Static Ip Address

Tufty

Could somebody please help me.

I like to download English TV from UKNOva using p2p bit torrents, and I am having real problems trying to set up a static IP address, (the UKNova forum says I need to have one in order to get remote connections) I have an SMC ADSL2 Barricade SMC7901BRA I have followed the instructions on the port foward site but it doesn't seam to work for me.

When I enter the IP address,DNS Sever address, Subnet mask and Default Gateway numbers (obtained by using IPCONFIG /ALL) in the TCP/IP Properties I get the message

"The IP address 192.168.2.xxx you have entered for this net work is already assigned to another adapter 'SMC ADSL2 Barricade'is hidden from the Network Connections folder because it is not physiclly in the computer. If the same address is assigned to both adapters and they both become active, only one of them will use this address. This may result in incorrect system configuration"

In the LAN settings for the router I have tried both enabling and disabling the DHCP Sever, and using the LAN IP address in the TCP/IP Properties but that doesn't work either. Every time I boot the computer it IP adress is always 192.168.2.xxx When I can connect to the net by enabling the DHCP Server and letting the computer obtain it's address automaticaly,Under the status button of the router it says

Status

You can use the Status screen to see the connection status for the router's WAN/LAN interfaces, firmware and hardware version numbers, any illegal attempts to access your network, as well as information on all DHCP client PCs currently connected to your network.

Current Time: 04/25/2006 01:58:07 pm

INTERNET

ADSL: CONNECTED

WAN IP: 58.147.78.xxx

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

Gateway: 58.147.0.20

Primary DNS: 203.130.159.20

Secondary DNS: 203.130.159.21

GATEWAY

IP Address: 192.168.2.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server: Enabled

Firewall: Enabled

UPnP: Enabled

INFORMATION

Numbers of DHCP Clients: 1

Runtime Code Version:

0.39 (Feb 25 2005 18:30:29)

Boot Code Version: 0.64

ADSL Modem Code Version: 03.02.06.00A

LAN MAC Address: 00-13-F7-0E-F6-F8

WAN MAC Address: 00-13-F7-0E-F6-F9

Hardware Version: 01

Serial Num: S546040427

VC1

VPI/VCI 0/33

Encapsulation LLC

Protocol PPPoE

IP Address 58.147.78.xxx

Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0

Gateway 58.147.0.20

Primary DNS 202.69.137.137

Secondary DNS 202.69.137.138

Although the DNS numbers given to me by the ISP are primary 203.130.159.20 and secondary 203.130.159.21 which I have entered under the WAN DNS button

Because this information doesn't change do I already have a fixed IP address assigned to me by the ISP and they change it on the other side of their server

I can get remote connections on other private trackers but never on UKNova and it obviously affects my ratio

The static IP address will be WAN side, WAN IP: 58.147.78.xxx.

This address will usually be dhcp assigned. Try checking a few times after rebooting PC and dsl modem.

Usually, one has to pay more for a static IP address and this is arranged and supplied by the dsl provider.

You shouldn't need a static IP to get inbound connections from UK Nova. I use it often with a dynamic IP and don't have any troubles.

The most important thing to get correct is the inbound port forwarding. If you say you already have inbound connections using other trackers, it should also work ok for UK Nova.

It can be helpful if your computer is assigned a static IP address by the router so that you can forward the appropriate ports in the router to your computer consistently. To do that, let Windows obtain the IP address automatically and then in the router assign a static IP address to your computer network name. Then forward the ports the torrent client uses to that address.

On the other hand if your router supports UPnP, then this should not really be necessary. Enable UPnP in the router and then tell your torrent client to use UPnP in its Preferences.

I've found the best torrent clients to be utorrent and Bitcomet. I like Bitcomet better mainly because utorrent interferes w/ other programs on my machine unless I lower its priority. However, many people prefer utorrent. Bitspirit, as mentioned, is also good and handles routers well.

Edited by JSixpack

"The IP address 192.168.2.xxx you have entered for this net work is already assigned to another adapter 'SMC ADSL2 Barricade'is hidden from the Network Connections folder because it is not physiclly in the computer. If the same address is assigned to both adapters and they both become active, only one of them will use this address. This may result in incorrect system configuration"

Just took the time to read the post properly (sorry).

You appear to be allocating the same IP to your PC as the router is already set to. Just increase the last digit by 1 and try again :o

hi'

p2p lost again ...

whatever you enter as settings in your routeur, dhcp or static, the important thing is your connection settings.

the routeur dhcp range should start from 192.168.1.20 or 25, then you set your connection out of this range of address, 192.168.1.12, dns can or should be set as the routeur address, YES, same that the gateway!

your routeur is a gateway and NAT also, don't forget it :o

then you may forward any port to the address you have set in your connection :D

francois

ps; no address in dmz unless you want to be nuked :D