Taxi or private car & driver-Phuket Airport to Krabi?

maxjay

What would be the cost per trip, of a taxi, or private car & driver from Phuket Airport to Krabi, and return to Phuket Airport from Krabi?

Before anyone asks...

There is a direct flight from Udon to Phuket. My wife & I live in Udon.

I'm thinking it may be less expensive, and less hassle, to fly direct to Phuket, and then take a taxi, or hire a private car & driver to take us to Krabi. Versus flying to Bangkok, and then taking a second flight to Krabi.

Also, does anyone have the name and telephone number of a private car & driver?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by metisdead
Unnecessary usage of bold font removed.

You could get the boat over, but I actually think the two flights would work out easier, and probably cheaper, for you.

I once arranged for a taxi to go from Kamala to Krabi and the cost was 3000 baht. Depending on the number of days you plan to stay, it could be cheaper to rent a car at the airport and you still get to use the car in Krabi.

• Like 1

You could get the boat over, but I actually think the two flights would work out easier, and probably cheaper, for you.

I once arranged for a taxi to go from Kamala to Krabi and the cost was 3000 baht. Depending on the number of days you plan to stay, it could be cheaper to rent a car at the airport and you still get to use the car in Krabi.

Renting a car is another option, but a check of AirAsia's website shows the two flights to be cheaper, and possibly quicker.

The below is the cost of flights for a random day in October.

http://booking.airasia.com/Select.aspx

Udon to Bangkok 790 baht and Bangkok to Krabi 990 baht.

Udon to Phuket 2533 baht and then you need to pay for land and/or sea transport to Krabi.

I would take the two flights.

Thanks for the replies. I will consider them.

We are not planning on traveling until February 2014.

AirAsia in February, Udon-Phuket-Udon, if I book now, comes to 6,235 THB for Two R/T's.

Living upcountry is good, but it has it's drawbacks, one of them happens to be traveling. It's difficult finds decent connecting times from one domestic flight to another.

Plus, I really don't want to spend all day traveling, IE: checking in for one flight out of Udon, then collecting my baggage in Bkk., checking it in for a second flight out of Bkk., then collecting my baggage again in Krabi, etc. Not to mention all the "dead time" waiting around airports.

My wife and I travel so infrequently these days, that when we do travel, we want a carefree holiday, and the journey to our destination, to contain the least bit of hassle.

Edited by maxjay

Thanks for the replies. I will consider them.

We are not planning on traveling until February 2014.

AirAsia in February, Udon-Phuket-Udon, if I book now, comes to 6,235 THB for Two R/T's.

Living upcountry is good, but it has it's drawbacks, one of them happens to be traveling. It's difficult finds decent connecting times from one domestic flight to another.

Plus, I really don't want to spend all day traveling, IE: checking in for one flight out of Udon, then collecting my baggage in Bkk., checking it in for a second flight out of Bkk., then collecting my baggage again in Krabi, etc. Not to mention all the "dead time" waiting around airports.

My wife and I travel so infrequently these days, that when we do travel, we want a carefree holiday, and the journey to our destination, to contain the least bit of hassle.

"Living upcountry is good, but it has it's drawbacks, one of them happens to be traveling." - living on Phuket is good, but it has it's drawbacks, one of them happens to be transport. :)

It's well documented. You WILL be ripped off. No problem if you are happy to pay, but you will definately be paying over the odds, and that's just to get to the pier to catch the boat, if you decide on the boat, let alone Krabi, by road.

If you do not have to deal with any form of land transport on Phuket, you would be doing yourself a favour.

Also, I'm not quite sure flying direct from Udon to Phuket and then going by land and/or sea is going to be any faster, or easier, for that matter.

If you time your flights well, catching the two flights may well be faster and save you a lot of grief dealing with the Phuket transport mafia.

Anything originating in Phuket taxi was is going to be very expensive. Avoid Phuket airport if you can, unless you rent a car which would be cheaper as NKM says. The roads are well marked in English.

NKM, what boat to Krabi from HKT do you speak of?

I guess NKM is talking about this one ...

Ferry From Phuket to Ao-nang (Krabi)

Boat Departure Arrive Price

Express 08.30 10.30 650 baht

Express 13.30 15.30 650 baht

Yes, that would be correct. Haven't caught it for a while, but it was a pleasant ride. I've been lucky to have good weather when I have gone over to Krabi. On the times I have caught the boat, many were on the top deck, with shirts off, grabbing a tan and taking photos.

As pleasant as the boat ride over has been for me, you are going to have to get to the pier from the airport, and that will not be a pleasant "negotiation" and experience.

I suggest the two flights would be the better option.

Checking-in twice, for two flights, is less stressful than dealing with the Phuket transport mafia.

In my opinion the OP should hire a rental car at Phuket airport. David's car rental gives good service and rates (Google it).

