How Long Did You Wait Before Marrying Her?

Bluecat

From the moment you meet her, you waited  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We hear a lot about the marriages between farang men or women and their Thai counterparts. In the western world, it usually takes quite a long time (if ever, these days) in between the time you meet your "soul mate" and the time you marry her/him. Is it the same for the farang/thai relationships?

bluecat, you should have titled the thread "how long did you wait before marrying her or him?" :o

We met in December, married in August after having spent pretty much 24/7 together, still spend 24/7 together and celebrate 15 years this year. Not too sick of each other yet :D

A little over 2 years - chaperoned!

Married now 6 years this summer - still happy. :D

Voted 2+, and was surprised to see that this is the majority (of those willing to vote that is) - thought I'd pretty much be the only one. :D

I didn't consider thgose that are not married yet, because long term relationships (years as G/B friend) could be called common-law (yes I know it has no standing in LOS) - they may never get married. :D

I know so many that married very quickly - one after just 2 days with a 40 year age gap and no more than 6 sentances shared (in pidgeon English); they're still married after 14 years though (though not particularly happily I might add). :o

bluecat, you should have titled the thread "how long did you wait before marrying her or him?" :o

We met in December, married in August after having spent pretty much 24/7 together, still spend 24/7 together and celebrate 15 years this year. Not too sick of each other yet :D

SBK, i would say thats soul mate material

:D:D:D

Met my Palaya in June 1985, Married in August 1985, and still very happy both of us today 25th Feb 2004.

As Rod Steward sung many years ago – Some Guys Have All The Luck – could be true in one way or another………

Don’t forget Freddie Mercury contribution on this topic – Love Hurts – great song. :D

:o

What a selfish posting, sbk. You made EVERYBODY sick jealous and envious,.... :o:D

Though not married yet, I voted between 1-2 years. I've been with my ThaiGF for 4 months and we will probably wait another 8-12 months before the formal ceremony. Both she & I have a lot of personal things to take care in that time, as well as getting things set up properly in LOS. So it makes sense to wait. :o

I have been married for 25 years now. My wife and I first met at a New-Year party at the house of some common friends a couple of months after she arrived in Denmark. We married 8 months later. I expect that, when I retire from work 3 or 4 years from now, we will move to Thailand.

Axel,

As you probably know, it counts DOUBLE,... :o

Bluecat, you got me. :D So its not probably its 'for sure'.

I vividly remember the sneers of the local society when my new fiancee was 'imported' into good old Hong Kong, B.C.C. that was, and the all-time hitter of an old friend with his remark "If I had such alternatives, I would have sent mine home as well". :D He never told me what his wife's comments were.

My wife is not Thai, but I transliterate Asian as fitting into this threat. The waiting was looooong. But meanwhile married for nearly 25 years.

Not married yet but I voted between 1-2 years. Have been together with ThaiGF for about 4 months and will likely wait another 10-12 months before making things formal. Both she and I have to get a lot of things together in our personal lives before moving on to the next step. We also have to get housing and other arrangements taken care of for life in LOS. But so far so good.

Spee

I met my wife in 1999. We didn't date until a year and a half later. Then after a year, I had to live back in the States for a year. It was during that time that I realized that I was miserable living without her. When I got back, we moved in together and got married soon thereafter. It's only gotten better since then and, contrary to many horror stories you hear and read about, she is something I cherish everyday.

I think that one can engineer a suitable waiting period for both parties to agree that the proposed married arrangement is acceptable.

I came to Thailand on holiday to get laid and to look around for a suitable companion.

Found one and explained that on the basis of a few days together things looked good. So I proposed that she come to stay with me for awhile in the middle east where I was working and after 6 months or so of being together things were still OK. So we got married. We had already discussed support arrangements for her family and eventually settling in her family's community, buying property and etc.

So the 6 month mutually agreed 'waiting period' worked out OK. There were a couple of rough patches for which I had only myself to blame. We are now quite happy after 4 years together, the last year with her family in the small town where her family lives.

When you are interested in marriage you have to actively investigate whether it is a good proposition with the woman concerned...not wait for things to happen.

Dare to struggle...dare to win...