Obamacare is a big score for American expats

farang000999

Starting next year in the states anyone can get insurance regardless of pre-existing health conditions or age. A health plan for a 60 year old costs like 20% more than one for a 25 year old. Now like their European counterparts, Americans can jump on a plane and go home and let the tax payers pay for any costly procedures. The kicker is that living in Thailand you won't even have to pay the penalties of not having insurance before you catch the flight home! A situation where you are essentially without any risk/cost and all benefit.... Unless I am understanding it incorrectly.

Edited by farang000999

I think you will find that even with the ACA, a US policy still costs more than a policy taken out locally. And the "jump on a plane" scenario assumes that you are well enough to manage a flight of 17 hours or more....which in situations where health insurance matters most, is usually not the case.

For someone who is (1) not yet eligible for Medicare, (2) has pre-existing conditions that disqualify them from getting coverage locally but (3) does not qualify for disability then yes, getting a US policy under the ACA is probably a good idea, but you'll still need to self-insure for at least enough to cover an emergency medi-evac + initial stabilization here in LOS.

• Like 1

According to this there will be limited new enrollment periods for those not insured but then needing insurance later. Not clear on how limited these periods will be. Annually seems logical based on my experience with that kind of thing.

So the getting on the plane thing, probably not so easy.

Yes in general the preexisting condition change is a major benefit.

Edited by Jingthing