me to renew every 3 months? In july I had gone to Europe and I got the permit to leave and I thought that when I return I would get the extension instead of having to go to immigration.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by AlexDorneles

You owe overstay at max fine amount of 20,000 baht and yes it needs to be paid. You appear to have had a single entry ED visa and have extended for 90 days - you obtained a re-entry permit that would only allow stay up to that 90 day date - but you continued to stay here on overstay rather than getting a new extension of stay when it was due. An ED visa only allows a 90 day stay even if it were a multi entry valid for one year of such stays.

While on overstay you are subject to arrest at any time and would likely be deported after trail. So not a good option at all. You would also be in violation of 90 day reporting at 5,000 max fine and 200 baht per day if they want to charge as it appears you have been informed of your illegal status.