Renewing 1 year Thai driver lic. to 5 year in Chiang Mai

kcore

Today I went with my son who is a student in Chiang Mai to get his 5 year lic. He already has a 1 year. The nice lady at the information desk surprised me with a list of things to be done. ( when I did mine 3 years ago I simple gave them my 1 year and they quickly and painlessly issued me my 5 year). So obviously things have changed and he now needs a residence certificate, a med cert, and passport photo copies of all relavence.

Question: He is a student and lives with me so has no lease agreement in his name. Can I go to CM immigration with my lease agreement to show HIS proof of residency.? Perhaps letter from Payap?

I really don't want to go to the embassy and pay for this .

Question: what's the latest on res. certificates at chiang Mai imm.?

Question: can you renew a one year and get another 1 year without the run around?

Thanks for your helpful replies .....

It is pretty simple, if you just follow the rules. It gets tougher when you try to re-write them. Here is the link to the DLT which shows exactly what you need to have for a renewal. I just did it 3 weeks ago, and everything listed here was needed.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Won't your landlord give you a lease with his name on it also? Just explain why you need it and they should understand. Good luck.