Making a CBR250 ridable

AllanB

I have been looking for an affordable touring bike for a while now, the second-hand 400cc size bikes are becoming rare and overpriced, many being sold without books, though I keep looking for the Virago that I covert.

I have been over in the UK for the summer and looked at the bike market there, with envy, however, I looked at the price of the bikes that are common here and was surprised. The Honda Wave 110 which costs 34,000 for the entry level here is over £1,800 in the UK, or 90,000baht and the CBR250 is over £7,000 making the price they ask here a real snip.

Having ridden a CBR250, it has sufficient performance, but is clearly a racing bike in terms of riding position and to my mind not at all suitable for an old git on Thai roads. So does anyone know what can be done using after market bits to make this a comfortable low speed cruiser, with a nice upright-ish driving position.

I currently have a Phantom, my first bike, but although it is comfortable and the riding position good, it is a 200cc asthmatic, dressed as a Harley. Heavy and gutless, not my favourite combination.

Or are there any better choices, to carry a 150kg payload around Thailand at 60-80kph?

I think the 250 is closer to 4k in the U.K. Still makes it a lot more than here.

It has to be the best value small bike on the market here. I was considering one myself but having stopped by the Kawasaki dealer the other day, might not go the Honda route anymore :)

The new 300 is very nice, quite a bit more money than the CBR but a lot more bike too. Also had a look at the Z250, more upright riding position which might suit you more ? Cheaper as well....

As someone that rides my CBR250 every weekday I can say that I have found it to be very good for cruising. Sure it doesn't have the comfortable riding position of the Phantom but it is quite comfortable when you get used to it.

Also the handling is great compared to the Phantom should a dog or an idiot run across the road I front of you.

I agree with you on the 400 cc bikes, an old but very well looked after CB400 cost a Thai bike mechanic 90,000 baht recently where I live. 120,000 baht for a brand new CBR looks attractive or 215,000 for the CB500X.

You may be right, but this came along and it was local, a good price too....

post-103189-0-60157200-1381199398_thumb.

The green book is now in my wife's name and we have it running quite well, save a hot start problem.

Shaft drive I like and quite easy to work on, 500cc would be nicer, but hey you can't have everything......at once.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...