English word for fish called Bar-two?

BIGJIMMY

Hi, we're in the UK and the Mrs is trying to find the English translation of a Thai fish called 'Bar-two' i'm writing that as it sounds, I've tried translate online etc and it's obviously spelt wrong for it to know it, thats how it reads, if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

Mrs E

"

Could also be Pla Dook - Cat Fish I suppose, the "Dook" is said quite fast with the "K" swallowed, so could sound like "Two""

???

Could also be pla bla bla bla nothing related to the discussion. Did you even notice that there were links to pictures and that the OP has already confirmed it.

Why post without reading any of the other posts on the thread?

ดุก is a short "duk" and for an English person, it would hardly sound like "two". Besides it's totally different consonant sound d and t which is clearly distinguished in English. Except maybe if you're saying "duk" with a heavy Indian accent...

But it would still be a very short "u" than a long "u", so I think you're really stretching it if you say it may sound like "two".

I also agree with zeichen.

They'd certainly be able to see the difference between a mackerel and a catfish, if not, then I guess hearing "duk" as "two" maybe not too far fetched.

ปลาทู (pla thu) Short mackerel Rastrelliger brachysoma

("thu" is RTGS transcript and sounda somewhat similar to english "two")

The English WiKi explains the importance of pla thu for the Thai cuisine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_mackerel

And that is the typical serving at the markets:

640px-Thanin_market_platu.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2