mosquito spray for 11 month old?

irishken

Is there a mosquito spray for a child that young. We have our first trip with our daughter coming up and i haven't been successful in finding a spray yet although i am waiting to hear back from my local chemist.

Is there one available in Thailand.

Also any advice on how to deal with mosquito's if they bite her is appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by irishken

Chemist here - most repellants are safe for your toddler at 11 months, the trick is to apply the lotion or repellant on your hands and then apply to the your baby. There are lotions and sprays available here are in sachet or spray, you may want to mix with a little lotion of your own - non perfumed of course.

Daytime Mosquitos are the ones that carry dengue so it's not dawn and dusk only.

If your baby has been bitten, I suggest a poultice - equal parts brown sugar and liquid soap - apply liberally on the bite area. The other option is bicarbonate of soda and tree tea oil but I would go with the first.

PM me if you have any questions - enjoy your trip.

Attached is the spray and lotion available everywhere with 12% DEET

post-183262-0-88095300-1380212403_thumb.

Edited by ToddWeston
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the mosquitoes, unless you are planning a trip out into the sticks. My son is 14 months old now and has never used any type of mosquito repellent. In the evenings wear suitable clothing and a fan works well to keep the mossies away. At night make sure your little one sleeps in a mosquito net. I think it's difficult to use repellent on young children because they're always putting their hands in their mouth. A bite has got to be better than a mouth full of deet.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the mosquitoes, unless you are planning a trip out into the sticks. My son is 14 months old now and has never used any type of mosquito repellent. In the evenings wear suitable clothing and a fan works well to keep the mossies away. At night make sure your little one sleeps in a mosquito net. I think it's difficult to use repellent on young children because they're always putting their hands in their mouth. A bite has got to be better than a mouth full of deet.

I agree with the net (buy at tesco here) and being covered, however some children who have never been biten by a mossie can have a severe reaction. I would be on the side of caution and perhaps baby mitts so the little one isn't eating deet if that's a concern. Mossie coils and the battery operated bug zappers are available everywhere. Even in Bangkok in the area I'm in it's a nightly occurrence to get the little buggers with it being rainy season and all the canals.

irishken,

Treat your child exactly as you would yourself. DO NOT listen to any horror stories people on here will give you.

My personal preference is Jungle Formula Roll On which you will get in the UK and since using that I have never had a problem. The wife reckons you can also get a kiddie version of that but I couldn't confirm that.

However, once you get your backside over here, you will be able to get kiddie repellent in any chemists or Tesco's. (Yes I did say Tesco's...)

Don't be worrying about it mate. It's no biggie.

• Like 1

I have to say every product which has more than 15% DEET might be of harm to children under 3 years of age. We have a son of 2 years old and indeed mosquitos and the dangers of Denque should be taken seriosly and NOT ignored.

We use a talk powder solution which is sold also at Tesco Lotus's pharmacy department as swown on the picture added.

Off course everyone could use what they want but strongly suggest not to overdo on the DEET percentage.

Secondly a mosquito net is always recommended for children or at least an area with a electric fan.post-178226-13802495082657_thumb.jpg

Warm regards,

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

http://www.handmade-chiangmai.com/craft_sectors/soaps_and_oils/arun_thai_natural/100__natural_insect_repellent_with_anti-malarial_neem_oil This stuff is great and all natural. Made locally in Chiang Mai Please do not put mitten on your babies, it seriously interrupts brain development at such a crucial time. Other countries learned this decades ago.

http://arunthainatural.com/body-care-products-c-3/100-natural-insect-repellent-spray-with-antimalarial-neem-oil-p-47.html

u can buy Citronella based mosquito repellents in your home country or here

u can buy it here in Tops supermarket

its a 120ml clear plastic bottle with a green label.....Citronella Oil Mosquito Repellent Spray

make sure the babies arms and legs are covered with clothing especially after 5pm

Citronella oil is popular as a 'natural' insect repellent. Its mosquito repellent qualities have been verified by research,[14] including effectiveness in repelling Aedes aegypti (dengue fever mosquito).[15][16] To be continually effective most citronella repellent formulas need to be reapplied to the skin every 30-60 minutes.[17]

