Charity groups estimate that 200 to 300 foreigners living on the streets in Thailand

webfact

Living on the streets of Bangkok
Juarawee Kittisilpa
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- IMAGINE LIVING on your own in a foreign country. Now imagine having to live on the streets in a foreign country where people speak a completely different language.

As Thais, we often view foreigners as better off, which is why it comes as a huge shock when we see them living rough.

Chris, 52, could not imagine himself as homeless. Talking to him, one realises that this Brit is no ordinary backpacker. He can talk about global finances and the banking system like it comes naturally.

Yet when you ask him about his situation, he bluntly replies: "No money." But he is calm and his clothes are clean.

Chris first came to Thailand on a freelance contract as a financial consultant. He was promised two big payments, but the final one never arrived. When his money ran out, he realised he was in trouble.

Since the 2011 floods, he has been living on a bench and relying on the generosity of commuters to keep alive.

"It's funny. When I had a room, I was getting some money to pay for a room but wasn't eating for four or five days," he said. "Now that I've been living on the streets, I always have food in my hand."

Charity groups estimate that there are some 200 to 300 foreigners living on the streets in Thailand, most of them in large cities such as Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

"Of every 10 homeless foreigners, five will say they have been cheated by their Thai wives or families, three would put it down to business partners, while the rest would offer other reasons," said Natee Saraval, secretary-general of the Issarachon Foundation.

The government, so far, has no policies to handle the growing number of homeless foreigners, let alone offer any concrete solutions. Natee said government-related agencies ought to coordinate with ministries and embassies at least to acknowledge the issue and work out some immediate steps.

However, things are different for Chris, who blames himself for what has happened.

"If I had done what the employers wanted, I would still be on commission. But I might not be sleeping at night, because I've got a conscience," he said.

Though in the end, Chris said, living on the streets has taught him to value life. Plus, he said, he still has something to look forward to.

"In three years' time, if I'm not blacklisted, I'll be back. But I'll have money. My pension fund is worth 200,000 pounds - that's a million baht!"

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-28

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a strange story..... Sounds like your typical Euro freeloader. Whats he going to do ? Come back to Thailand with 10 million baht.?

I'd give him 3 years in Thailand and all his 10 million baht will have gone on Issan wives ,cheap suits , useless name cards and stupid business ideas.

He's way out of his depth here.

Well said. He might as well bring Paul Daniels back with him. Its VANISHED....

Juarawee Kittisilpa is presumably writing about "Farang" or White Westerners of European descent. There are a lot more than 200-300 "foreigners" living on the streets in Thailand if Burmese, Cambodians and so on are included. Moreover, 200,000 pounds is around 10 million Baht.

The standards of reporting at The Nation are so amateurish that it has become a complete joke.

I agree with regard to The Nation. However it, in common with all old-style print news media worldwide, is caught in the trap of a catastrophic drop in readership and hence advertising revenue. Simply put, they cannot afford native speakers to write their stories, nor it seems professional Thai journalists that are able to think a story through. Even English native subs to copy read and edit before going to press seems beyond their means these days. Who would buy a newspaper that publishes such poorly-written, half-baked articles? It's a vicious spiral leading towards eventual oblivion, I suspect.

Juarawee Kittisilpa is presumably writing about "Farang" or White Westerners of European descent. There are a lot more than 200-300 "foreigners" living on the streets in Thailand if Burmese, Cambodians and so on are included. Moreover, 200,000 pounds is around 10 million Baht.

The standards of reporting at The Nation are so amateurish that it has become a complete joke.

This down and out "financial expert" was the one cited as saying GBP 200,000 pounds was worth a million Baht.

I wonder how many other British "financial experts" are homeless on Thai streets after being fired from jobs scamming other expats.

• Like 1

It's always sad when someone ends up homeless through circumstances beyond their control.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for more then 8 years now and I have never seen a homeless farang here.. so I'm not convinced this story is accurate at all.

Been in CM for 11 years myself, I can think of at least 3 that I know to say hello to. They do exist.

