Set up router in a hotel room?

elzach

Trying to set up a Trendnet router in a hotel room with a DSL connection (no modem) that requires the username and password to connect. But even as a wired router I can't get the connection. The moment I plug the ethernet cable to WAN and connect another cable to my computer, I lose the connection, it tries to identify and it gives me a LAN connection name I used months ago in another country. I reset the router, no luck.

The lights on the router are working as they should.

What would be the first step to set up the connection as a wired router?

Thanks!

Edited by elzach

You lose "the connection?" From a wire coming into the room? You can connect without the Trendnet router?

Offhand it sounds like the hotel has a router and you are part of that subnet. You can't have two routers on the same subnet. The second router will find the first router, but never the internet. The first router is acting as a firewall, in layman's terms.

You need to log into that Trendnet and set it to bridge mode so that it stops assigning IP addresses, etc. You are really wanting a wireless repeater, not a router.

Once done, the Trendnet will broadcast signals that can be used by several devices, and also probably has some wired ports that can be used.

If you don't have the manual for the Trendnet, find it online and find out how to log into it and change its settings. I can tell you that you do it with your web browser after hooking the router directly to your computer in this case, with the router not attached to the hotel's line.

Or, if you want to take a shot at my hunch, after connecting, open your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. If that's it, a dialog box will pop up asking for user/pass. I think they are both admin by default.

That router should have a small hole in the back about the size of a paper clip wire. With the router plugged in, put something into that hole and push until you feel a detent. Hold that until a light flashes. That will set the router back to defaults, including IP and user/pass.

You lose "the connection?" From a wire coming into the room? You can connect without the Trendnet router?

Offhand it sounds like the hotel has a router and you are part of that subnet. You can't have two routers on the same subnet. The second router will find the first router, but never the internet. The first router is acting as a firewall, in layman's terms.

You need to log into that Trendnet and set it to bridge mode so that it stops assigning IP addresses, etc. You are really wanting a wireless repeater, not a router.

Once done, the Trendnet will broadcast signals that can be used by several devices, and also probably has some wired ports that can be used.

If you don't have the manual for the Trendnet, find it online and find out how to log into it and change its settings. I can tell you that you do it with your web browser after hooking the router directly to your computer in this case, with the router not attached to the hotel's line.

Or, if you want to take a shot at my hunch, after connecting, open your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. If that's it, a dialog box will pop up asking for user/pass. I think they are both admin by default.

That router should have a small hole in the back about the size of a paper clip wire. With the router plugged in, put something into that hole and push until you feel a detent. Hold that until a light flashes. That will set the router back to defaults, including IP and user/pass.

Thanks a lot. Yes, that hotel connection is basically a router. I unplugged everything, reconnected and it worked.