Yes, the rental car is not a bad option, but if the OP is going to stay at a resort on Railay Beach, there's probably not a lot of need for a car.

Let's be honest, any option is better than dealing with the "transport" here, AND NO, that's not Phuket bashing, that's just telling it the way it is.

The OP made no mention on where he plans to stay. Really comes down to how many days he plans to stay in Krabi. 7 days or less then hire car is the way. The idea of taxi to Phuket ferry terminal and then taxi from Ao Nang ferry terminal is a non starter, plus the timing will not work for a flight from Udon by Air Asia which arrives in the early evening. What about a shared mini bus to Krabi. That would be the budget way to go. The OP could organise that on arrival at Phuket airport at the taxi/minibus desk.

• Like 1

The OP made no mention on where he plans to stay. Really comes down to how many days he plans to stay in Krabi. 7 days or less then hire car is the way. The idea of taxi to Phuket ferry terminal and then taxi from Ao Nang ferry terminal is a non starter, plus the timing will not work for a flight from Udon by Air Asia which arrives in the early evening. What about a shared mini bus to Krabi. That would be the budget way to go. The OP could organise that on arrival at Phuket airport at the taxi/minibus desk.

Yes, need a little more information from the OP, but if they want to sit by the pool, or lay on the beach, for their time in Krabi, I would simply suggest the two flights.

Edited by NamKangMan

In my opinion the OP should hire a rental car at Phuket airport. David's car rental gives good service and rates (Google it).

Yes, the rental car is not a bad option, but if the OP is going to stay at a resort on Railay Beach, there's probably not a lot of need for a car.

Let's be honest, any option is better than dealing with the "transport" here, AND NO, that's not Phuket bashing, that's just telling it the way it is.

Simply taking a taxi from one place to the other is for hardly anybosy a problem. Go to the meter taxi stand and ask a price, or go to the limousine sand and ask a price. Al said and done, no hassle, no problem.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Krabitaxi.com quotes 2790 baht for pickup in Phuket and dropoff in Krabi town

Better than waiting around in airports all day.

The AirAsia flight from Bangkok to Krabi is 990 baht. (it will a little more with some add-ons) The OP will have to buy two tickets, but still could work out cheaper.

The taxi, through the company you mentioned, is 2790 baht and is around a 3 hour drive.

They are domestic flights, so, no immigration. Also, Don Muang Airport is not very crowded as there are only a few bugdget airlines operating out of there.

If you time the flights well, you would not be "waiting around" the airport all day, and if you had to wait 90 minutes at the airport, between flights, grab a beer, or a coffee, and relax - in my opinion, it beats sitting in a taxi for 3 hours, not to mention, air travel being a lot safer than road travel here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Simply taking a taxi from one place to the other is for hardly anybosy a problem. Go to the meter taxi stand and ask a price, or go to the limousine sand and ask a price. Al said and done, no hassle, no problem.

Once you are at the Phuket Airport, and are asking for a price to get to Krabi, you are at their mercy - we all know what they are like there.

I'm simply suggesting the OP bypass the Phuket transport mafia, completely.

As mentioned in another post, in my opinion, it's best to sit at Don Muang Airport for 90 minutes, than in a taxi for 2.5 to 3 hours, and safer as well.

Once you are at the Phuket Airport, and are asking for a price to get to Krabi, you are at their mercy - we all know what they are like there.

I'm simply suggesting the OP bypass the Phuket transport mafia, completely.

As mentioned in another post, in my opinion, it's best to sit at Don Muang Airport for 90 minutes, than in a taxi for 2.5 to 3 hours, and safer as well.

Fine, you give your advice here.

But a statement like "Let's be honest, any option is better than dealing with the "transport" here, AND NO, that's not Phuket bashing, that's just telling it the way it is." is simply not true for nearly everybody. And finding support with a sentence like 'we all know ...' is a real sign of weakness.

If the OP intends to use transport in Ao Nang a rental car seems the best option, if not a taxi or pre-arranged transfer are good and viable solutions.

Yes, need a little more information from the OP, but if they want to sit by the pool, or lay on the beach, for their time in Krabi, I would simply suggest the two flights.

Thanks everyone, for all the replies and research. Much appreciated.

We have our accommodations lined up in Krabi. The owner of the resort in Krabi has offered to send his driver to pick us up. 2,500 THB per trip.

I just wanted to check if that was a standard price, or if someone personally knew a driver, that charged less. But, from what has been posted, 2,500 seems in the ballpark.

The AirAsia flight from Udon-Phuket arrives in Phuket around 18:00...too late for the ferry. But, maybe the ferry might make a good choice for our return, it's always nice to get out on the sea.

Thanks also for all the cautionary words in regards to transport in Phuket. I'm well aware of them.

