How often to LHR-BKK flights arrive early at Swampy?

plachon

Just wanted to conduct a quick straw poll of people who've found their London-BKK flight arriving early, in particular the EVA flight? I've got a flight booked later this month that gets in at 15.05 and the only domestic flight out to my final destination is at 16.00. If it arrives on time and there's much delay through immigration or baggage/customs, then I'm going to be hard pushed to make the connection. If it's at all late, then I'm stuffed. But what's the chances of flight being early I wonder? In two minds as to whether to take the risk on booking that flight, but don't really want to stay o/night in BKK so it's tempting. Experiences of similar tight schedules?

Flown Eva many times. Had about a 2 hrs delay once about 5 yrs ago. Always arrived on time or little early but not really early.

IMO you've got no chance of catching a 4pm flight.

Over night in BKK. Saves stress and rumbles if you're refused for being a few mins late.

• Like 2

Thanks for replies. Yeah, it's probably not worth the worry of missing the flight by a few mins, either due to late arrival or those long queues that seem to be the norm in immigration of late. Will stay in BKK and get early flight next day, either from DM or Swampy.

Thai are quite often early but to EVA and others that are only on a stopover there is nothing to be gained by arriving early. The quickest I ever did from LHR was 9:30 on a 21:30 departure, both the BA and EVA departures around he same time delayed their LHR departures so they didn't arrive too early.

Swampy is just unpredictable, i really do fly in and out regular and find that even at times when there are less incoming it feels to me the immigration officers take the chance to go slow and shoot shit with eachother,

On a side note ...earlier this year when entering HK i was offered a kind of fast track by the officer as a regular visitor, in the office i dont think he actually checked how frequent i enter but asked ...how often do you enter hong kong....i answered...more often then you eat noodles...he replied not possible,

They took my dabs and did some typing then gave me my passport back with a bar code on it, last time i visited i found this fast track first time...swiped my passport and stuck my index finger in a hole and i was through with not even a stamp or an immigration officer in sight,

Returning to swampy some days later i stood in the line for 30 minutes only to have my passport stamped with a scowl,

The only comparison which can be made with these 2 airports are the fact they have air traffic, even the public transport systems to reach your final destination cant be compared.

• Like 1

As a general rule I never leave less than 4 hours for a transit, wherever that may be, even Singapore, and that has to be about the most efficient airport in the world. There's just too much to go wrong, late departure, extreme headwinds, diverting around airspace issues, air traffic control delays, etc.

If I'm flying on with on full fare ticket, that can be easily changed without loss of $$, I still leave a minimum 2-3 hours, but onwards with a LCC, where if I'm not a check in 30-60 minutes prior to departure, then I lose all, I wouldn't tempt it under 4 hours.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Thanks for replies. Yeah, it's probably not worth the worry of missing the flight by a few mins, either due to late arrival or those long queues that seem to be the norm in immigration of late. Will stay in BKK and get early flight next day, either from DM or Swampy.

When you are flying to the east as you will be from LHR you will normally have a tail wind (especially in the winter time as the westerly jet stream winds are faster then). The airlines allow for this in their schedules, but sometimes the tail winds are stronger and you will arrive early. But no guarantee of course, and if your parking bay is occupied by a flight about to depart you may have to wait on the ground until your bay is free anyway.

You could always book the domestic flight for the next day, but if the gods are smiling on you and you arrive early, get through immigration in a hurry, get your bag fast then go to the airline check in for the 4 pm flight and see if you can get on. This often works with main stream airlines and I have often done this - but not I admit at BKK. Not sure it will work with a LCC.

Most airlines provide fast track passes (the airlines pay extra handling charges for this) for first and business class passengers - I guess that you are travelling in economy - but its worth asking one of the senior EVA flight attendants in private for a fast track pass. Explain your situation and you never know your luck, especially if you have an EVA frequent flyer card.

Otherwise one night in Bangkok!

• Like 1

I fly very often from London to BKK, including EVA.

It is not remotely worth taking that chance.

There are invariably long queues at Immigration, particularly at that time of day, then you have got to wait for your luggage, then get up from Level 2 to Level 4 and check in. Almost an impossibility! Remember the flight times given in the schedule are the times to landing, NOT the time you arrive at the pier and can start getting off the aircraft. Don't take the risk. No way !

I fly Eva a couple of times a year - and they've been around 10-20 minutes early each time ..... but I wouldn't rely on it.

Although I reckon it's possible to do the connection in an hour - with a bit of luck and so long you only have hand luggage.

Immigration is normally 5 minutes Fast Track or 15-20 minutes normal. The trick at Swampy is to go to the other arrivals areas if the first one you come to is very busy. If you get in after a flight from China you're screwed as they never fill in the arrivals card properly so each person takes an age to process - but walking to the other arrivals area 500m further on can save time as it may not be as busy.

If the cost of the domestic flight is not too high and it's not a disaster if you miss it - then go for it (just don't try it with checked luggage). There's a 90% chance you'll make it. But if time is too tight when you arrive - just book another flight and chill out in Bangkok for a night.

• Like 1

Why don't you catch the THAI flight that gets in around 6 or 7am then? That way you can make your connection and not waste a night in Bangkok. Also, isn't luggage heading to a THAI domestic flight automatically transferred? You don't need to clear immigration along with everyone else, you can clear it inside the airport and head to the domestic transfer desk (that's where the immigration counters are located and there is never a long queue). Make sure your luggage is tagged to it's final destination. I believe this should work even if you do choose to fly with EVA Air rather than THAI.

If you're transferring to Bangkok Airways you can check your bags all the way through to your final destination which should save a bit of time, but even by my standards you're cutting it fine.

When I get off the aircraft at Bangkok all I want is a bed at one of the local hotels. You can get several hours rest and take an evening flight?

1,000 baht will cover it and worth every satang in my case.

Edited by Jay Sata

If you're transferring to Bangkok Airways you can check your bags all the way through to your final destination which should save a bit of time, but even by my standards you're cutting it fine.

Can also be done if connecting onto TG or TG Smile. If OP has 50+ minutes between flights he should be (in theory and ticket issuance) be safe, however if seperate PNR's, the OP could be up the proverbial creek sans proverbial paddle...

OP are your flights on the same PNR or issued seperately? Who are you flying domestically with?

Edited by GrantSmith

Can also be done if connecting onto TG or TG Smile. If OP has 50+ minutes between flights he should be (in theory and ticket issuance) be safe, however if seperate PNR's, the OP could be up the proverbial creek sans proverbial paddle...

OP are your flights on the same PNR or issued seperately? Who are you flying domestically with?

I doubt luggage could be checked through unless there is Customs at the final destination. Immigration could be cleared in BKK, but unless the final destination is an international gateway, with Customs facilities, then you'd have to collect baggage in BKK.

No, was trying to connect between an EVA and Thai domestic flight, with no more after 4 pm that day. Have already decided to kip in BKK for night and get a Nok flight next day from DM, as think chances of arriving early on EVA flight too slim to take the risk of making connection.