mosquito spray for 11 month old?

irishken

Cook some lemongrass leaves in water and put that on the body and surounding, its pure nature and mosquitos dont like it, you can even drink it

Cook some lemongrass leaves in water and put that on the body and surounding, its pure nature and mosquitos dont like it, you can even drink it,

lemongrass you can get easy in Thailand.

Edited by wimpey1946
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the mosquitoes, unless you are planning a trip out into the sticks. My son is 14 months old now and has never used any type of mosquito repellent. In the evenings wear suitable clothing and a fan works well to keep the mossies away. At night make sure your little one sleeps in a mosquito net. I think it's difficult to use repellent on young children because they're always putting their hands in their mouth. A bite has got to be better than a mouth full of deet.

I don't agree with your comments. Dengue is running rampant in Chiang Mai CITY and many other provinces. Dengue lives where people live due to the number if still water places for them to breed. Out in the sticks there are lots of mozzies but it's not as dangerous as some cities are. Light coloured clothing is also a good idea. I have friends with dengue and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I'd be more worried about how you are going to transport your child than Dengue Fever. Taxis, buses or mini vans with no child seats would be my main concern.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mosquitoes, unless you are planning a trip out into the sticks. My son is 14 months old now and has never used any type of mosquito repellent. In the evenings wear suitable clothing and a fan works well to keep the mossies away. At night make sure your little one sleeps in a mosquito net. I think it's difficult to use repellent on young children because they're always putting their hands in their mouth. A bite has got to be better than a mouth full of deet.

I don't agree with your comments. Dengue is running rampant in Chiang Mai CITY and many other provinces. Dengue lives where people live due to the number if still water places for them to breed. Out in the sticks there are lots of mozzies but it's not as dangerous as some cities are. Light coloured clothing is also a good idea. I have friends with dengue and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I'd be more worried about how you are going to transport your child than Dengue Fever. Taxis, buses or mini vans with no child seats would be my main concern.

I will of course be bringing a car seat that clicks into the pram ill be bringing. I wouldn't think about travelling without one. Sure a taxi would not even drop me to the airport in Dublin without one

• Like 1

My too sense... IMO I'd as a parent and an informed adult stay away from any synthetic chemicals like "DEET" which is most repellants. DEET (N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the most common active ingredient in insect repellents. One-third of all Americans use this repellant, which has been shown to be toxic to the central nervous system. Natural insect repellant solutions exist; otherwise, candles with eucalyptus oil or citronella oil in the area will do the trick.

I suggest a more organic approach like peppermint oil. Also as another poster had mentioned, unless you intend to be in the sticks you have little need to be alarmed by the travel rumors/precautions you may have heard. But kudos to you for being a concerned parent and reaching out.

Enjoy your trip!

You do need to take precautions everywhere. Dengue is not restricted to the sticks, and it is thoroughly irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Totally agree, dengue is endemic to SE Asia, and I include Northern Australia in that geographic area. It is prevalent in the larger cities in Northern Australia like Townsville,Cairns and Darwin simply because they have a concentrated area of human habitation and consequently a higher level of areas to breed. The dengue fever vector..Aedes Egyptae lives around humans in areas of stagnant water. Even the water that accumulates in the saucer under a pot plant is very attractive to this particular mozzie. I imagine a big city like Bangkok would be a mossies paradise.

• Like 1

My too sense... IMO I'd as a parent and an informed adult stay away from any synthetic chemicals like "DEET" which is most repellants. DEET (N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the most common active ingredient in insect repellents. One-third of all Americans use this repellant, which has been shown to be toxic to the central nervous system. Natural insect repellant solutions exist; otherwise, candles with eucalyptus oil or citronella oil in the area will do the trick.

I suggest a more organic approach like peppermint oil. Also as another poster had mentioned, unless you intend to be in the sticks you have little need to be alarmed by the travel rumors/precautions you may have heard. But kudos to you for being a concerned parent and reaching out.

Enjoy your trip!

You do need to take precautions everywhere. Dengue is not restricted to the sticks, and it is thoroughly irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Totally agree, dengue is endemic to SE Asia, and I include Northern Australia in that geographic area. It is prevalent in the larger cities in Northern Australia like Townsville,Cairns and Darwin simply because they have a concentrated area of human habitation and consequently a higher level of areas to breed. The dengue fever vector..Aedes Egyptae lives around humans in areas of stagnant water. Even the water that accumulates in the saucer under a pot plant is very attractive to this particular mozzie. I imagine a big city like Bangkok would be a mossies paradise.

Slightly off topic I digressed.

After raising two kids in Northern Australia many years ago we used to spray DEET base repellent on our hands and rub it onto the kid (toddlers) - and they survive, and they do the same to my grandkids. I will qualify this though in that when they were very little (babies) we kept them inside during the high mozzie period.

But when you stop and think about it the babies sleep a lot so it wasn't hard to keep them indoors in bed anyway. By the time they are running around - as said before - spray the repellent on to my hands and wipe the kids down.

