US court upholds conviction of Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout

webfact

US court upholds conviction of Russian arms dealer captured in Bangkok
By Coconuts Bangkok

victorbout55.jpg

NEW YORK: -- A US appeals court in New York upheld Friday the conviction of Russian "merchant of death" arms smuggler Viktor Bout, who was sentenced to 25 years behind bars.

The pursuit of Bout, "a high-priority criminal target, does not demonstrate vindictive, or even inappropriate government conduct," wrote Judge Jose Cabranes on behalf of a unanimous court.

Bout, imprisoned in the United States, had argued that "the government's conduct constituted an outrageous or vindictive prosecution in violation of his constitutional right to due process of law."

He also claimed that his 2010 extradition from Thailand was "was illegal because it was the consequence of coercive political pressure exerted by the United States."

The court said it found no merit to any of Bout's claims "and, accordingly, we affirm the judgment of conviction of the District Court."

"In this case... the government's motivation to prosecute Bout stemmed from widespread concern that he was engaged in criminal conduct, as evidenced by his placement on numerous United States and United Nations sanctions lists since the early 2000s," it said.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/28/us-court-upholds-conviction-russian-arms-dealer-captured-bangkok

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-28

That Bout I feel for him. He was an arms dealer of the United States. The gov was his biggest client. And when his services are no longer required, they want to put him into prison for almost three decades.

Hope they won't be able to. Or if they want to, why not do it along with the elite that had him on salary.

That's baloney no matter how you slice it.

Bout was Putin's man entirely and completely.

That's why the talk is so strong of a possible Bout for Snowden deal, which I doubt the US would do. I doubt it because exchanging captured spies is one thing. There's no policy or precedent however of exchanging a criminal and traitor for a criminal arms dealer.

• Like 1

And note the smug smiles on the faces of the US cops. No different from BIB when it's picture time. And why are DEA agents doing the transport? If I recall, this was never a drugs case. Should be the US Marshals. Raylan Givens or Tommy Lee Jones.

This highlights the danger in dealing with the US government. The government of the US is like a snake- you need to always keep it in front of you, keep your back to the wall and remember that it is deadly. The arrogance of the US government is amazing. Not US bashing as I am a Yank but I think our government is a mess.

You think any other government would be different to deal with?

Bout did some business with the US, but also a lot with some very bad governments which caused a lot of suffering. Good riddance to him.

• Like 1