Passport has five months validity

Hi ,I am in Oz now and fly back to Thailand in a few days and just noticed my passport is valid for five months ,I think you have to have six months valid passport to enter or for the airline to let you leave .

But I still have a non O visa multi entry in the passport ,would they still let me fly or do I need a new passport ? Also I have a return flight to Oz five days after I arrive ,only staying five days to pick up the family.

Thanks all.

Your passport only has to be valid for your permitted stay. So no problem with 90 day entry.

Thanks joe ,I thought so but the info I'm getting here says six months ,and I was at the airport a few years back when a girl was not allowed to fly for that reason at qantas check in .

So the rules have changed since then ?

Your passport only has to be valid for your permitted stay. So no problem with 90 day entry.

that was not true for me last january on a visa run to cambodia on a double entry tourist visa. i was denied entry.

Denied entry ?

Was that to Thailand or Cambodia ?

As a matter of interest where did you end up ?

that was not true for me last january on a visa run to cambodia on a double entry tourist visa. i was denied entry.

Denied entry ?

Was that to Thailand or Cambodia ?

As a matter of interest where did you end up ?

i was denied re-entry into thailand! and its a long long story. suffice it to say, they were dead serious about it and no one wants to go thru what i did.

AYJAYDEE

"i was denied re-entry into thailand! and its a long long story. suffice it to say, they were dead serious about it and no one wants to go thru what i did."

I am sure many of us would be interested in hearing the short version smile.png

well ill try in a minute but in the meantime i think this guy better be aware he may be denied entry even if he does manage to board his plane

AYJAYDEE

"i was denied re-entry into thailand! and its a long long story. suffice it to say, they were dead serious about it and no one wants to go thru what i did."

I am sure many of us would be interested in hearing the short version smile.png

Oct 2012 – obtain double entry tourist visa in Vancouver in a passport that expires july 13, 2013

Dec 2012- enter Thailand at suvanabumi

Jan 25, 2013- with 3 days remaining on first entry, go to khmer border, exit thailand, buy Cambodia visa , look around for 30 minutes, exit Cambodia.

Go to thai immigration, present passport. Official enters info in computer, says I don’t have 6 months left on passport and cannot enter. I have little money, no spare clothes etc etc. Ask what I shud do, guy says he doesn’t care but cannot let me in because info in computer and he will lose job if someone notices. Offer money, but he says still cant do as he would lose job. Tells me to go phnom penh and get new passport. Wife pleads with him and he finally says: if we can get khmer to cancel our entry and exit, he will cancel my thai exit and I will then have 3 days left on first entry to go to bkk and get new passport. Khmers refuse to cancel but we spot an off duty khmer official who we knew from previous visits. He pulls rank and orders them to cancel entry/exit stamps. They complain but finally do it. We go back to thai side where official has been in touch by phone with his supervisor and realized that his boss can give me an extension at the office 2 km inside Thailand. I suspect he got shit for letting me leave as he knew I would be coming right back. Go to immigration office, get extension. Alls well that ends well.

AYJAYDEE

Thanks smile.png

I wonder if there is a requirement for a 6 month passport validity at land border crossings ?

Perhaps one of the experts will advise.

well, as the computer picked up on the lack of 6 months and red flagged me, i would assume it is the same at EVERY entry point. experts can offer all the opinions they want, im just sayin that I was denied entry because i didnt have 6 months left WHEN I TRIED TO USE A SECOND ENTRY. and the immigration officer at the provincial immigration office confirmed that this was the policy.

AYJAYDEE

Thanks smile.png

I wonder if there is a requirement for a 6 month passport validity at land border crossings ?

well, as the computer picked up on the lack of 6 months and red flagged me, i would assume it is the same at EVERY entry point. experts can offer all the opinions they want, im just sayin that I was denied entry because i didnt have 6 months left WHEN I TRIED TO USE A SECOND ENTRY. and the immigration officer at the provincial immigration office confirmed that this was the policy.

Not necessarily.

There are some differences associated with land borders one being the 15 day visa exempt entry. 30 days visa exempt (for qualifying passports) at airports.

AYJAYDEE

Thanks smile.png

Not necessarily.

There are some differences associated with land borders one being the 15 day visa exempt entry. 30 days visa exempt (for qualifying passports) at airports.

well it was the immigration computer system that flagged me, not the guy himself. i wouldnt want to take the chance on the fact that land borders MIGHT be different if i was this aussie guy. i can see no valid reason why a land border would be different in this regard.

The Thai consulate in Melbourne, on their website has the following.

Q: I want to go to Thailand for a 2 week holiday and hold an Australian passport, do I need a visa?

A: Australian passport holders can travel to Thailand for up to 30 days (if they fly in) and 15 days (if they travel overland) as a tourist without a visa. Provided that you have a confirmed outward bound ticket and your passport won't expire within 6 months of entering Thailand.