Don't forget that a lot of what we read these days is Greenie/hippie inspired (arguably) hysteria.

I remember Mum (in the UK) rubbing pure DDT onto a mozzie bite when I was young to take the sting away.

Of course since then somebody discovered that DDT was alleged to have cause the softening of an egg shell of some obscure bird somewhere and was subsequently banned.

In the process it condemned generations of Africans to suffer and die of malaria although I read recently it was going to be reintroduced to end this human atrocity

Ummmm. So much advice given already!

How confusing life can be with children and this sort of thing.

So I will add my comments anyway although I guess I will get shouted down at some point.

Ok im not a doctor and I avoid wikipedia for advice all the time. But here is my advice to you. Btw I have 3 daughters. Yes poor or lucky old me depending on your thoughts.....

One thing for sure mosquito is attracted by taste thats been tried and tested many times.

Secondly mosquito is more attracted to sweaty tasting skin more than clean skin. Again fact.

So down to your baby. A babies skin is more often or not more senitive than in a more mature child or even an adults, I dont need to tell you this I think.

My point is what is good product on baby A may result in reaction on baby B. So I think one has to be careful following general advice.

So down to basics. Try where possible keep baby cool at all times. Do not wrap and cause unnecessary sweating. Keep skin clean clean, maybe try quite a strong smelling/tasting soap as you can, but monitor babies skin dryness and other reactions.

Keep babys butt well creamed up at night that will keep them out of that area for sure. Just think taste.

Finally one thing I found to help after the little buggers do bite is surgical alcohol the blue stuff.

If you see a bite then cleanse the area with alcohol and disinfect the bite. I find if you catch the bite within the first 20/30 mins the body will not react to the bite so no itchy and no red blotch.

It works I promise you that part. Can use any alcohol you want really even perfume.

As with all things with babies try and if you see any reaction then stop using.

If alcohol is used to releave the reaction to the bite then maybe an idea to re hydrate area with cream afterwards.

Try yourself first if you want?? It does work.

General rule of thumb make the skin taste like <deleted> and most of the time it will be no bites.

Right im going to hide now before I get shouted down.

Btw simple "JJ" baby lotions is what we would cover our kids with everytime we went out. Next day they were fine and I would be scratch scrach scratch.

• Like 1

Chemist has just been in touch. He has jungle formula lotion which he says can be used from 6 month. 15 euro (600) baht. Seems a bit pricey since its only 5 GBP on Amazon.

Is this available in Thailand?

Forgot to answer your question.

Yes you can find but need to be in tourist area for sure. The range here of western and ozy/nz products is very limited in general. You dont mention what size it is at €15??? But in general the good products are exspensive for sure.

I buy boots repel here. Im a brit so familiar with boots. I buy the grey colour one "Not" the yellow.

Grey contains alcohol yellow not. See my previous post.

Grey is good for prevention and after bite. But a small bottle is around 400 thb here and about £8 in uk.

But I would not use this product direct on a baby, it is strong and melts plastic even. But its affective.

My point is the price sounds about right from 400thb to around 800 thb.

• Like 1

Just for all again...

Im not a doctor or nurse

I have no degree or training

I hate wikipedia

Im just a guy that mosquito like to bite and contracted dengue in india a few years ago and also know someone (yes a real person) who had malaria and only one person after 20 years of travel.

And guess what the symptoms didnt follow wiki at all.........

Chemist has just been in touch. He has jungle formula lotion which he says can be used from 6 month. 15 euro (600) baht. Seems a bit pricey since its only 5 GBP on Amazon.

Is this available in Thailand?

Forgot to answer your question.

Yes you can find but need to be in tourist area for sure. The range here of western and ozy/nz products is very limited in general. You dont mention what size it is at €15??? But in general the good products are exspensive for sure.

I buy boots repel here. Im a brit so familiar with boots. I buy the grey colour one "Not" the yellow.

Grey contains alcohol yellow not. See my previous post.

Grey is good for prevention and after bite. But a small bottle is around 400 thb here and about £8 in uk.

But I would not use this product direct on a baby, it is strong and melts plastic even. But its affective.

My point is the price sounds about right from 400thb to around 800 thb.

Thanks for your answer. Ill probably just grab it here so but i will check out other recommendations i have received from TV members.

There will be more holidays so i'm sure it will all be used

Only you know your baby. But please come and enjoy your vaction and try not let this way to heavy on your mind.

Remember these 2 nasty things Dengue and malaria are both very serious things depending on the strain of the infection. But also they are both reportable diseases. If hospitals admit for this they they have to report it and the figures.

So just sometimes these report can send the wrong messages and dont truely relect the situation.

Be caucus and sensible but also enjoy with your family.

• Like 1

I haven't been bit for the past several months. But I live on the 28th floor with the aircon on when home. When we go visit the Mother-In-Law we always use mosquito bed netting strung up over the bed for sleeping.