Research also indicates that citronella oil is an effective repellent for body louse, head louse and stable flies.[13][18][19]

The US Environmental Protection Agency states that citronella oil has little or no toxicity when used as a topical insect repellent, with no reports of adverse effects of concern over a 60 year period.[20] Because some products are applied to human skin, EPA requires proper precautionary labeling to help assure safe use. If used according to label instructions in the US, citronella is not expected to pose health risks to people, including children and other sensitive populations.[2] The US Food & Drug Administration consider citronella oil as generally recognized as safe (GRAS).

Edited by HughJass

Right! Do not use any chemical repellent on a baby!....

You can use cosmetic quality coconut oil you can buy in malls supermarkets...safe and very effective..for children and adults...

I had problems with mosquito for long time...nothing works. After a vacation in Hua Hin (coconut land) and by locals advise, I am using now coconut oil (purified cosmetic quality) used also for massages....If you do not mind the light coconut aroma...your baby will be safe and happy...and you and your wife with a nicer skin.....and more..after a nice massage. Look in supermarkets and pharmacies inside malls like Central Plaza, Big C, etc....

Hi All,

I have had two pals go down with Dengue, one in front of me in Bali (he went white and slid under the table and we called an ambulance) and my pal in Phuket and it took him down for 13 days.

I now have the only real way to go, recommednded by the Singapore Govt etc

Biogents mosquito traps use a patented combination of visual signals, artificial air and a patented 3-component imitator called Biogents Sweetscent human scent that mimics the skin

This combination of features has been developed especially for the Tiger mosquito (or Dengue fever mosquito) at the University of Regensburg in Germany. Its effectiveness has been tested and approved by scientific and professional organizations of mosquito control in different parts of the world.

If you do a search "Biogents Phuket" you will find them.

I have one at the front patio of our unit and each few days we empty out hundreds of

dead mosquitoes. One time my pal counted, we had 96 total, 5 were Dengue ones (he can tell somehow) and two Tiger ones (I had never herad of), if I had a baby in mosquito season, I would probably put one of these in the babies room or outside the room door.

From memory they are about 6,000bht.

Good luck.

IE

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct in wanting to protect baby. Best policy is to not get bitten in the first place. My house is mozzy proof (screens on all windows and doors) for that very reason. Dengue is rife all over Thailand and is close to epidemic proportions in some places. For a baby the infection can be very very serious!

Read up on it here:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue/info/mosquito.asp. This is the same mosquito that lives with us here in Thailand.

On my 7 month old baby I use Citonella Oil based SKETOLENE available from 7/11 here in any town location. It is very effective, I have used it in Africa and S Asia.

It comes in a white plastic spray bottle with a green label about 4 inches in height.

IGNORE posters above who advocate using DEET on a baby, they have no idea what they are talking about. And in all my years of dealing with malaria elsewhere I have never heard of using coconut oil..... So I am really not too sure about that for baby.

Edited by iancnx

Chemist here - most repellants are safe for your toddler at 11 months, the trick is to apply the lotion or repellant on your hands and then apply to the your baby. There are lotions and sprays available here are in sachet or spray, you may want to mix with a little lotion of your own - non perfumed of course.

Daytime Mosquitos are the ones that carry dengue so it's not dawn and dusk only.

If your baby has been bitten, I suggest a poultice - equal parts brown sugar and liquid soap - apply liberally on the bite area. The other option is bicarbonate of soda and tree tea oil but I would go with the first.

Yes this Mosquito repellent is good especially the sachet with the wipes. After a bite I have found that white vinegar is good to alleviate the itch.

Yes this Mosquito repellent is good especially the sachet with the wipes. After a bite I have found that white vinegar is good to alleviate the itch.

DEET is not appropriate for a baby!

You are absolutely correct in wanting to protect baby. Best policy is to not get bitten in the first place. My house is mozzy proof (screens on all windows and doors) for that very reason. Dengue is rife all over Thailand and is close to epidemic proportions in some places. For a baby the infection can be very very serious!

