Government denies 'killing' TV interview

Lite Beer

CENSORSHIP?
Srisuwan threatens to sue Modernine over cancelled broadcast

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- SRISUWAN JANYA, the president of Stop Global Warming Association, yesterday said the SGWA could sue Modernine TV after it stopped a broadcast scheduled for Saturday of a recorded interview with environmentalist Sasin Chalermlarp allegedly over his campaign against the Mae Wong Dam project.

He said Modernine TV's decision not to air the episode, citing the reason that it was giving one-sided information from Sasin, was unfair because in the past the channel had aired programmes with one-sided information from the government. He said Modernine TV is trying to cover the eyes and ears of the people. Sasin is the secretary general of the Sueb Nakhasathien Foundation,

He added that Modernine TV should reconsider its stance. Srisuwan called on the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission to order Modernine TV to air the programme.

"If Modernine TV ignores this request, SGWA and other environmentalists will sue them in the Administrative Court," Srisuwan said.

The change in the scheduled programme had led to widespread speculation on social media sites on Saturday about the reasons.

TV Burapa, the producer of Khon Khon Khon, has posted the censored interview tape on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyvvrnSwRj8.

On its Facebook page, TV Burapa said that ahead of the broadcast date, Channel 9 had asked for additional interviews for a more balanced presentation. The producer was also urged to cut some parts considered provocative. It said the tape was amended accordingly, but in a way that did not tarnish the company's standpoint. However, the edited tape could not win approval.

The company then decided to post the tape on YouTube, urging viewers to judge if it was biased.

TV Burapa also said that it had no intention to cause divisions or launch an unfair attack against any party. The episode was meant to urge society to come up with peaceful and fair solutions, it said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-30

Beg to differ with you. the internet is the most unreliable source of information in the history of mankind. It is free there by allowing any thing to be put on it.

Critical thinking is requisite. Cross referencing etc, facilitated by a simple click of the mouse, and ignoring all the idiotic stuff. But I would never have been able to access the enormous amount of information on my many and varied interests, I would never find otherwise in this country.if it were not for the 'net. I don't own a tv or subscribe to mainstream media either.

I watched the entire video and found it very interesting, not to mention heart warming, after all the negativity posted about the Thais on this forum. I have been guilty of that, but I live on Phuket laugh.png

Edited by jpeg

"The TV company decided not to air the programme because it was too one sided but this information comes from the government spokesman not the company. He alsosaid the producer was asked to make the episode more balanced but by whom ?"

The "whom" doesn't matter anymore than the "balanced". What does matter is that a television station backed down because of political pressure. To wit: the fault is with Channel 9.