NamKangman, you hit the nail on the head. We plan on spending 3-4 weeks in Krabi...relaxing by the pool or at the beach, a little snorkeling, long- boat ride along the river, etc.

We don't really need a car, and if we need one for a day or so, we can always hire one. As I wrote in my OP, we live here in Thailand, so I drive everyday in this insane asylum. Part of a relaxing holiday for me will be not having to drive everyday and everywhere we want to go. After 13 years, I can honestly say, driving in Thailand is one of the most stressful things about living here...IMO.

Edited by maxjay
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, for all the replies and research. Much appreciated.

We have our accommodations lined up in Krabi. The owner of the resort in Krabi has offered to send his driver to pick us up. 2,500 THB per trip.

I just wanted to check if that was a standard price, or if someone personally knew a driver, that charged less. But, from what has been posted, 2,500 seems in the ballpark.

The AirAsia flight from Udon-Phuket arrives in Phuket around 18:00...too late for the ferry. But, maybe the ferry might make a good choice for our return, it's always nice to get out on the sea.

Thanks also for all the cautionary words in regards to transport in Phuket. I'm well aware of them.

NamKangman, you hit the nail on the head. We plan on spending 3-4 weeks in Krabi...relaxing by the pool or at the beach, a little snorkeling, long- boat ride along the river, etc.

We don't really need a car, and if we need one for a day or so, we can always hire one. As I wrote in my OP, we live here in Thailand, so I drive everyday in this insane asylum. Part of a relaxing holiday for me will be not having to drive everyday and everywhere we want to go. After 13 years, I can honestly say, driving in Thailand is one of the most stressful things about living here...IMO.

No problem.

I would have taken the two flights, and insteady of sitting in a taxi for 2.5 to 3 hours, I would have sat at the airport with a beer or coffee in hand, and then only had the 30 minute taxi ride from Krabi Airport (approx 600 baht) - but each to their own.

2500 baht seems reasonable.

OP, when you are at Phuket Airport, can you ask the metered taxis and the airport "limos" for a price from Phuket Airport to Ao Nang and report back on this thread?

I would be interested in what they quote you.

The Taxi-Meter company price for a pre-booked taxi from the airport to Krabi Town or Ao Nang is 2,000 baht.

But if your hotel will do it for 2,500 baht, that sounds like a reasonable offer.

Simon

I don't think you would get it for 2000 baht these days - fresh off the plane. How long ago were you quoted this price?

Just for info, if it helps, Nok air commence BKK-KBV flights in the new year ....just gives another option on the connections.

I often do the 2 sector trip between Krabi and Ubon via Bkk ,and personally wouldn't consider a taxi between Krabi and Phuket .

I drive the route regularly and it's not the most relaxing journey in your own vehicle ,at your own pace, let alone at mad speeds in a taxi racing all the minivans.....

Just for info, if it helps, Nok air commence BKK-KBV flights in the new year ....just gives another option on the connections.

I often do the 2 sector trip between Krabi and Ubon via Bkk ,and personally wouldn't consider a taxi between Krabi and Phuket .

I drive the route regularly and it's not the most relaxing journey in your own vehicle ,at your own pace, let alone at mad speeds in a taxi racing all the minivans.....

Each to their own, but I agree with you. The two fight option is the method I would have chosen.

Easy to book yourself, over the net, with many connections available. Safer, more relaxing, possibly quicker and possibly cheaper.

Ha Ha the family connection raises it's head again.

What a pathetic and irrelevant comment. I recommend he takes up the hotel offer - can you not understand simple English??

I don't think you would get it for 2000 baht these days - fresh off the plane. How long ago were you quoted this price?

This is the 'official' rate of the Taxi-Meter company, quoted 2 days ago. But it would only apply for pre-bookings. If you go to their airport office at a busy time then the rate will certainly be increased.

Simon

The Taxi-Meter company price for a pre-booked taxi from the airport to Krabi Town or Ao Nang is 2,000 baht.

But if your hotel will do it for 2,500 baht, that sounds like a reasonable offer.

Simon

+1

I just paid 900 to patong. I don't think they would drive all the way to krabi for only 2000.

Ha Ha the family connection raises it's head again.

What a pathetic and irrelevant comment. I recommend he takes up the hotel offer - can you not understand simple English??

This is the 'official' rate of the Taxi-Meter company, quoted 2 days ago. But it would only apply for pre-bookings. If you go to their airport office at a busy time then the rate will certainly be increased.

Simon

I did say, "fresh off the plane." So, you roll up with your suitcase, looking like a first timer - I'd be interested in what the metered taxis and airport limo's would quote at the Phuket Airport to Krabi/Ao Nang.

Simon

+1

I just paid 900 to patong. I don't think they would drive all the way to krabi for only 2000.

Was that a metered taxi?