Read up on it here:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue/info/mosquito.asp. This is the same mosquito that lives with us here in Thailand.

On my 7 month old baby I use Citonella Oil based SKETOLENE available from 7/11 here in any town location. It is very effective, I have used it in Africa and S Asia.

It comes in a white plastic spray bottle with a green label about 4 inches in height.

IGNORE posters above who advocate using DEET on a baby, they have no idea what they are talking about. And in all my years of dealing with malaria elsewhere I have never heard of using coconut oil..... So I am really not too sure about that for baby.

Deet has been ok'd for babies, 10% to 25% but not on the skin only applied to their clothing.

This is a quote on repellants:

Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also known as P-menthane diol, or PMD, for short. PMD is a plant-based repellent that gives protection time similar to low concentrations of DEET products. It is not recommended for kids under 3 years old.

Total irresponsible nonsense in my humble opinion!

Read up on it here:

Deet has been ok'd for babies, 10% to 25% but not on the skin only applied to their clothing.

This is a quote on repellants:

Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also known as P-menthane diol, or PMD, for short. PMD is a plant-based repellent that gives protection time similar to low concentrations of DEET products. It is not recommended for kids under 3 years old.

Quote from where? Source please if you can find it? Thanks.

My too sense... IMO I'd as a parent and an informed adult stay away from any synthetic chemicals like "DEET" which is most repellants. DEET (N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the most common active ingredient in insect repellents. One-third of all Americans use this repellant, which has been shown to be toxic to the central nervous system. Natural insect repellant solutions exist; otherwise, candles with eucalyptus oil or citronella oil in the area will do the trick.

I suggest a more organic approach like peppermint oil. Also as another poster had mentioned, unless you intend to be in the sticks you have little need to be alarmed by the travel rumors/precautions you may have heard. But kudos to you for being a concerned parent and reaching out.

Enjoy your trip!

Best advice ever, I carry the packets and use on myself as well, the Soffell packets are easy to pack, and are used throughout SE Asia..........safe for using on face and on head, drys right up and Mosey's don't like.........used this in Cambodia, Vietnam, Indinesia and East Timor.thumbsup.gif

If it's still available, Avon makes (made) a lotion called "Skin So Soft" that, when mixed with water can be used as a very affective mosquitoe repellant and is non-toxic.

Soffell packets are the same thing, but also include 12% Deet - no Deet, SE Asian Mossies will bite, 24 hrs a day...........

You can most certainly use the natural mosquito and anti-bug repellents/treatments available from the Thai pharmacies. They are mainly based on citronella; some also includes peppermint and eucalyptus. The comes both as sprays and gel, the gel often includes paraffin wax, beeswax and other natural components, for example a bit of camphor (same as in Tiger Balm) to relive pain from bites.

post-122720-0-78320200-1380268356_thumb.

If it's still available, Avon makes (made) a lotion called "Skin So Soft" that, when mixed with water can be used as a very affective mosquitoe repellant and is non-toxic.

Soffell packets are the same thing, but also include 12% Deet - no Deet, SE Asian Mossies will bite, 24 hrs a day...........

This is totally incorrect information. DEET is good for many situation, but the advice was for information on repellent suitable for an 11 month old baby.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Really appreciated.

I will be in Mukdahan, Samui and BKK.

The house in Mukdahan is new but has lots of ways for the mosquito's to get in. My daughter is teething now and puts anything in her mouth so that is why i am worried about a strong deet.

I have asked advice here as i don't really trust the chemists in Thailand as you know most of them are not real pharmasits and they hand out antibiotics for just about anything. There are some goods ones for sure.

I've seen this johnsons baby lotion which say's its for mosquito's, looks like its from Thailand looking at the bottle.

Anyone seen this around. Hopefully i can get something before i leave Ireland.

Again thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Clear-Lotion-Anti-Mosquito-repellent/dp/B008C7B0PM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380268603&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=wipes+mosquito+children