Two Step Snake

oldsailor35

Reading on the Vietnam war, i see the some still believe in the myth of the two step snake. This is just an American GI myth. Probably the most venomous snake in Vietnam is the Banded Krait. If bitten by that snake one becomes very sick, but unlikely to die. The worlds 10 most venomous snakes are all found in Australia in this order.....

Inland Taipan

Eastern Brown

Coastal Taipan

Tiger Snake

Black Tiger Snake

Beaked Sea Snake

Death Adder

Gwardar (Western brown snake)

Spotted Brown Snake

Australian Copperhead.

All these snakes are deadly and there several deaths reported each year. Compared to these listed there are other venomous snakes in Australia such as the Copper Bellied Black which can make one very sick, but having a small mouth, it is usually unable to bite, however this snake is a good guy to have in the garden as he kills and eats all the above. Snakes such as the King Cobra, Cottonmouth etc are really "pussy cats compared to the above. Also these Australian snakes have a very different type of paralysing venom to other snakes in the world unique to Australia.

• Like 1

and there several deaths reported each yea

Not true, there were 13 fatalities in the last 20 years. And according to median lethal dose testing, "only" 5 of the most poisonous snakes inhabit Australia.

A Cobra's bite can kill a human within 30 minutes so its worth being very wary of them even if they are pussy cats. Problem with cobras in my experience is that some flee and some are aggressive. I haven't seen many but the ones I have seen don't have any common behavior. Nesting cobras are extremely protective from what I understand. Australia might have the worst snakes, but I'll still worry about the ones we have here!

and there several deaths reported each yea

Not true, there were 13 fatalities in the last 20 years. And according to median lethal dose testing, "only" 5 of the most poisonous snakes inhabit Australia.

Refer to Queensland Parks & Wildlife