Actually there are laws already in place to deal with this problem. With no valid visa they are here illegally so why don't the BIB round them up and deport them ? Ok so I can hear you all saying they would be held indefinately because of no money to buy plane tickets but surely they could pressure individual Goverments to pay once they had enough of their Nationals in jail.

I also find it hard to believe that people can be stupid enough to find themselves in this situation in the first place.. when its time to go home its time..Thai family troubles been there done that but always made sure I had my airfare covered . Thats the travellers 1st and only rule!

• Like 2

Why is the immigration not rounding up these over stayers? They are competing against the homeless Thai's who have no choice to be where they are. As a retired cop, i helped many a homeless, and got to know the different types these outcasts are. Some were straight up, some mental, some just were made for the streets freedoms and restrictions. I have a few friends that came back into society and have done surprisingly well. They too look upon the uprooted without contempt.

And there are no stereotypes to associate with being homeless or on the verge.

• Like 2

I'd rather live on the streets here than in London.

The weather for starters. Water, 1 baht per litre. General natural resources far more accessible.

No soup kitchens though!! :-)

Weather, yes I would go along with that but probably not any other advantages. Certainly not water as its free in the Uk, just go to any public toilet, petrol station forecourt or micky D's.

Dear K'Juarawee, your topic is misinterpretation. Farang is not equal foreigner, this is well known in TH seems only zou don't know.

Can be 200-300 homeless foreigners in TH especially in BKK but I have never seen white European (farang) homeless but I have seen many African and Asian foreigners to live in streets.

If I see homeless farang, I will talk to hem, I will ask why is he in need and what can I help him.

That's all.

So generous of you, meet me any place between sukhumvit soi 1-Ashoke after 22:00 hrs, and I will led you the places these westerners sleeping., and trust me they are "farang"

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

• Like 2

Sad to see this, not really what you expect to see but I understand how people can get into trouble here. I work for Thai company and it is very clear to me that you have to do everything possible to protect yourself. I am sure people will disagree with this but nonetheless the fact is that the work ethic here is very poor.

People are not considered to be important (money is King, full stop) and things that Westerners would usually consider cannot happen as it is immoral / unethical or even illegal will and do happen.

One example from me (and I have many). I agreed a new contract with my employer that involved an increase in my basic (retainer) salary. A week after payday I noticed that the increase had not been paid so I raised it with the boss.. 10 minutes later i was in a meeting room with HR and the boss and they handed me a new contract to sign where they had simply changed the new contract date to the following month meaning the increase did not come into effect until the next months payday.

Of course, at home this would never happen as it is laughable, they would simply pay you the shortfall but this is the Thai way. I could have argued and fought but that would have meant a conflict which would have done me no favors so I simply had to sign the new one.

So, my experience is protect yourself as much as possible, have a plan B and try and hold onto enough cash for a ticket out if everything has gone belly up.

Good luck to Chris, best to get yourself back home asap and start again.

• Like 1

This is a re run of a previous story on the same subject a year ago or so and it was hot for a day or two more. The Nation should be compelled to provide video clips of the actual interviews with people such as Chris. So that we can determine on our own, without the assistance of a Nation reporter, whether he is actually a financial expert.

• Like 1

I mentioned this several times, they can go live at a temple, free food and room. They can even get paid to teach English, no work permit neded if living at the temple. They don't even need to become a monk. Also they will meet many Thais who will help them with a new start by giving them work for helping at the temple. Then they can leave the temple after a year or so and have a new start. I did it so why can't they, I guess they are too lazy or just drunks.

Randy

sounds to me like something about this tale sucks.... well, at least for a year or so....cheesy.gif

For the Pattaya readers. Has anyone ever noticed the foreign guy with the black beard who always sits in the police box on Sukumvit. He is usually sat at the Theprasit junction? Always wondered if anyone knows what his story is?

Regularly,I stay on Khaotalo not far from his usual haunts.Word is he has lost everything to a Thai wife/girlfriend.I wish him no harm but I wonder why the authorities just ignore him.Surely it would be better for all concerned if he was repatriated?