Criminalising anti-Buddhist acts is not very Buddhist

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Knowing Buddha is just like other segments of Thai culture, and is only trying to appear more western by imitating the hypocritical western religions. Unlike western religions, fundamental Buddhism embraces acceptance and forgiveness by providing a more humanitarian path to those who have "strayed". It is not about statues and other worldly symbolic gestures. When examining the philosophy of the Knowing Buddha fringe cult, it appears to be in essence, the Anti Buddha and places nationalism above spirituality.

• Like 1

Good article! It clearly shows a sensible view. After reading I felt there is much hope for Thailand, because fanatic view are not left unchallenged and exposed for what they are.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Good article! It clearly shows a sensible view. After reading I felt there is much hope for Thailand, because fanatic view are not left unchallenged and exposed for what they are.

These intolerant kooks were allowed the privilege of speaking before the Thai Senate. As far as I know, the Senate didn't hear any arguments against their view.

I have noticed large signs going up in English at immigration points recently telling people not to have Buddha image tattoos or clothing. It seems there is some momentum for this.

I would say let them enforce in Thailand whatever they want but stop with the export of there drivel to other countries

I have noticed large signs going up in English at immigration points recently telling people not to have Buddha image tattoos or clothing. It seems there is some momentum for this.

I guess it you arrive in Thailand with a Buddha tattoo the send you back or if you try to leave with a Buddha tattoo, you have to stay (in prison for overstayed visa?) until you have it removed. I wonder if they will begin clothing searches soon. There may be momentum, but it is unenforceable.

I take heavy offense that Thailand thinks that its the heart of Buddhism. No, sorry but thats Nepal, and knowing Thai people, they always never showed respect to people that are "khaeks". I mean, Budda was originally a Hindu person, but dont let anybody know that.

• Like 2

I wonder what the Burmese version is viewed as. Monks leading protest's Muslims being persecuted and killed. It would seem there are many strange beliefs in the different sects them selves. I wonder if Buddha was to come back today and walk the streets of Buddhism would he like Jesus and Christianity want to proclaim there innocence of the whole affair.

I'm not knowledgeable in the least about Buddhisim but Thais trying to claim images as Thai property is in keeping with Thainess.

I can't express a personal opinion but have been told by friends who have travelled in other Buddhist countries that the Thai version is actually looked down on and one of the main reasons is the perception of materialism. Incidentally i was told this years ago and long before the activities of a fugitive ex-monk, and others, became headline news.

I guess it you arrive in Thailand with a Buddha tattoo the send you back or if you try to leave with a Buddha tattoo, you have to stay (in prison for overstayed visa?) until you have it removed. I wonder if they will begin clothing searches soon. There may be momentum, but it is unenforceable.

I know leaving Thailand with a statue of Buddha for your own personal use is illegal but shipping them for commercial purposes is legal Not sure why a tattoo upon arrival and a shirt with a respectful image on it would be frowned on when entering the country. Not that I think there is many cases of it happening.

The whole article made me think of a group of Buddhists trying to turn Buddhism into some thing like Islam where they persecute you if you do not show what to them is perfect respect to Allah and the abuse of women.

OK I threw the last bit in.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Maybe this group should also tackle the issue of why Thai buddhists relish the eating of so much meat, along with their cruelty to animals, especially zoo animals and endangered species, dogs etc. i don't believe most Thais respect Buddhism, it's just a convenient means to a hassle free life. All that suffering that leads to nirvana isn't for them.

• Like 1

And what is a Buddha tattoo and what is just a tattoo of a thai man who looks similar to Buddha?

• Like 1