One of the Choeng Mon beach roads become private property

depi

Hi there,

I've been out of the island for 2 months. Today me and my gf took our usual way to the Choeng Mon beach - between Family Mart and Massage and what we see - that area become a private property.

We just want to swim before sunset and we see motorbikes inside so we ignore it. The surprise waited us on our way back. The gate was locked.

However we've not been alone - also local thai people follow us, then one of them call a worker from a nearby restaurant and together they opened the gate from the side and closed it back.

I not have my camera with me, so I cannot take a picture, but it is sad. Now I know there is way going through the Hotel Sala from the left side of the beach or then I remember there was a road on the right side too. This one was a good spot on the middle of the beach.

Sad, but money rules.

At least it still beats some Red Sea spots where beach access is for cash only...

Hopefully Sala won't get it into their heads to stop non-guests passing through.

The road through Sala Samui is a public road, so you can use it. Another access is if you drive behind Boathouse, turn left and end up at Kirati Resort/Samui Honey Seafood.

• Like 2

At least it still beats some Red Sea spots where beach access is for cash only...

Hopefully Sala won't get it into their heads to stop non-guests passing through.

The road through Sala Samui is a public road, so you can use it. Another access is if you drive behind Boathouse, turn left and end up at Kirati Resort/Samui Honey Seafood.

What people don't understand is you might have been driving on what you think is public road then in 10 or 20 years find out that it was only used to pass to the beach. Now the land owner has ever right to close the access if it's not registered at the government office as have been given as a road. It doesn't matter how long the public have used the road if not correctly registered it can be closed.

Is the OP referring to the road into Choeng Mon Beach Resort, formally Choeng mon bungalows? There is a barrier there but i've never known them to close it!

It must be that road and it is not like it suddenly has become a private road - it has always been their land.

The problem is not the usage of the road in itself but the fact that if you ride that road then you ride on something that has to be parked somewhere which most likely is also private property (unless you bring your vehicle all the way down to the beach).

There are alternatives, one of them being to park your vehicle on the main road and walk the last bit..

Is it maybe so for you that laziness rules?

Edited by lom

Laziness? Do you have children?

Sorry, that line wasn't for you but for the OP who think the closure is because "money rules", I missed to quote him.

But, since you ask, yes I have children (though grown up now) and I never had any problem walking them a couple of hundred meters.

One must have some understanding that hotel and resort owners are not very happy about outsiders filling up the parking space reserved for their customers. Most of them doesn't mind you walking through their premises.

yes luckily the hotels lut us walk through or there would bit little to no access.

one sport in lamai where people used to launch their boats blocked the access becuase of new people buying the access point to the beach.

used to love taking my ba haa out there