Q: My passport will run out in 3 months, can I enter Thailand with only 3 months validity left?

A: No, ALL passports require a minimum of 6 month validity period remaining in your passport to enter Thailand.

Think I'd be getting that new passport, not worth the risk of being refused entry.

The Thai consulate in Melbourne, on their website has the following.

Q: I want to go to Thailand for a 2 week holiday and hold an Australian passport, do I need a visa?

A: Australian passport holders can travel to Thailand for up to 30 days (if they fly in) and 15 days (if they travel overland) as a tourist without a visa. Provided that you have a confirmed outward bound ticket and your passport won't expire within 6 months of entering Thailand.

Q: My passport will run out in 3 months, can I enter Thailand with only 3 months validity left?

A: No, ALL passports require a minimum of 6 month validity period remaining in your passport to enter Thailand.

Think I'd be getting that new passport, not worth the risk of being refused entry.

and even tho i had 6 months on my double entry at the time of my first entry, i didnt at the time of my second entry and they refused to let me enter.

For peace of mind I would get a new passport as in five months you will need one anyway. In Australia they can issue it in two working days but you have to pay about $100 extra for priority service. On Border Security I think I have seen where people have been able to get a new passport same day but maybe that's only at the airport.

• Like 1

For peace of mind I would get a new passport as in five months you will need one anyway. In Australia they can issue it in two working days but you have to pay about $100 extra for priority service. On Border Security I think I have seen where people have been able to get a new passport same day but maybe that's only at the airport.

it could get pretty expensive if he got to bkk and was told he was being refused entry and he had to turn around and buy a ticket out of the country

i did a visa run to cambodia last january on a double entry tourist visa and i was refused entry because i only had 5 1/2 months left on my passport. I suspect you are hooped!! 

You should click the link I posted earlier and check what it says you either will be informed immigration was wrong or the country you are from requires 6 months validity.

My reply was for an Australian and he checked info which confirmed it was only required for length of stay for him.

Also for those that may think it is different for air and land it is not.

i did a visa run to cambodia last january on a double entry tourist visa and i was refused entry because i only had 5 1/2 months left on my passport. I suspect you are hooped!!

You should click the link I posted earlier and check what it says you either will be informed immigration was wrong or the country you are from requires 6 months validity.

My reply was for an Australian and he checked info which confirmed it was only required for length of stay for him.

Also for those that may think it is different for air and land it is not.

if you go to your link and check what that link requires for a canadian is exactly the same as what it requires for an australian. i am telling you what happened at the border, that it was backed up by the senior immigration officer in the provincial immigration office who then gave me an extension. the officer was adamant that i needed 6 months EVERY TIME i entered thailand. they were also insistent that the lack of 6 months was flagged by the immigration computer system when the guy at the border typed in my details. if this guy is willing to risk it, go for it. i'm just telling what happened.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

All I can say is that they were wrong.

right or wrong has nothing to do with it when you are being denied entry. that immigration computer is going to flag this guy the same way it flagged me. aussies and canucks are required to satisfy the same requirements. here is the melbourne blurb. notice it says 6 months beyond the day of entry . NOT beyond the first date of entry. the immigration department are obviously interpreting this differently than you are.

ourist Visa Information

Foreigners holding a Tourist Visa, on entry into Thailand originating from 43 designated countries (see List of eligible countries), will be permitted by the Immigration Officer to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 60 days.

As for nationals from other countries who hold a Tourist Visa, they will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Should such nationals wish to extend their stay, they may apply for extension of stay at the Immigration Bureau. The granting of extension of stay is under the discretion of the Immigration Officer (application fee 1,900 Baht).

NOTE: Applicants holding certain passports (see List of countries) may require to apply for a visa at The Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra.

Requirements

1. Passport that is in order and valid for AT LEAST 6 months, beyond the proposed day of entry into Thailand.
  2. Two passport size photographs (taken no more than 3 months).
  3. A copy of an itinerary (copy of a ticket or booking details).
  4. Filled in visa application form. (application form)
  5. Visa fee AU$45 per entry (cash, bank cheque, or money order only).

*All visa applications must be submitted within 3 months of travelling to Thailand.*

NOTE: For application posted in, registered posted application will only be accepted. Please make sure you have included all of the above requirements plus a self addressing registered envelope to be posted back to the applicant (make sure you do not tear off the slip of the envelope to be posted back t

That is for applying for a tourist visa not entry.

lol! interpret it how you like, the thai immigration computer chooses to disagree with you. it red flagged me, i was denied entry on the basis of the red flag and there is a chance this guy will be as well. if he wants to risk it, its all the same to me. I'm just giving him the benefit of my experience.