Blood in sputum

richardjm65

Symptoms - a few days ago I spotted blood in my sputum, bright red which over the last 6 days has darkened considerably. Cough required to get a hook on it could be described as thin and a bit shrill. Naturally, I'm concerned, but would like to know what tests I may expect or should ask for. I have moderate COPD and do not smoke. This happened once before and the pulmonologist surmised it could be a ruptured blood vessel, but I don't recall the amount of blood being so noticeable or lasting so long.

Another thing that might or might not be in the mix is that I concluded a year of treatment for DVT about 6 months ago - is it possible that this could be a minor pulmonary embolism? There's one other thing, a gallstone attack which began within a day of the blood appearing, though I don't see how that could be connected. I appreciate that this could be a symptom of other more worrying possibilities, so a check up is a necessity, but what checks? I've stopped using the baby aspirin to see if that has an effect. I also recently changed one of my COPD meds from a salmeterol/fluticasone to spiriva, as I believe the former might have been responsible for hoarseness and voice loss. That seems to have improved.

There's no pain or discomfort (other than the cough) and lethargy, fatigue and sore eyes. Any wise words?

The fact that the blood became darker may indicate that the bleed occurred deeper in the lung tissue and it could indeed mean a repeat embolism or rupture of a vessel.

This needs urgent attention at a proper facility and by a qualified pulmonologist.

Following the offered advice, I called my pulmonologist and have an appointment for Monday - a three day admission for a bronchoscope. Perhaps the bleeding will have stopped before then, I do hope so.

Even if it has, proceed with the test and admission.