Taxi or private car & driver-Phuket Airport to Krabi?

maxjay

The Taxi-Meter company price for a pre-booked taxi from the airport to Krabi Town or Ao Nang is 2,000 baht.

But if your hotel will do it for 2,500 baht, that sounds like a reasonable offer.

Simon

I don't think you would get it for 2000 baht these days - fresh off the plane. How long ago were you quoted this price?
+1

I just paid 900 to patong. I don't think they would drive all the way to krabi for only 2000.

Was that a metered taxi?

Yes.

+1

I just paid 900 to patong. I don't think they would drive all the way to krabi for only 2000.

Was that a metered taxi?

Yes.

Might have been a meter taxi, but that would not be the price on a working meter. Should have been more like 450 baht + 100 baht airport fee.

Was that a metered taxi?

Get real NKM - you know that's not the meter price laugh.png

My regular driver (he has a metered taxi) told me on my last run that the next time I go to the airport, he would have to put the price up. Obviously, he was told of things to come. I never asked him how much it was going up by.

Poooket has stated in another post that it was a metered taxi, and 900 baht.

My guy might do the run for me a bit cheaper, because he has in the past, and I actually throw some business his way, but am I being lead to believe the new "metered taxi" rate (which is not what is actually on the meter) is going to be 900 baht?

<snip>

but am I being lead to believe the new "metered taxi" rate (which is not what is actually on the meter) is going to be 900 baht?

Says it all - "which is not what is actually on the meter" So it's all a total con. The last time we took a meter cab back from the airport to Kata it was about 400 baht on the meter plus the 100 baht airport fee. I have to admit that was over a year ago, and it was just after midnight. We usually take our car and park at the aiport, and I 'used to' calculate a 5 day parking fee (5 x 200 baht) was the break even on taxi cost vs parking fee. I guess I will have to reconsider this break even cost smile.png

<snip>

but am I being lead to believe the new "metered taxi" rate (which is not what is actually on the meter) is going to be 900 baht?

Says it all - "which is not what is actually on the meter" So it's all a total con. The last time we took a meter cab back from the airport to Kata it was about 400 baht on the meter plus the 100 baht airport fee. I have to admit that was over a year ago, and it was just after midnight. We usually take our car and park at the aiport, and I 'used to' calculate a 5 day parking fee (5 x 200 baht) was the break even on taxi cost vs parking fee. I guess I will have to reconsider this break even cost smile.png

For the record, I have never once, not even once, had a Phuket metered airport taxi use the meter, and I'm a "visa runner" who flies, so I go to the airport regularly, throughout the year.

To be fair, I have never demanded the meter because if they refuse, what are you going to do, go and get an airport limo for 1300 baht?

I caught the minivan a couple of times, but maybe I was unlucky, all on the minivan, except for me, went into the travel agent and listened to their BS and signed up. I had to wait outside, whilst they tried to entice me inside, a long time, on both occasions.

On the next run, I'd like to try the new airport bus to Patong, and then ring a friend to pick me up on his motorbike.

I don't own a car here - do you envisage the parking fee increasing in the future?

+1

Was that a metered taxi?
Yes.
Might have been a meter taxi, but that would not be the price on a working meter. Should have been more like 450 baht + 100 baht airport fee.

I think it was a working meter and that this is the new rate. I know of two others who have paid about same as me for the meter taxi.

Thanks for the replies. I will consider them.

We are not planning on traveling until February 2014.

AirAsia in February, Udon-Phuket-Udon, if I book now, comes to 6,235 THB for Two R/T's.

There is a direct flight from Udon to Phuket. My wife & I live in Udon.

Living upcountry is good, but it has it's drawbacks, one of them happens to be traveling. It's difficult finds decent connecting times from one domestic flight to another.

Plus, I really don't want to spend all day traveling, IE: checking in for one flight out of Udon, then collecting my baggage in Bkk., checking it in for a second flight out of Bkk., then collecting my baggage again in Krabi, etc. Not to mention all the "dead time" waiting around airports.

My wife and I travel so infrequently these days, that when we do travel, we want a carefree holiday, and the journey to our destination, to contain the least bit of hassle.

I don't think "carefree holiday" and "Phuket taxi" go well together, but I wish you and your wife good luck biggrin.png

Ha Ha the family connection raises it's head again.

What a pathetic and irrelevant comment. I recommend he takes up the hotel offer - can you not understand simple English??

I don't think you would get it for 2000 baht these days - fresh off the plane. How long ago were you quoted this price?

This is the 'official' rate of the Taxi-Meter company, quoted 2 days ago. But it would only apply for pre-bookings. If you go to their airport office at a busy time then the rate will certainly be increased.

Simon

I did not notice you put "official" in brackets, which I appreciate, but I wish we could also use another name for the "Taxi-Meter company" - as that name almost makes it sound like a legal operation. Thanks smile.png

Thanks once again for all the replies. Hopefully all the info contained on this thread will be of assistance to future travelers to the Krabi/Phuket area.

I don't think "carefree holiday" and "Phuket taxi" go well together, but I wish you and your wife good luck.

I agree with that now. In my OP, I wanted to gauge the cost of ground transport from Phuket Airport to Ao Nang. I thought there might be a "private car with driver" service, out of Phuket, that had fixed rates for various destinations? Similar to "Mr. T's" service that works out of the Jomtien/Pattaya area, and has fixed rates. Guess not.

I recommend he takes up the hotel offer...

That's exactly what we plan on doing.

Thanks once again for all the replies. Hopefully all the info contained on this thread will be of assistance to future travelers to the Krabi/Phuket area.

I agree with that now. In my OP, I wanted to gauge the cost of ground transport from Phuket Airport to Ao Nang. I thought there might be a "private car with driver" service, out of Phuket, that had fixed rates for various destinations? Similar to "Mr. T's" service that works out of the Jomtien/Pattaya area, and has fixed rates. Guess not.

That's exactly what we plan on doing.

There are quite a few 'private car with drivers services' operating here with fixed rates for the different destinations. But they have to be booked in advance.

There are quite a few 'private car with drivers services' operating here with fixed rates for the different destinations. But they have to be booked in advance.

Got any contact details for them? Telephone #'s?

As I wrote in an earlier post, we are not planning on traveling until late January 2014/early February 2014.

Thanks in advance.smile.png

Got any contact details for them? Telephone #'s?

As I wrote in an earlier post, we are not planning on traveling until late January 2014/early February 2014.

Thanks in advance.smile.png

Whenever I need transport I always use my own car. But check TripAdvisor, there are many threads there on transport, names mentioned are e.g. Manop, Dej, Lek Landen, Chai and quite a few more. You could also check the Krabi forum on TA, I'm sure there are more people with the same questions as you do.

TV is normally used by expats, who are not always the best source of information on reliable taxi's/transport options. TA is not always reliable, but a browse there should give you more information.